Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to Invest in property these days?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭bobbiw

Every reasonable person on earth accepts the fact that you no longer will make money on Irish property. It is going to fall for the next decade.

Prices will most likely settle after a huge drop, all the new houses built in the last 10 years will be hit hardest.

The houses that are more period style maybe less so. I dont think you will be getting a Ballsbridge georgian home for 100k but you will see them drop from 4-5m to 1-2m,

Ireland was third world in the 80s with homes going for 50k in leafy south side suburbs. Its going to go back to that.

But of course the average FTB will not be getting one becasue for the crash to go like that you will be making 10k a year in McDonalds and there will not be any work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

bobbiw wrote: »
    Every reasonable person on earth accepts the fact that you no longer will make money on Irish property. It is going to fall for the next decade.

Prices will most likely settle after a huge drop, all the new houses built in the last 10 years will be hit hardest.

The houses that are more period style maybe less so. I dont think you will be getting a Ballsbridge georgian home for 100k but you will see them drop from 4-5m to 1-2m,

Ireland was third world in the 80s with homes going for 50k in leafy south side suburbs. Its going to go back to that.

But of course the average FTB will not be getting one becasue for the crash to go like that you will be making 10k a year in McDonalds and there will not be any work.

not doubting your insight can you explain what your basing it on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Ireland will surely recover what with all the experts who have crawled out of the woodwork since the property market collapsed. It's amazing that everyone who speaks on the subject now saw it coming and can't believe how stupid other people were.

I'd predict that 90% of people offering an opinion now claim to have seen it coming. With this kind of knowledgable public Ireland should be safe in the future, it's either that or the majority of people are full of sh*t and get some weird feeling of superiority by claiming to have seen it coming.

Not directed at anyone in particular ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Ireland will surely recover what with all the experts who have crawled out of the woodwork since the property market collapsed. It's amazing that everyone who speaks on the subject now saw it coming and can't believe how stupid other people were.

The majority of the bears on this forum have been talking about our crazy house prices, etc. for years.

For example, I have been posting on thepropertypin for about two years, and have thought our property market is insane for even longer.

If you're the type of person who doesn't have his head in the sand and who doesn't believe sales people, this stuff was obvious.

Do you think that there is a american company in Ireland that is not looking to move to eastern europe.

Many will not say this but seriously do you think that they are not looking at econominc data to see if leaving would be more costly than staying.

Irish property was at a stupid level. It was fueled by greed, not by need.

i think Ireland has had its day and I really dont think there will be a real recovery.

• Advertisement

bobbiw wrote: »
    Do you think that there is a american company in Ireland that is not looking to move to eastern europe.

Many will not say this but seriously do you think that they are not looking at econominc data to see if leaving would be more costly than staying.

Irish property was at a stupid level. It was fueled by greed, not by need.

i think Ireland has had its day and I really dont think there will be a real recovery.

i'll ask again

what are you basing this on?

What do you want me to base it on.

Ireland is one of the most expensive countries in the world now.
    Back in the 90s it wasnt and it gave big tax breaks to foreign investment.

It also got a ton of money out of europe.

Now that has changed, Ireland is no longer competitive.

The building industry is all but gone, all the ancillary industries will start to hurt in 12-18 months.

Ireland never had much going for it, there was no reason prices increased the way they did.

So here is the question, what is keeping American investment in Ireland.

Its common sense to realize that it is not for love!, its for money.

If it is cheaper to operate and maintain a Irish base than move then companies will do that.

If a eastern european country offered enough (like with dell) they would all be gone.

everything

all the posts seem to contradict each other.

people on 35k shouldn't be able to afford a home of their own

but yet your stating they're hugely over valued

it just seems like you have had an overload of recent press cuttings and are talking utter nonsense

to sum it up is that prices are overpriced. They will drop by huge amounts but for this to happen there has to be a collapse.

