Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

<snip> Solicitors - Cash only? Rip Off Merchants!

Options
  • 13-02-2009 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hello,
    i am currently in a battle with <snip> over payment. i saw on another site which allows people to rate thier solicitors that i am not the first person they have 'stalled' or prolonged their cases for, it would seem, more cash on "brown envelope day".

I am wondering if anyone else has had the same issue as i am filing an official complaint with the disciplinary tribunal.
    • Fisrtly he insisted that i payed with cash only.
    • He then promised to call myself + witnesses into his office to prepare us for the case which never happened - instead we huddled for 5 minutes outside the court room on the day of the trial.
    • He would not enter a 'not guilty' plea for me on the 1st day so we could go straight to trial, even though i insisted that he did.
    • He was never on time for court, one day he was over an hour late.
    • his mobile phone went off in court... (did not impress the judge one bit)
    He is looking for a further €500 which i refuse to pay, he has already taken €500, plus he has a cheque for €250 which he wont give back. he has sent me a civil summons and i am going to fight, for need further payment in the civil case because the way i have been treated.

Also, how do you get a refund from these creeps?

It seems there are alot of solicitors out there who are scam artists...

if anyone else has had any dealings like this with <snip> can you please reply?

thanks
    Stephen
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

IBFTL :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Old lawyers never die - they just lose their appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I feel that I cannot allow you to name the solicitor in question as it may be harmful to boards. I am happy for posters to offer you advice on how to proceed.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭quinnie123ie

oh, sorry, i am a newby... i apologise ... thanks for keeping the comment though ... :)

No problems - I presume that you've contacted the Law Society about making a complaint?

• Advertisement

aparently there is no official route to follow when complaining.. all in bed together probably.. i got the numer for the dicaplinary tribunal, they sent me a pack today to lodge a complaint, and the solictor has one month to reply... if they see it as an issue they will launch a public enquiry...

my health has not been the best and that is why i did not appeal the original case, but i am dammed if i am paying another penny out :) i will represent myself and with a bit of luck i will win the civil case.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

OP- make your you have posted tour comments on www.rateyoursolicitor.com as loads of people are using this website before they engage a solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

rco2000 wrote: »
    OP- make your you have posted tour comments on www.rateyoursolicitor.com as loads of people are using this website before they engage a solicitor.

And it can't be trusted. A solicitor I used was rated as "Avoid" on the site. In reality the service could not have been better. Anonymous rating sites really can't be trusted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

penexpers wrote: »
    And it can't be trusted. A solicitor I used was rated as "Avoid" on the site. In reality the service could not have been better. Anonymous rating sites really can't be trusted.

I disagree. I know of many peoples experiences with different solicitors, and I was amazed at how accurate those ratings were.

penexpers wrote: »

If "avoid" solicitors did their job properly & charged a fair price for services then there would be no need for any such website. Furthermore, if you look at the "avoid" solicitors, you will notice that there are more than one negative comment/feedback left by their ex-customer/client. Two or more clients can't be wrong.

• Advertisement

jimmmy wrote: »
    I disagree. I know of many peoples experiences with different solicitors, and I was amazed at how accurate those ratings were.

bump

rco2000 What was the point of that bump?

As for the website, I wouldn't place much trust in the ratings of any group of Joe public on the internet. Those websites tend to be a magnet for the disgruntled rather than the satisified. As a result you may not get an accurate opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Rate your solicitors was correct about Michael Lynn _BEFORE_ we all knew about him . Look up the 2006 and 2007 comments on Lynn .

Lots of comments in the past 6 months are from disgruntled ex solicitors by the way, there are about 100 of them on the dole in Galway nowadays .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

If "avoid" solicitors did their job properly & charged a fair price for services then there would be no need for any such website. Furthermore, if you look at the "avoid" solicitors, you will notice that there are more than one negative comment/feedback left by their ex-customer/client. Two or more clients can't be wrong.

The anonymity of these websites means it can be the same (dsigruntled) client posting negative comments again and again. The same could also be true of positive comments.

I am obviously not the only peson he stung... note: i wrote the 1st comment.

<snip>

dudara wrote: »

As for the website, I wouldn't place much trust in the ratings of any group of Joe public on the internet. Those websites tend to be a magnet for the disgruntled rather than the satisified. As a result you may not get an accurate opinion.

ignore the bump comment.
    agree with previous post.

dudara wrote: »

dudara, is it ok for the satisfied clients to monoplize that website & leave all positive feedback/comments for many solicitors eventhough the same solicitor may have dealt with some other clients poorly?
    It's all about balance and freedom of speach.
    I'm sure people can make up ther own mind when they see both the number & detail of comments/opinions made about a particular solicitor. That's the beauty of that website - there are many solicitors on that website with 100% positive feedback/comments made about their services.
    I know the next time I need a solicitor I will vet him/her before I use their services, especially after Michael Lynn & the famous McDarby in Ballinrobe.

It's all about balance and freedom of speach.

That's exactly my point, I'm just coming at it from a different angle to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

hi i am new. was just reading about the rip off thing and i have a similar story but it involves huge amounts of money that i am owed from different companies and my solicitor was good enough to take €11500.00 from me to go ahead with the cases, got to the steps of the court room and demanded another 10k or else he would leave me up **** creek ,i wasnt stupid enough to hand it over so i went to another solicitor €500 deposit and they are fighting about 20 cases for me , i am not a developer and i am not a millionaire but the work i carried out and never got paid for totals into an 8 figure sum , i nearly lost everything because of a crooked solicitor, anyone else had similar expierences:cool:

sorry to hear that M8 - there is a complaints tribunal you can go to to complain about over charging... let me know if you want their details.. you should be able to get it from http://www.citizensinformation.ie - call the locall number on the site and ask them how to fast track a complaint about the blood sucker involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

freedom of speach
    To protect boards.ie from evil lawyers, FoS doesn't exist on boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Advertisement