Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LOGO DESIGN SOFTWARE (FREE)

Options
  • 13-02-2009 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Hey guys,

Not too sure if this is the right thread to be posting this in.

Can anyone reccommmend some logo design software that i could download for free, which has all i need to start designing my own logs as a hobby?

Also is there any really popular logo design software which can be bought?

Thanks
    Bluemoo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Adobe Illustrator

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jabroni Pkp

you should try GIMP which is a free software with great in built capabilities. Its free to download at gimp.org and i've used it many times to create images for logos amongst other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Like GIMP, Inkscape is free.
    Inkscape does vector drawing, like Adobe Illustrator.
    GIMP does bitmap drawing, like Adobe Photoshop.

I think that vector drawing is good for logos because you can resize them easily (e.g. bigger for an outdoor sign or small for the web) without losing quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Sammag

bluemoo wrote: »
    Can anyone reccommmend some logo design software that i could download for free, which has all i need to start designing my own logs as a hobby?
    o

No offense but as a Graphic Designer with many years of strong experience, these sort of questions make me so depressed... It's akin to asking how one can buy an arty software program to become a fine artist.... *sigh*

On a side note - most Graphic Designers use Adobe illustrator as the tool to help produce a vector logo after coming up with the initial concept in their head/on paper. No computer program will 'show' you how to produce a good logo/brandmark, only raw talent and clever conceptual thinking will do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Sammag

Apologies Double post!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I usually just doodle logos with a pen and a piece of paper long before I go near a computer. Nothing wrong with doing that same process on the computer. Personally I think designing takes a lot longer on the computer. Unless its a very technical design. Even still I'd still do a lot of it on paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Most of the logo design packages are standard generic style logos and to be honest they're probably the same as thousands of others out there.

Designing a logo is not quite as simple as pick icon pick text and hey presto you're done.

I've done various logos professionally and a lot more logos for fun and I tend to play around in photoshop getting ideas together and then take it over to illustrator.

Gimp the open source alternative to photoshop does the job but I don't really like it maybe its cus I've been using photoshop so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I tried Gimp a few times and still prefer my ancient version of Photoshop. I know theres a addon for gimp that make it more like photoshop, but I just never bothered with it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

BostonB wrote: »
    I tried Gimp a few times and still prefer my ancient version of Photoshop. I know theres a addon for gimp that make it more like photoshop, but I just never bothered with it again.

Actually funny you should mention that ... I just came across this

http://laptoplogic.com/resources/configuring-gimp-2.6-to-replace-adobe-photoshop

I've got cs3 so I'm happy out for the moment ... I didn't bother checking the extras available in CS4 properly to miss them hell I've only recently started playing with Vanishing Point in CS3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

To the OP: Inkscape is what you want. The other suggestions like GIMP and Photoshop are sadly, by people who don't know what they're talking about. You really need vector software so you can draw shapes, manipulate letters and play with the form of an object. Illustrator is popular for logo design, but Inkscape is open source and free software that is quite decent too.

Sammag wrote: »
    No offense but as a Graphic Designer with many years of strong experience, these sort of questions make me so depressed... It's akin to asking how one can buy an arty software program to become a fine artist.... *sigh*
    You still need the right tools for the job. Anyone can try their hand at design. It doesn't need to be something special just for us professionals. There's lots of room for hobby designers doing logos for their clubs and stuff. It's the same as Photography. Someone buying a Digital SLR and playing around with nice photos doesn't take away from the professionals.

• Advertisement
Advertisement