Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Puraflo running costs

• 13-02-2009 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I need to find out what the expected running costs of a puraflo system should be. The story behind this is due to a shocking high ESB bill I started to look into the power consumption of my house, and it appears that the puraflo pump is pumping for 1 min in a 3 min period. So my pump is running for 20 mins )approx 7KW a day,adding about 80 euro to my bill every 2 months) an hour. I have had issues with ground water getting into the tank, and I have had drainage dug around the system, might need to go deeper.
    But to see if this is really the issue I would like to find out what other systems are running like. I.E. is the pump running as often as mine, are others costing the same to run.

Thanks in advance ,
    Tony

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Tony

I have a puraflo too but have never noticed the pump running much. I've just got an electricty usage monitor which i will install one of the days and I'll isolate the puraflo for a while to see if it uses much. I shouldn't think so though. The main problem in my house is too many lights and only one fool to turn them off!!!

You shouldn't be getting groundwater into your septic tank, if it can get in it can also get out, have you checked your plumbing is there a leak somewhere letting water into a drain or the ground adjacent and thereby into the tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 no1donjuan

Tony,

I take it from your post that your pump is rated at 350 watts?

therefore this is what i reckon it should actually cost you.

350 watt motor rating
    20 min per hour
    if pump was on for 24hr solid: usage over a 24hr period = (350*24)= 8400 watts

however pump is only on for 20min out of 60min or approx 1/3 of the hour

total usage over a 24hr period is approx 8400*.333 = 2800watts
    electricity is charged at a rate of .15cent per kwh
    2800watts = 2.8kwh
    actual cost X vat per day is 0.42 euro or 42cent

esb is billed bi monthly so extra cost x vat should be approx 23 euro.

Very Very short version.

there is a major problem that your pump is coming on so often. Has the pump got a float switch attached and is it getting tangled?

Is more ground water getting into the system. If so then your unit will flush solids into your percolation area and you will have trouble here in the future?
    it is vital to keep ground water out.

If you percolation area already clogged and the pump can not pump into the system as it is clogged?

hope this helps

Advertisement