Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PunchyKicky

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Maybe it's not the same thing mind you.

Sounds like it's exactly the same thing, it's a lot better today but still hurts like a mo' fo! Feels a lot like a shin splint actually. Moving my foot is a killer.
    I was actually hoping to do the Cindy workout as well tomorrow, I got as far as 7 last week before I was bolloxed!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭punchypunchy

Dom-de-dom-dom-DOOOOOMMMMMMs.

Those 150 squats did me no good. Was fairly sore the next day, then went playing indoor footie at lunchtime and felt my left thigh muscle tear. :( This has been poking at me for some time now. Actually reared its head just before the fight on Saturday. I've done nothing since, but will do yesterdays crossfit this evening (50% of it anyway). The DOMs were a real sign that my fitness isn't what I thought it was. Guess that's why I (at least partly) lost on Saturday.

In other news: No fight in 2 weeks. :( Enjoying overeating slightly. Will stop that tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Dom-de-dom-dom-DOOOOOMMMMMMs.

Those 150 squats did me no good. Was fairly sore the next day, then went playing indoor footie at lunchtime and felt my left thigh muscle tear. :( This has been poking at me for some time now. Actually reared its head just before the fight on Saturday. I've done nothing since, but will do yesterdays crossfit this evening (50% of it anyway). The DOMs were a real sign that my fitness isn't what I thought it was. Guess that's why I (at least partly) lost on Saturday.

In other news: No fight in 2 weeks. :( Enjoying overeating slightly. Will stop that tomorrow.

Hey buddy, likin the log. What kinda diet do you have comin up to a fight and how does this differ to what it is now? Would be very interested to know given you have to make weight. I'm takin a log carb approach over the next few weeks - somethin like wholegrain cereal for breakfast, meat and veg for lunch, piece of fruit in afternoon, fish/meat/eggs/veg/fruit in evening. Find it hard to eat lower carb - reckon I need to come up with some low carb meal ideas....

The big difference between now and the run up to a fight: BISCUITS! :D

Ah no, seriously, when I'm trying to lose weight I'll only eat complex carbs (except PWO) but otherwise I will indulge my sweet tooth a bit. This morning I had a disaster of a breakfast: 4 x home made flapjacks and coffee. :D On the up side, the flapjacks had lots of healthy gear in them.

I'm not a big fan of low carb diets myself. I think they affect training fairly negatively - I find I've no energy to hit pads if I don't eat carbs.

Right now I am allowing myself some simple carbs as I've no confirmed fight date. I'll probably drop that down a lot come Monday. I still (always) have some kind of biscuit with my coffee. That's my one vice that I'm not willing to cut out, ever. I do bake more healthy biscuits if I'm trying to lose weight though.

In general: Something oat based for breakfast. Most mornings it's oat pancakes (oats, whey, cottage cheese, egg, water, blended) or scrambled egg on toast. Snacks consist of Fruit / cottage cheese on ryvita / tuna on ryvita / protein flapjacks / that kind of thing. I'd snack a lot during the day. Salad for lunch. Lean meat and plenty of veg for dinner. If the family are having a pasta based meal I'll just reduce down (sometimes to zero) the amount of pasta I'll have with it. Same for spuds.

Have you much weight to lose? How are you finding the low carb diet yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

Ouch on the muscle tear.

I'm not a big fan of low carb diets myself. I think they affect training fairly negatively - I find I've no energy to hit pads if I don't eat carbs.

Do you have something shortly before training for this or do you think earlier in the day is fine?
    In general: Something oat based for breakfast. Most mornings it's oat pancakes (oats, whey, cottage cheese, egg, water, blended) ...

I'm an omlette or smoothie man myself these days but getting tired of it - any chance of measures for your pancakes?

• Advertisement

The big difference between now and the run up to a fight: BISCUITS! :D

Ah no, seriously, when I'm trying to lose weight I'll only eat complex carbs (except PWO) but otherwise I will indulge my sweet tooth a bit. This morning I had a disaster of a breakfast: 4 x home made flapjacks and coffee. :D On the up side, the flapjacks had lots of healthy gear in them.

