Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HONDA ST PAN EUROPEAN 1100cc Restrictor

• 13-02-2009 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

I've been riding a for a couple years now but between things I've never done my test. My favourite bike is a HONDA ST PAN EUROPEAN 1100cc. I would need to get one restricted, has anyone any ideas if it is too big of a bike to get restricted???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

AFAIK any bike can be restricted but you'll need to check it out with your insurance crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

As Fabio says any bike can be restricted. Most bike shops should be able to do this. Any mechanicly handy person could also fit one, but not too sure how you'd go about certifying a self fitted restrictor kit.

You don't have to contact your insurance company, as if you are on a learners permit or have got an A licence within the last 2 years you are restricted to 25kw, the restriction is not from the date of passing the test it's from the date of licence issue. The only discount you get for 25kw bikes are factory restricted, aftermarket restrictions don't get insurance discount but if not fitted your insurance can be voided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I think what he's looking for is to know if restricting a big and heavy bike like the Pan would kill it. Would there be enough out of the 33ponies to move it along properly. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I think what he's looking for is to know if restricting a big and heavy bike like the Pan would kill it. Would there be enough out of the 33ponies to move it along properly. :)

Doh!

The ST1100 has 100bhp when new, but how much of the 100 would it have after several thousands of miles on the clock, so it'll be 2/3s down on power. This would knock a good bit off top speed and make acceleration slower. But I'd say it'd still beat a car from the lights and unless the OP is actually going to go touring it shouldn't be too much of an issue. It all really depends on the roads the OP is going to be driving. If it's all urban and motorway they should be fine, but back roads won't be much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭aidan13

Thanx for that lads, the next question is who will insure me. I'm currently insured on a BMW F650, its restricted. I'm with Quinn but when I called them today they told me I would need to be over 25 to be on a Pan. I told them about it being restricted and they still said no. Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

AON are the only crowd who will recognise a restriction, and at that it has to be a factory restriction. That means, if your bike is factory restricted, they will reduce their quote.

Everyone else won't take restriction into account, if your 150bhp bike is limited to 33bhp, they still charge you for it being 150bhp. So they won't insure you. :(

Ring AON or Adelaide (N. Ireland) for quotes. Carole Nash probably won't quote you at all.

Advertisement