Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blu ray disc (Saw IV) wont load in Acer laptop!

• 13-02-2009 4:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭

Hopefully this is the correct place to post this, apologies if it is not!

I have an Acer 6920G laptop with an Optiarc 5500A blu ray player. I hook it up to my plasma/projector to watch blu rays but for some reason Saw IV wont load. The disc just keeps spinning so no software will recognise it?

Any ideas?

Many thanks!

Branners

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cheapskate

Hi,

I hate to state the obvious but I presume you've tried another blu ray disc to see if that works!? (or a DVD even )

CS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

is there an option to upgrade the firmware of the BD drive??

i find even on standalone BD players you have to upgrade the firmware every now and then for when certain films wont work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭branners69

I had a problem with Alien V Predator and now this! I looked online to see if there was an issue with them but there was a year between their release dates,and they are from different studios aswell.

The drive is an Optiarc, they were bought out by Sony/NEC and there is an update available for the drive but I am reluctance to use it in case it bricks the drive! What are the odds of it bricking the drive??

By the way I tried both in a PS3 and they played no problems!

Thanks for the replies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

if its a legit firmware upgrade and you follow the instructions then you wont brick the drive.

i had an older blu ray player that i had to upgrade the firmware to play the older james bond films when they were released and then had to uprade it again for The Dark Knight... some big name releases use new versions BD-Java and the player must be upgraded for them to work

Its a legit Sony upgrade but even on the website it says "Also note that our firmware updates are not compatible with those provided by OEM vendors (e.g. HP, Dell, Fujitsu Siemens Computers, Apple etc.). You may damage your drive if you flash it with incompatible firmware."

This is the drive here

Its amazing years ago I would have went for it and chanced it, now with a family and not being able to afford to fix it if I balls it up I would need to read that someone else has done it successfully!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

What software are you using branners69?

>Sol

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cheapskate

Yes I see your problem and reluctance to try it, I would try it based on what you've showed us as I would imagine that Sony are just covering themselves but as you say you don't want to be left with a paper weight

I presume other films are working are they, you could continue watching others until you come across a solution

Sorry, can't help!

CS

akaSol wrote: »
    What software are you using branners69?

>Sol

I use Power DVD 8, there is also Acer Arcade Deluxe on the laptop which I am trying to update at the moment in case it has some inbuilt update for the blu ray player. A long shot I know!
    cheapskate wrote: »

Sorry, can't help!

CS

This is the first film I just cant watch, I had problems with Alien V Predator but I managed to get that working in the end! So it could be worse!

Thanks for the help anyways!!

Advertisement