Right now I am allowing myself some simple carbs as I've no confirmed fight date. I'll probably drop that down a lot come Monday. I still (always) have some kind of biscuit with my coffee. That's my one vice that I'm not willing to cut out, ever. I do bake more healthy biscuits if I'm trying to lose weight though.

In general: Something oat based for breakfast. Most mornings it's oat pancakes (oats, whey, cottage cheese, egg, water, blended) or scrambled egg on toast. Snacks consist of Fruit / cottage cheese on ryvita / tuna on ryvita / protein flapjacks / that kind of thing. I'd snack a lot during the day. Salad for lunch. Lean meat and plenty of veg for dinner. If the family are having a pasta based meal I'll just reduce down (sometimes to zero) the amount of pasta I'll have with it. Same for spuds.

Have you much weight to lose? How are you finding the low carb diet yourself?

Biscuits? Biscuits??! Heheh!

Nah not much to lose at all. Am between the flat belly working towards that six pack stage! Will take a little while but getting strict with diet lately - very little booze, keeping sugar levels down, upping the cardio. I'm not going very low carb at all but have been cutting down on bread, will be substituting my morning Weetabix with eggs 2-3 times a week and eating only nuts and fruit for snacks, replacing carbs post-workout with mainly protein + veg etc.... the tried and trusted route really! Seeing progress over the past week or two - leaning out in the lower abs a bit more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Hard luck in the fight Fred told me it was tough. Couldn't make it in myself I'm up to my neck.

hooplah wrote: »
    Do you have something shortly before training for this or do you think earlier in the day is fine?

On days that I'm going training from work I'll usually have a large bowl of museli for "dinner" about 2.5-3 hours before training. Any closer and I find myself a bit sluggish.

100g museli, 20g unflavoured whey, 150-200ml skimmed milk.

Then if I'm not trying to lose weight I'll have a carb-y drink just before and during training (not as carb-y as lucozade sport, but some carbs).
    hooplah wrote: »
    I'm an omlette or smoothie man myself these days but getting tired of it - any chance of measures for your pancakes?

Sure. 100g oats, 50g whey, 50-100g cottage cheese (this adds moistness to them but isn't a requirement) and 1 egg (also not a requirement but does add a nice richness). Leave the oats, whey and cottage cheese soaking in water overnight. Not too much water. Add the egg in the morning. Blend. Make american style pancakes (small and thick). Sometimes I add some vanilla to them. Sometimes smushed raspberries (these are bleedin' savage, but raspberries are expensive).
    Roper wrote: »
    Hard luck in the fight Fred told me it was tough. Couldn't make it in myself I'm up to my neck.

Cheers. Yeah it was a tough one alright. I learned to pace myself a bit better. First time I've ever been /really/ f*cked tired in a fight.

Cheers. Yeah it was a tough one alright. I learned to pace myself a bit better. First time I've ever been /really/ f*cked tired in a fight.
    Opinions on how Crossfit helped/hindered for Muay Thai? It's fairly radical for MT guys no? We'll be training a few thaiboxers fairly soon for fights using our S&C methods so it might be interesting to compare notes.

My feeling (and it's just a feeling, but it is with hindsight): I didn't use enough crossfit in the run up to the last fight. I honestly think that any time my fitness has peaked it's been while I'm doing crossfit and so I intend sticking to it going forward. I have a mate who's happy to do it with me 4 days a week (I have to fit crossfit in around life, not the other way around) and I'm happy with that. I think it provides a training structure that I'm not competent enough to define by myself.

As for being radical....Hadn't really thought of it like that. Probably is a bit alright. It's definitely not traditional, but I think the Thai way isn't always the right way. Their diet is feckin' terrible for example (IMO). Still though, I was in rajadamnern stadium in Bangkok there a while back and was absolutely awestruck by the bodyfat levels of the competitors there.

