Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FREE LOGO DESIGN SOFTWARE

Options
  • 13-02-2009 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Hey guys,

Not too sure if this is the right thread to be posting this in.

Can anyone reccommmend some logo design software that i could download for free, which has all i need to start designing my own logs as a hobby?

Also is there any really popular logo design software which can be bought?

Thanks
    Bluemoo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Hank_Scorpio

The best way to create a logo is using vector software.

Illustrator, Freehand, Corel Draw are all very good and expensive.

There are a few free ones, like inkscape comes to mind.

If you design in vector it is mathematically drawn, meaning it can resized to any size using vectors and it will retain quality. You don't want to use a bitmap editor (like photoshop) because that is raster. When you increase the size the edges become jagged, also know as pixelated.

Which you can read about here: http://www.maa.org/editorial/mathgames/mathgames_08_01_05.html

The best way to start a logo is by drawing it out with pen and paper. You don't need excellent drawing skills, just some ideas what you want in the logo.

Have a look on logopond.com and other logo sites to see what can be done and what makes a logo good.

A good logo artist will also make their logo in full colour, black and white and create guidelines for using the logo, like how far away it should be from other objects, the max and min size and the colours used.

If you want to use specific colours stick with pantone colours, if it's a 2 or 3 colour logo. Any more than that then stick with CMYK for print and RGB for web logos.

Good luck with your hobby.

Advertisement