Now when they drop to 100k or whatever the person on 35k will not be able to buy one.

why, because for them to drop to 100k all the people who could have bought them at 150 will not have jobs,

So what I am saying is that Ireland is potentialy headed for en economic meltdown, where taxes will be increased heavily to pay for social services and interest rates will rise.

there may be people on 35k but it wont be the people who are on that today, it will be the people who were on 100k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Ireland is the great EU experiment. Migrant workers and a wide open economy. Its proved to be good when the global economy is good and bad when the global economy is bad. There is nothing to suggest anything else is happening. When the global economy recovers, Ireland will recover (and imo it also depends on whether we can recover our pro EU image after the Lisbon debacle). To say Ireland will never recover is saying the world will never recover. People talked about how every bubble is the same and laughed at people who said "ah but this time is different". Now those same people who laughed are the ones saying that this time the bust is different.

If there's one thing I've learnt over the past 10 years is that the Irish love their band wagons. Something's not worth doing unless everyone is doing it. When in fact the complete opposite is true. Now there's no band wagon people don't know what to do. So they're trying to create a new band wagon called the "lets all regurgitate what we read in the papers and see on the news and sit at home doing nothing cause sure aren't we all doomed to lose our jobs and go back to 1980" band wagon. All aboard!

Whats that got to do with property? Everything. This talk that behind it all there's actually something else going on or something happening in Ireland that is not happening in the rest of the world is utter nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

20goto10 wrote: »
    How exactly are you losing money? This is boom talk turned on its head! Nothing happens until you sell it...

How exactly do you finance your investment, do you mind tying up money in and investment that is costing youn money ?
    Do you usually go for long term investments that cost you money for x no.of years before they start to break even ?

Ireland is the great EU experiment. Migrant workers and a wide open economy. Its proved to be good when the global economy is good and bad when the global economy is bad. There is nothing to suggest anything else is happening. When the global economy recovers, Ireland will recover (and imo it also depends on whether we can recover our pro EU image after the Lisbon debacle). To say Ireland will never recover is saying the world will never recover. People talked about how every bubble is the same and laughed at people who said "ah but this time is different". Now those same people who laughed are the ones saying that this time the bust is different....

Oh FFS, you appear to be singing from the FF hymm sheet. It is all a global problem and everything will be fine once the global economy recovers.
    No mention of fact that average house price is 10 times multiple of average industrial wage and there is an over supply in the market that will takes years to clear. There is also an oversupply in commerical market becuase business no longer exist.

Do you ever read newspapers or watch news on TV.
    Do you realise a lot of our indigenous industry has gone and a lot of our FDIs have upped stakes and headed to either Eastern Europe or Far East ?
    We are not competitive anymore, mainly because of the price of accomodation in this country over the last 7/8 years.
    And you want that price to go back up to the unsustainable 10 times plus multiple of average industrial wage :rolleyes:
    That ain't going to happen because no.1 they ain't going to be the cheap credit and no.2 we won't be able to raise salaries because of job market.

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote: »
    How exactly do you finance your investment, do you mind tying up money in and investment that is costing youn money ?
    Do you usually go for long term investments that cost you money for x no.of years before they start to break even ?
    Yes, actually thats what happens in a recession or any kind of downturn. I'm also lumping loads of money into my pension. If I was to cash that in now I'd lose a small fortune. If I was to buy a property now, do nothing to it and try to sell it in 2-4 years I'd also lose a small fortune. What exactly is your point? The world is doomed and we should all just sit at home and scratch our asses?

You are automatically assuming that anything built with bricks and mortars is a doomed failure indefinitely. And thats great, cause it was all the schmucks on the street jumping on the band wagon that caused this mess in the first place. So it really is best if Joe Schmuck went back to data inputting or shoe shinning or whatever it is he came from before he got the bright idea to make a quick buck by buying and selling shoe boxes holes in the middle of nowhere without even lifting as much as paint brush. That form of "investment" is not what I'm talking about.