• Advertisement

I understand what you mean about life getting in the way. I'm not sure how to put this without being banned again, but basically I think Crossfit has it backwards as regrards strength for sports. I like the whole Crossfit concept I have to say. I think the idea of getting people off machines and holding a barbell, swinging out of rings and doing gymnastic movements is great. I just don't think that it's optimum.

I'd agree. I don't think it's optimum.....but it has introduced me to exercises that I never would have considered before and I know I'm exercising my entire body (whereas the kind of workouts I'd dream up almost certainly wont, or will overdo a certain area, or whatever). Also, it varies, and for someone like me that's important. The only thing I've ever done over and over and over and not gotten bored with so far in life is Muay Thai. :)

In what way would you say they have it backwards though?

Gotta run but I'll answer later or tomorrow.

Right the above must have looked a bit strange but in my defence I had a reply typed out and I lost it.

Basically, the Crossfit model for me doesn't improve strength or power in an optimum manner, and everything I know about strength training says strength first, strength repeatability later. In fact I think I should have said most combat sports have it backwards, I don't mean to pick on Crossfit at all which I think is excellent and I would recommend Colm et al to anyone looking to get fit.

Without being too technical, (as if I could) most people want to start with this aerobic base and work from there- afterwards come strength increases, power increases etc. etc. It should be the other way around. You take a strong unit, and train it so it can repeat that strength over time. That's not to say that you neglect conditioning, just that the best base to work from is max strength. I don't think people combat sports do that adequately, if at all. We have a boxer training with us right now and he can't believe how strength work is changing him. Most people just have to break away from what they're used to.

I've said this before but my epiphany so to speak was a few years back when I looked at a sprinter, I think it was Tyson Gaye, and thought "Jesus imagine fighting him?" For a more bantam (you're bantam right?) example, imagine having Peter Stringer's stats in the gym and being able to carry that to an opponent.

Oops, just read back on this and I made a temporal mess of your log. Basically, I said I'd comment later and then I hit edit instead of reply!!!!

I've said this before but my epiphany so to speak was a few years back when I looked at a sprinter, I think it was Tyson Gaye, and thought "Jesus imagine fighting him?" For a more bantam (you're bantam right?) example, imagine having Peter Stringer's stats in the gym and being able to carry that to an opponent.

Sounds delightful. :) What you're saying sounds very logical but fighting fitness (i.e. the "gas tank") is not something I can neglect for anything more than a few days without seeing it wither away (I'm not saying you'd advocate that, but as I said, part of the reason I use crossfit is that I'm not skilled enough to come up with my own program). In the gas tank department crossfit works pretty well for me (though I agree that it's probably not optimal) because its focus is primarily anaerobic.

I fight at 60KG, so around lightweight.

I'm hoping to fight again in 6 weeks. My current plan is this:

Monday: Crossfit
    Tuesday: Muay Thai pads at lunch, full Muay Thai session in the evening
    Wednesday: Crossfit + some pads at lunch
    Thursday: Crossfit at lunch, Muay Thai in the evening
    Friday: Rest day
    Saturday: Muay Thai
    Sunday: Crossfit (probably)

Repeat x 4, probably increase Muay Thai (at the expense of crossfit, or along side it depending on how I feel) in the last two weeks before fight.

I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Sounds delightful. :) What you're saying sounds very logical but fighting fitness (i.e. the "gas tank") is not something I can neglect for anything more than a few days without seeing it wither away (I'm not saying you'd advocate that, but as I said, part of the reason I use crossfit is that I'm not skilled enough to come up with my own program). In the gas tank department crossfit works pretty well for me (though I agree that it's probably not optimal) because its focus is primarily anaerobic.
    Okay I think I understand what you're getting at. You reckon if you drop the Crossfit in favour of strength work you'll lose the capacity to do Muay Thai somewhat? That's a pretty common fear for people but it's not really justified.

