Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber frame extension over existing garage conversion

Options
  • 13-02-2009 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi all,

Hoping for some advice on this issue. Given the state of the property market we haven't a prayer of selling our house never mind getting a new mortgage so we've decided to stay put.

The latest addition to our family means we're running tight on space so we're thinking of extending out over the flat roof (converted) garage extension and knocking a door through the all too common window at the top of the stairs.

The house is on a slab but as we both work from home I want to try to minimise the disruption so I thought a timber frame extension might be the way to go. It would need a hipped roof to join nicely onto the existing pitched roof but other than that it seems to my admittedly amateur mind that this would be a faster, neater solution than taking the existing flat roof off and exposing half the kitchen and my office to the elements for several weeks as I imagine a blockwork extension would require.

Can anyone see any problems with this approach and or know of a experienced timber frame carpenter/builder in the Cork area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I don't see a problem to this approach:-
    • provided the foundation to the garage is adequate in depth & width.
    The felt will need to be removed, in part at least to for strapping down the new structure, removal of any firring pieces etc.

An extension to the side will require planning permission. I'd advise that you see professional help from an Architectural Technician.

Advertisement