Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its Friday the 13th lads, watch yer selfs.

• 13-02-2009 5:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭

Well its friday the 13th, so any one had any bad luck today lads?
    Any one crash their car or lose their jobs today?

Well im planing to beat the bad luck for today by going to see friday the 13th remake tonight. Had my tickets booked since Wensday and I dont care what the Ney sayers say about remakes im gona enjoy the film anyway.

Any one else seen it yet on an early showing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

The only scary thing Ive seen today is terrible spelling! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Haven't seen the remake but just watched the original given the night that's in it. Hav eto say that it isn't the greatest film in the world and you have to wonder just why it is so popular. Gonna endure the pain of watching the sequels to see what all the fuss is about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Saw the remake tonight and forgive me but I'm gonna copy and paste my post from the Films forum:

*****Some of the content below might be spoilers, don't think so though!!*****

Just back in from seein this and I was suitably impressed. Apart from when it hit run of the mill terrritory in the last 10 - 15 minutes and we followed the formula unfolding it was a nice fresh spin on the series.

Jason has never been so badass!! The guy was a juggernaut! The kills were very creative and kudos to Marcus Nispel for adding a bit of atmosphere with the lovely opening 20 minute prologue, it was awesome!

I'm not a huge fan of the Friday series, I always saw the original as a terrible Halloween cash-in but I will merit it with opening the door for blood filled commercial horror films in the States and in turn, some of the great nasties we've seen in the last 30 years. Therefore, the notion of a remake never really bugged me. However I've seen most of the series and at least enjoyed it if not obsessed so I imagine this will be lapped up by Jason fans.

Loved the whole tongue in cheek feel aswell, wise choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Haven't seen the remake but just watched the original given the night that's in it. Hav eto say that it isn't the greatest film in the world and you have to wonder just why it is so popular. Gonna endure the pain of watching the sequels to see what all the fuss is about.

My thoughts on why its so popular are because its pretty much the first very violent slasher that did well.I know Halloween or Black Christmas for example are 2 of the first SLASHERS but neither are that violent at all.Halloween is vastly superior in every way (to FT13th) but for sheer blood letting FT13th kicked ass and opened the floodgates for ever increasing on screen brutality and spawned the likes of The Burning,The Prowler,Maniac and the New York Ripper to name but a few.That time period - mid to late 70s to mid 80s - is horror cinemas golden age IMHO.Thats my 2 cents worth on its popularity.
    Havnt seen the remake but yuck.

Just on the sequels,part 3 is my personal fave.Twas originally released in 3D but its actually as good as the original,maybe even marginally better because there were some nice tense scenes in it and a couple of scares too.The rest of the sequels are a bit cheesey but still worth a viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

i have had rotten luck the last few weeks and today friday 13(i know its the 14 now but..) i won a heap of €€€ in a game of poker tonight and i could of really done with the money...happy days.its only a number.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Oh I agree that it's a hugely influential film but it's mainly a set piece to show off the brilliant effects work of Tom Savini. It's not a very good film at all but it still remians hugely popular to this day. It's still an entertaining watch with Kevin Bacon's death scene being the standout scene for me.

Going to see the remake today which is hopefully a good watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Oh I agree that it's a hugely influential film but it's mainly a set piece to show off the brilliant effects work of Tom Savini. It's not a very good film at all but it still remians hugely popular to this day. It's still an entertaining watch with Kevin Bacon's death scene being the standout scene for me.

Going to see the remake today which is hopefully a good watch.

In fairness, at first the gore attracted viewers, and Part 2 embellished on it but if Jason hadn't put on that hockey mask in Part 3 I doubt the series would've had more legs. Though the original is still to this day regarded as a landmark film in relation to opening the floodgates for effects, gore fests and most eighties horror etc. it is of course the iconic character of Jason that gives it it's true status.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Yes well I liked the film, a good remake. not as good as the Halloween remake but good still.

The opening prologue was a nice touch too.

Oh and on that night Fri 13th, I had a windown broken in my house after I had made my first post.

Advertisement