In plain English, strength should be your platform. Let me try to put it this way, although invariably something gets lost in translation to plain English :). Let's say I can kick at level 10 right now. (Now there's obviously lots of room for technical improvement on anyone's kick but let's just assume that's being done in MT and we're only talking about your fitness sessions.) What you're basically looking for out of your strength training is having the strength and power to kick at level 20 on my makey uppy power scale. I think most training just trains you to do level 10 over and over and over for a long time. That's fine and dandy I suppose... if you like being weak... :)

I would much prefer to have a massive strength and power base of makey uppy level 20, and decline from there, rather than be mono paced and mono powered. Everyone tires in the ring, but I'd sooner be the guy who got tired from a massive strength base and did all my damage and really got my opponent fvcked in the first couple of rounds than be the guy who can just keep going at the same pace- he'll still tire and he's declining from a poor level. Take the common aerobic/anaerobic model and do it in mirror writing. Make yourself strong and then gain the ability to repeat that strength over and over.

I was going to use a crappy analogy but I decided to try to explain that way. The analogy I had was that I would sooner be a Ferrari with a 20 litre tank than a Trabant with a 100litre tank. The misconception is that you can't be both but that's not true either.

Sorry, haven't had any time to reply. Thanks for your reply.
    Okay I think I understand what you're getting at. You reckon if you drop the Crossfit in favour of strength work you'll lose the capacity to do Muay Thai somewhat? That's a pretty common fear for people but it's not really justified.

Well....I think crossfit gives a good balance between increasing anaerobic capacity (gas tank) and strength. This week (for example) I've done deadlifts and rowing, and bench pressing and other stuff.
    In plain English, strength should be your platform. Let me try to put it this way, although invariably something gets lost in translation to plain English :). Let's say I can kick at level 10 right now. (Now there's obviously lots of room for technical improvement on anyone's kick but let's just assume that's being done in MT and we're only talking about your fitness sessions.) What you're basically looking for out of your strength training is having the strength and power to kick at level 20 on my makey uppy power scale. I think most training just trains you to do level 10 over and over and over for a long time. That's fine and dandy I suppose... if you like being weak... :)

Ok, I understand what you're saying. :)
    I would much prefer to have a massive strength and power base of makey uppy level 20, and decline from there, rather than be mono paced and mono powered. Everyone tires in the ring, but I'd sooner be the guy who got tired from a massive strength base and did all my damage and really got my opponent fvcked in the first couple of rounds than be the guy who can just keep going at the same pace- he'll still tire and he's declining from a poor level. Take the common aerobic/anaerobic model and do it in mirror writing. Make yourself strong and then gain the ability to repeat that strength over and over.

Ok....I see what you're saying, and I agree to an extent. I believe that strength training will allow me, or anyone, to kick harder than someone who only kicks a bag and I think we both believe that. I still think that kicking the bag over and over and over and over is an important part of building capacity and I wouldn't be prepared (at least not right now) to ditch that kind of training to focus on strength training exclusively for a time. My goal is to build both at the same time and while that *may* end up being slower, I think it is less risky because I'm guaranteed to have the gas tank.

If I knew I wasn't going to fight for 4 months (for example) then I'd seriously consider focusing on strength for the first while alright. As it stands I'm likely to be fighting in 6 weeks ish.

