Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

marketing text - no opt out details

Options
  • 13-02-2009 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭

just received a text from +35385311712. its not a premium rate number so the regtel website and process is not applicable here.

to paraphrase the text -

"discount available from **** retailer this valentines weekend"

there is no info on how to opt out etc.
    does anyone know what i should do to get opted out?
    do i just write a letter to the shop or call the number...

i don't think i have ever bought anything in the shop and am usually very careful with my contact details so am also a little bit annoyed that i have been contacted in this manner and if it has been done illegally i would like to make a complaint.
    if i gave my phone number to someone without reading what they were going to do with it then i just want get my number removed from their database.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

text back "Stop" to the message.that worked for me.alternatively contact the retailer in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

The "stop" thing is only a requirement for premium rate subscription services which fall under the remit of regtel.

That said, if you reply with STOP it's fairly obvious you want out of their marketing list.
    It's quite possible that nobody reads the texts that come back or that the number is shared between companies so it might not work.

Your best bet is to contact the shop in question. Under data protection legislation (as far as I know, not a lawyer, etc) they have to remove you from their list

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

dataprivacy.ie , let the data protection people sort them out

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭deepriver

it sounds like the retailer send out the texts manually in which case reply 'stop' wont automatically opt you out, unless as the other poster says the sender reads it and unsubscribes you

if its an unsolicited text you could report it to regtel.ie but they are entirely useless and will do nothing

I would call the retailer directly, but I fear you would struggle to find the person who actually manages the database

Advertisement