Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor ski resort in dublin is opposed?

Options
  • 13-02-2009 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so i do not ski so i do not care, however according this this The development in tyrellstown would create 1000 jobs and inject €30m into the economy.

How can anyone justify being opposed to such a thing in the current economic climate?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

Actually thought it was a joke when I first heard about it.
    Are we gonna build some palm islands too?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Yes my first reaction was "why?" But think about it... I think it would do great business especially from snowboard junkies who can not afford to hit the slopes or just want to practice.

The Images of a similar one in the UK look impressive. If they were to incorporate an ice rink in the development as well it would be great idea too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

You are all missing the most important element of the story.

They're calling it 'Snowtopia' - gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Dont these things drink power. SNowtopia is evil

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Grimes wrote: »
    Dont these things drink power. SNowtopia is evil

Well if we had the Balls to switch to Nuclear power its would solve this problem and alot of others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭sweetie

Well if we had the Balls to switch to Nuclear power its would solve this problem and alot of others.

surely our balls would be one of the things affected if the nuclear option went wrong? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭sagat

Saruman wrote: »
    How can anyone justify being opposed to such a thing in the current economic climate?

Cause this is Ireland and somebody didn't get their usual brown paper envelope stuffed with cash to approve the development.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

sagat wrote: »
    Cause this is Ireland and somebody didn't get their usual brown paper envelope stuffed with cash to approve the development.

more like this is Ireland and there are people that would object to the opening of an envelope, nevermind a ski slope

It was the IDA that objected too, im not sure they have anything to do with planning so i can only assume its because they might want the land themselves in the future.

Pretty stupid since there are IDA estates beginning to empty and some like Mullingar that have never been finished or barely even started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Cos the land they want to build on is zoned as science and industrial
    this was done as part of the dody planning deals which is being investigated
    by the tribunals. With Laim Lawor now dead who knows if the truth of how
    so much of that land got rezoned will come out.

Vast tracts of what is zone that way and is under the remit of the IDA
    is just bare land with fencing on it atm out tryellstowns S15 direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

sweetie wrote: »
    surely our balls would be one of the things affected if the nuclear option went wrong? :D

I would welcome a 3rd testical ;)

Oh right, so there was some brown paper bag stuff involved.

either way, we should be encouraging this sort of investment rather than digging our heels in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Not in my back yard!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

isn't there one in sandyford?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

DeBeere wrote: »
    Actually thought it was a joke when I first heard about it.
    Are we gonna build some palm islands too?

Why did you think it was a joke? They have these in most countries you know. It was the same when some developers were looking to build a massive theme park in Ireland - it just seems that projects which are commonplace and easy to pursue in other countries are a hundred times more difficult here due to stupid attitudes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Due to the people that run our country being morons if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

How would a complex like that create 1000 jobs exactly?
    I'm sick of seeing that sorta crap in press releases...
    I'm guessing it'd create somewhere between 50 and 200 jobs, maximum, in the year or two before it goes bankrupt...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Its not only a skiing place, its going to be a shopping places as far as i know.
    Plus they're talking about the sorounding area as well.

Advertisement