Yes, actually thats what happens in a recession or any kind of downturn. I'm also lumping loads of money into my pension. If I was to cash that in now I'd lose a small fortune. If I was to buy a property now, do nothing to it and try to sell it in 2-4 years I'd also lose a small fortune. What exactly is your point? The world is doomed and we should all just sit at home and scratch our asses?

You are automatically assuming that anything built with bricks and mortars is a doomed failure indefinitely. And thats great, cause it was all the schmucks on the street jumping on the band wagon that caused this mess in the first place. So it really is best if Joe Schmuck went back to data inputting or shoe shinning or whatever it is he came from before he got the bright idea to make a quick buck by buying and selling shoe boxes holes in the middle of nowhere without even lifting as much as paint brush. That form of "investment" is not what I'm talking about.

What are you talking about?

My pension isn't currently losing any money because i moved it into cash.

it's not making as much as it might have in previous years but it's not losing money, I don't see what it has to do with the discussion tho.

If you have a choice of making money today AND making MORE money down the road

or losing your bo||ox today and making money down the road

what would you choose?

this doesn't take anything past 1st class primary school math's

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Fair enough about pensions, if they invest wisely in shares then good when share prices are low.
    Personnally I thought baout lumping loads into my pension but I do not trust an Irish pension fund not to just stick to old habit of putting it into top ISEQ companies that are probably not going to perform for next 10 years. Now EU based pension fund might be different.

Anyway back on topic to invest in property at moment.
    I would say it is fine if you have cash that you don't need quick access to and don't mind tying up pretty long term, but if you are going after mortgages it means you may be servicing a mortgage that is costing you more than the property is returning and at the same time the property may be worth less than what you paid for it (taking in inflation) for a good many years.
    As you have rightly pointed out property is no longer the quick path to riches by flipping after couple of months or years.

I do think you have an overly rosey outlook on Ireland's future.
    As someone mentioned London might be good place to get involved since they have far better chance of recovery and exchange rates are favourable but again it would be real long term.
    Ireland is a basket case and will probably be so for many many years.
    Don't hold out for property prices here to return to highs of early 2007 for another many years.

I am not allowed discuss …

ntlbell wrote: »
    What are you talking about?

My pension isn't currently losing any money because i moved it into cash.

it's not making as much as it might have in previous years but it's not losing money, I don't see what it has to do with the discussion tho.

If you have a choice of making money today AND making MORE money down the road

or losing your bo||ox today and making money down the road

what would you choose?

this doesn't take anything past 1st class primary school math's
    My stocks have an estimated value of what they are worth if I cashed them in now. but that is completely irrelavent as I'm nowhere near retirement. What counts are the amount of units I have and there's never been a better time for building up your stock. The cheaper they are the more you can buy and the more you buy the more profit you will make eventually. There are risks of course but I'm at the age where there is little risk involved and in fact the more I can buy now the better come retirement.

Similarly in an investment property, its what you own that matters and come selling time, if what you own is something worth buying then you'll make a profit.

I agree that if I wait another 2-3 years or so I'll get something even cheaper and my point will still stand only I won't have to wait so long to get my head above water so to speak. My point was, going a bit back now, that nows the time to start looking around. It all depends on the particular property. I believe some may be worth buying now because you can pretty much have the rent cover your mortgage, not your mortgage interest but your actual mortgage. Its also a buyers market, wait to long and you can lose the advantage. And more importantly if you do find something that has good letting value now and also shows potential for the future then you need to judge whether you're going to find something like that again if you let it go. Yes rents are going down but rate cuts are going down by much more, meaning it doesn't hurt the bottom line.

Thats all I've to say I don't think I can put the same point across in any more ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

Are you basing your assumptions about property on the recent past? Have a look-see at this. Residential property is not a particularly great long term investment. It just tracks inflation.

united_states_1890-2008.png

Advertisement