Sorry, haven't had any time to reply. Thanks for your reply.
    No problem. It's good to see another fighter's journal.
    Well....I think crossfit gives a good balance between increasing anaerobic capacity (gas tank) and strength. This week (for example) I've done deadlifts and rowing, and bench pressing and other stuff.
    It's just not possible to increase your anaerobic capacity and strength in the same session. There will be some minimal crossover between the two but they need to be seperate. It's really about optimisation of the time you have.
    Ok, I understand what you're saying. :)
    So not a terrible analogy then?
    Ok....I see what you're saying, and I agree to an extent. I believe that strength training will allow me, or anyone, to kick harder than someone who only kicks a bag and I think we both believe that. I still think that kicking the bag over and over and over and over is an important part of building capacity and I wouldn't be prepared (at least not right now) to ditch that kind of training to focus on strength training exclusively for a time. My goal is to build both at the same time and while that *may* end up being slower, I think it is less risky because I'm guaranteed to have the gas tank.
    You can't build both at the same time. You can only fix one thing at a time. By the way, repetition of technique is really important I'm not arguing that point, but that's about efficiency of movement and technical honing, not strength gains (although there is some minimal crossover there too). I'm talking about your non-Thai time spent running/lifting/swinging etc.
    If I knew I wasn't going to fight for 4 months (for example) then I'd seriously consider focusing on strength for the first while alright. As it stands I'm likely to be fighting in 6 weeks ish.
    That's another misconception; that you'd have to lose some capacity to gain strength. It's just not true and a 6 week out period would be an ideal "pre-season".

I think the problem is that fighters think they're different from athletics or GAA or rugby, but the reality is that fundamentally, athletes are athletes and although there are some different conditioning requirements, mostly, people are too weak and need to get stronger. I've used this analogy before but take a tough game of rugby and watch a centre over a 20 minute period. He gets through one hell of a lot of work between sprinting, rucking, getting hit, hitting, twisting, turning. I'd say easily as much as a fighter in the same time period. There's a better way.

Sorry Roper. Didn't mean to be rude. Life interrupted and I haven't given this journal much thought over the last few weeks. Since you're busy yourself I doubt you'll get to read this. :)

Anyway, decided today that I should get my finger out. I'll be making some changes to what I log too. I was hoping to have a fight in early July, but that's looking increasingly unlikely - to the point that I will probably kick back a bit if I haven't heard anything by this weekend. By "kick back" I mean spend more evenings with my family instead of at the gym hitting pads. I'll still keep exercising.

Sunday:
    Running. Around 5K ish.

Monday:
    3 sets of:
    20 pull ups (no pull up bar, so used the pull down machine)
    30 push ups
    40 sit ups
    50 squats

Tuesday:
    2 classes of Muay Thai (lunch and evening)

Wednesday:

Got 9 hours kip. Felt legend.

Crossfit:
    1-1-1-1-1-1-1 thrusters
    I did (all KG):
    57.5 (fail)

Thursday:
    Legs are sore enough today. Feel tired generally. Got 7.5 hours (broken by the little one) sleep last night.

Lunchtime: Footie
    Evening: Muay Thai

So I said I'd make some changes. I'll be adding this going forward:

Calories worth of crap I ate yesterday: ~200
    Yesterdays diet (marks out of 10): 7
    Sleep last night: 8 hours, 1 interruption (pee)
    How I feel today (marks out of 10): 7

Crap is anything that contains an "ose" (glucose, dextrose, sucrose, whatever) or some other crappy carb (wheat flour, rice) as a primary ingredient. Yesterdays crap was half a chocolate flapjack with my coffee in the afternoon. Not bad. A perfect days diet = lots and lots of veg, lean meat, lots of protein (>100g on days that I'm training), healthy fats, all slow release carbs, maintenance calories (or less).

Training was good last night. My kicks have been a bit crap of late for some reason and I settled into doing some nice fast powerful ones last night. Also, I was banjaxed walking down to the gym and full of beans leaving it (I love that).

Chances of a fight were greatly improved last night. The boss man said he thought he might have something for me that he'll find out in the next few days.

Today: Rest day.

• Advertisement

Well....I'd kinda gotten lazy but I'm giving this another bash because it's been useful to have this for looking back over a few things (weight ranges etc. in particular).

Weight was 66.1 on waking today. Part of this is because I'm experimenting with creatine, but mostly it's because I'm "fat". I've definitely put on some muscle mass since I posted on here last, but also a bit of fat. I've mostly been eating clean, just too much. Next fight is around 8 weeks from now, so I'm not worried at all. I'm also gonna be taking it handy enough for the next 2 - 3 weeks because I'm relatively fit at the moment and I want to peak on fight day (or as close as possible).

