Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best games...

• 13-02-2009 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

... dont have xbox live due to a rotten connection, so what games are best for someone who can't connect live but still likes a good shoot em up, road race, sports game????

gears of war 2??
    COD 4 or 5??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭hosi

Definitely Gears of War 1 and 2. But without xbox live you will miss a lot dude!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

GTA4 would be perfect for you if you don't have XBL. Has a mix of running, gunning and driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Bioshock and gears and gta but considering they are my only games so far I am not the most experienced to comment. These were the game i bought an xbox for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Presuming you've no one for Co-op either I'd have to say Call of Duty 4, Bioshock or Fallout 3 for shooting, GRID for racing and FIFA 09 for sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Fallout 3, Mass Effect, FIFA 09, Madden 09, Call of Duty 2, Gears of War I & II

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Mass Effect 2 for story and shooting rpg

GTA - for above and fun and driving

FIFA 09 - For sports

COD:WAW shooting

Battlestations Midway - For Action/strategy

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

to skywalkers list I would add Forza 2 for driving sim.

Fable 2 (Fantasy RPG) if you are bored with life and never want to see your friends or family for a few months. :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Macker14717

all are good games for fps gow is good if you want futureistic weapons and killin aliens otherwise id suggest cod mw or wow:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

EDF! EDF! EDF!

Earth Defence Force 2097. Stupidly good brainless blasting at a steal of a price. Should be rubbish but is just massively enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Like I say every time this thread comes up; (7 so far this year by my reckoning)

Dead or Alive Xtreme 2
    Any collection is naked without it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

bio shock great, fallout 3 for its 70 hours of epicness :D, project gotham racing 4 for jusr being most fun driving game ive played since my gran tourismo days.

+1 for mass effect , just started it this week , not sure why it took me so long to play it, rpg elements might put some off it though. My only gripe with it when i 1st started playing was you didnt have to reload the gun's they used that really annoying over heating system :mad:

others ive really liked recently

gears of war 2
    skate 2 - suffered some hairloss from playing this can be rewardingly frustrating if that makes sense :D
    deadspace - great but you'll never play it again once you finish it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

tman wrote: »
    Dead or Alive Xtreme 2
    Any collection is naked without it!

Bachelors choice award winner 2007.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

+1 for GTA IV and Fallout3, also Oblivion if you're into sword swinging.
    Forza and Bioshock can get boring I find. Have a look at Assassins Creed, good game but it gets a lot of hate.

I picked up Banjo Kazzoie: Nuts and Bolts which is quite good fun!

COD4 < thats all i play anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Oblivion,Fallout 3 and my game of 2008 Alone in the dark try also dead space

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

luckyfrank wrote: »
    and my game of 2008 Alone in the dark

Seriously???
    Or are you following my lead and posting a badly broken game?
    It may be worth a quick play if you can get it cheap, but is by no means an essential imo...

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

That must be a troll, it must be! ALone in the dark is broken to the point of hi-larity! Even the developers admit to that!!

Also, the lack of "Halo 3" suggestions makes me very happy.
    GTA4 would be good if you like to be bored to death. And you like the colour brown...

Far-Cry 2 offers an enormous single player experience, and Rock Band is great fun if you've got the money.

Then the usual COD4/Bioshock suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭SteveDPirate

Some of the suggestions are good.......... but as alternatives:

Instead of Forza 2, try Burnout Paradise. It's balls out, fun, crazy, fast arcade racing. And lots of other fun challenges.

Instead of GTA IV, try Crackdown. It's really good fun, but short, open world gameplay. You feel like a superhero later on once your levels max out.

And for a FPS game, instead of all the suggestions before, get Half Life: The Orange Box. It's head and shoulders better than Halo, CoD etc for a single player offline shooter. There's a massive amount of gameplay there............ and also Portal :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

COD4 for a shooting game, Forza 2 for the best racing sim ever.,:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

brilliant stuff, thanks one and all

• Advertisement

Some of the suggestions are good.......... but as alternatives:

Instead of Forza 2, try Burnout Paradise. It's balls out, fun, crazy, fast arcade racing. And lots of other fun challenges.

Instead of GTA IV, try Crackdown. It's really good fun, but short, open world gameplay. You feel like a superhero later on once your levels max out.

And for a FPS game, instead of all the suggestions before, get Half Life: The Orange Box. It's head and shoulders better than Halo, CoD etc for a single player offline shooter. There's a massive amount of gameplay there............ and also Portal :D

What this guy said, particularly with the Orange Box

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Can't believe I forgot the Orange Box.

Half-Life only exists on the PC, no where else... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

tman wrote: »
    Seriously???
    Or are you following my lead and posting a badly broken game?
    It may be worth a quick play if you can get it cheap, but is by no means an essential imo...

The game played smooth as a button for me i didnt notice one glitch even though i heard many people had issues i just though WOW when i played it great survival horror

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,329 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

if you're a fan of retro gaming the mega drive ultimate collection is released on Friday. 49 in 1 including about 5 sonic games and the best fighting games ever, the Streets of Rage trilogy. Can't wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,329 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

also better to steer clear of the COD games without XBL because they are reeeaaally short in single player. Good fun though but only lasts a couple of hours

CoD4=Amazing, emotional single player experience... I shed a tear at the end when

ACTUAL SPOILER, DO NOT READ IF YOU'VE NOT PLAYED THE GAME
    captain price died... Really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 defness

Cannot believe no-one has mentioned Farcry 2. Its unbelievable! Has 50km squared land area.

Fifa 09
    Forza
    COD 4+5
    Rock Band

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

for jrpg in the same vein as final fantasy... Lost Oddessy! new res evil is out soon hang on for that woopa!!

defness wrote: »
    Cannot believe no-one has mentioned Farcry 2. Its unbelievable! Has 50km squared land area.

Yeah, no one at all mentioned it... except me, about 7 posts up ¬_¬

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

mass effect, dead space, fable 2, fallout 3, orange box, bioshock get my non xbox live vote
    the next tom clancy game HAWX looks like a bit of craic too, although I think the brand is over leveraged

Advertisement