Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bate em Down!!!: How to get a Bargain Rent

Options
  • 13-02-2009 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

I'm currently looking to rent an apartment. Standard 2 bed dealy. Its in a largish county town, lets keep specific details out for now.

Daft.ie has ones from 700 - 800 euro.
    Talked to an auctioneer who said apartments are "going like hotcakes" and I'd want to go view them quickly. Oh yeah? Then why have the same apartments been advertised for weeks?!!

Is he telling porkies? My guess is yes, definitely. But with less people buying houses perhaps more people are renting?

Long story short, I want to know if I can beat the landlords/auctioneers down to a better price. Have any of you guys managed to get a bargain rent in the, ahem, current economic climate (yes, that phrase again!!!)?
    What should I be paying? 700-800 euro for an apt in a town (not a city) sounds like Feb 2008 prices, surely I should be paying much less in Feb 2009?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Agents all ways put adds up before they get the keys.
    There base been load of time I see an apartment on daft been dumped even day/week that when I call they say there waiting on work to be done or key, etc and to call back in a week. This normally turns into a weekly thing of been told to ring back over and over again.

/rant over.
    Then why have the same apartments been advertised for weeks?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

I'm currently looking to rent an apartment. Standard 2 bed dealy. Its in a largish county town, lets keep specific details out for now.

Daft.ie has ones from 700 - 800 euro.
    Talked to an auctioneer who said apartments are "going like hotcakes" and I'd want to go view them quickly. Oh yeah? Then why have the same apartments been advertised for weeks?!!

Is he telling porkies? My guess is yes, definitely. But with less people buying houses perhaps more people are renting?

Long story short, I want to know if I can beat the landlords/auctioneers down to a better price. Have any of you guys managed to get a bargain rent in the, ahem, current economic climate (yes, that phrase again!!!)?
    What should I be paying? 700-800 euro for an apt in a town 9not a city) sounds like Feb 2008 prices, surely I should be paying much less in Feb 2009?

im paying 540 for a 3 bedroomed apt so tell him to feck off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭NickCarraway

Cheers, thought as much!Have seen a few place, mostly small houses, in that price bracket but they look like they haven't been redecorated since the 1960s. Is your gaff modern?

I'm not good at bargaining, find it hard to be a hardass. But also don't want to pay over the odds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

sounds fairly expensive to be honest. there are 90+ places on daft at the moment for cavan town, and more than enough of them are 3/4 bed houses for ~€600

however, if the average price of what you're looking for is 700-800 in your area and there are plenty of places at this price it wont be easy to argue the price down.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Moved from After Hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

Avoid agents at all costs. See reasons above and thats only for starters. Have deall with them as both a tennant and a landlord and I would never go near them again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

I'm guessing that's not in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭NickCarraway

Adam wrote: »
    sounds fairly expensive to be honest. there are 90+ places on daft at the moment for cavan town, and more than enough of them are 3/4 bed houses for ~€600

however, if the average price of what you're looking for is 700-800 in your area and there are plenty of places at this price it wont be easy to argue the price down.

A good few houses for the 600 - 700 mark, but I'm looking for an apartment. Only a few on the site, but similar prices (~800).
    Whats weird is that I was living in a really lovely 2 bed in a different town (lets call it town B) last year for 700 euro. Now Town B is a good bit bigger than town A and, in my opinion, is a more desirable place to live. I just feel 800 euro to live in town A, when rents everywhere are supposed to be falling, is a joke.
    Worried about going in cocksure, demanding 200 euro be dropped and being laughed out of the place (and not being able to show my face in one of the few auctioneers in town again!). But if I think I'm right to ask for a reduced rent then I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

You will be hard pushed to get a "small" bedsit for that price in Dublin City Centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Jack Bauer999

A good few houses for the 600 - 700 mark, but I'm looking for an apartment. Only a few on the site, but similar prices (~800).
    Whats weird is that I was living in a really lovely 2 bed in a different town (lets call it town B) last year for 700 euro. Now Town B is a good bit bigger than town A and, in my opinion, is a more desirable place to live. I just feel 800 euro to live in town A, when rents everywhere are supposed to be falling, is a joke.
    Worried about going in cocksure, demanding 200 euro be dropped and being laughed out of the place (and not being able to show my face in one of the few auctioneers in town again!). But if I think I'm right to ask for a reduced rent then I will.

If there are other houses in the same location, are the same price and getting tenants no problem then they are not going to drop the price on your one by 200. Why would they if they can rent it out to someone else for that price.

Its only if the demand was not there/the other houses were cheaper than yours would you have a case to bargain with.

• Advertisement

Cheers, thought as much!Have seen a few place, mostly small houses, in that price bracket but they look like they haven't been redecorated since the 1960s. Is your gaff modern?

I'm not good at bargaining, find it hard to be a hardass. But also don't want to pay over the odds.

yep its pretty modern- new cooker and boiler just been put in by our landlord

that auctioneer has some brass neck- though its a known fact that down here in tipp we have some of the cheapest rents in ireland so could be different where you are

I'm guessing that's not in Dublin

nope tipperary

Advertisement