Just noticed this bit from the last post and I like it so:

Calories worth of crap I ate yesterday: ~220
    Yesterdays diet: 8
    Sleep last night: 9 hours, 2 interruptions
    How I feel today: 7
    Weight this morning: 66.1

Today:
    Crossfit.
    5 rounds for time of:
    400 meter run
    95 pound Overhead squat, 15 reps

My legs are bollixed from a very tough cycle yesterday, so I'll definitely be lowering that weight. Also, I'm very bad at overhead squats, so I may be lowering that weight substantially since 75 bodyweight squats wouldn't be the worst in the world. I'll edit this and post the time when I get back in about an hour or so.

edit: 19m 55s used 20KG overhead weight. Had to dump it once because of bad form other than that went quite well. Took longer than it felt tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

i give up, i still cant figure out who you are :P

Muaahahahahaha. And you never will. Muuuuaahahahahaha.

Calories worth of crap I ate yesterday: ~80
    Yesterdays diet: 8
    Sleep last night: 8.5 hours, 2 interruptions
    How I feel today: 8
    Weight this morning: 65.8

Legs are sore enough today. I knew 2 days in a row wasn't ideal, but I needed to get back on the crossfit bandwagon.

Just doing the one MT session today (done). Still a bit tired in general. Sleep's getting interrupted quite a bit at the moment. The "how I feel today" for yesterday should really have been a 5. After a brief pick up post exercise I felt like utter ****e in the evening. Just totally wasted. Feeling good today though.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

edited for being an idiot

Did you happen to see that programme on RTE last night on the guy who went to Thailand to do Muay Thai, not knowing much/anything about it beforehand? A very interesting watch http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1052845

How does it actually compare with regular boxing? I'm thinking of those massive kicks they throw to the side of the abdomen, don't know how you withstand those!?

I had been waiting for ages to watch that, grew impatient (not knowing RTE were about to show it) and bought the DVD a few weeks back. :) Doh! Thanks for the link though. Appreciate it.

Interesting documentary. I thought it took balls for him to do what he did. I've been to Thailand twice now and have a real soft spot for the place / people (tried to get my wife to move there for a year!) so for me it was largely a nostalgic view. :) The fights weren't great. The first one in particular....his opponent looked pretty unfit and the main guy would have passed out if it had gone past the 2nd round.
    celestial wrote: »
    How does it actually compare with regular boxing? I'm thinking of those massive kicks they throw to the side of the abdomen, don't know how you withstand those!?

I've never done regular boxing, though I've watched my share of it. I think Thai is a bit more of a war of attrition. Also, there are a LOT of ways to get knocked out so you never get a run of 30 unbeaten fights like in pro boxing. The very best you can hope for as a pro Thai fighter is around an 80% win record. Someone's going to land an elbow that stops you, or a knee to the head, or a kick that you didn't see coming, or a leg shot that buckles you, or whatever.

As for taking the kicks in the side....I will never forget the first well placed liver shot I took. Instantly dropped me to the floor. Very strange pain that. As you build up your amateur experience and move towards pro fighting you start conditioning work though. One thing I do (for example) is get my youngfella and / or wife to put on my 10oz gloves and just hammer on my upper body. He loves it. :D

Calories worth of crap I ate yesterday: ~500
    Yesterdays diet: 4
    Sleep last night: 8 hours
    How I feel today: 7
    Weight this morning: 67.0

Weight has gone on fairly quickly (I'm guessing) from starting on the creatine full time. Waking up close to 67 fairly consistently for the last few days. Been eating a bit of rubbish over the bank holiday but not enough to pile on weight. Went running Friday, Trained saturday, did feck all Sunday (about 30 chin ups spread over the day) and went running today. I've picked a course which I'm gonna start timing. I need / want to do a bit of running to start shifting the fat and it'll be nice to see changes in my run times.

Reminder for myself for tomorrow:

Calories worth of crap I ate Today: ~500
    Todays diet: 6

Advertisement