Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Site size

• 13-02-2009 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I am thinking of buying a site to build a house - nothing huge just fairly normal. I would sacrifice size for location to be honest.

The sizes of sites vary so much but I would like to find out what is possibly the smallest anyone would except (for a smallish bungalow - 3 bed).

Came across a site that .1 of an acre - is this too small for anything or would it be ok? Location is good - quiet cul de sac.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

There are minimum site size requirements in different countys development plan. If you need an on-site waste water treatment plant then the minimum is anything from 1/2 acre to 3/4 acre depending on county.

Area is one aspect but also look at the proportions, a long narow site might not be ideal for fitting a single storey house on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 gooner1

Thanks for the info.

As far as I am aware there is no need for an on-site sewerage facility as there is one in the area so that possibly allow for the house to be built on a smaller site. The site itself is fairly square so not that long and narrow from what I can judge. It has planning permission too for a bungalow but I just wanted to see if this was really allowing for no other space but the house.

Has anyone built anything on this size of site before and if so how did it work out?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

0.1 acre is approx. 20m by 20m.
    if you take 5m front garden, 10m depth of house and min 10m back garden then it only leaves a house width of 16m.
    Its very tight for a bungalow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭clint_eastman

gooner1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info.

As far as I am aware there is no need for an on-site sewerage facility as there is one in the area so that possibly allow for the house to be built on a smaller site. The site itself is fairly square so not that long and narrow from what I can judge. It has planning permission too for a bungalow but I just wanted to see if this was really allowing for no other space but the house.

Has anyone built anything on this size of site before and if so how did it work out?

Thanks.

I'm in county Limerick and it possibly vaires from county to county but the situation here is as follows AFAIK:

If you need to install a septic tank or wastewater treatment system then you need a minimum of 0.5 acres for a one off site.

If you don't need to install a septic tank or treatment system (remembering the only way you would not need to install one of these is if the site is serviced by a public sewerage main running close to the site) then the minimum size requirement is 0.2 acres.

Advertisement