Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love for Animal Lovers !

Options
  • 13-02-2009 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭

So as it is the time for love how do we animal lovers find lovers that love animals too ?.

As a single ( & open to offers !) chap I have found it rather difficult to find women who like the idea of two largeish dogs in a small house. In fact many seem to think me a little odd - the house must smell being the best comment !. Opposites can attract & we all need to be flexible but if she doesn't like animals it's a non starter.

So do you guys & gals have you any constructive ideas on how one animal lover can meet another ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

There's a few perfectly lovely ladies on the petsireland board who are single and love animals, I daren't say their names they'd kill me but I'm sure they find it difficult to find a guy who likes critters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hey, im a single girl with a very big dog too, but i dont think it matters about the pets, its just nice to find someone who is into your dogs as much as you are.
    I dont think i could be with anyone who wasnt a dog lover coz my dog is a very big part of my life and not every guy can understand that.

So hey discodog, how old are you?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Wow 2 offers in 2 posts !. Well Guineapig I love guineapigs too !. Can I bribe you for the names ?. So should I post a girl wanted ad ?.

I am 45 but feel much younger !. My girls (both with 4 legs) adore me & they have good taste !.

Now I'm off to the petsireland board to do some guessing !.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

I can probably end up loving the animals more than the man. Ah sure, my dog even sleeps in my bed with me.

In your bed or on your bed !. My friend has a photo of her Dobbie in a silver frame next to the bed - there are no photos of her hubby !. The neighbours here would call the Gardai if they thought that I had my girls in my bed !. Mind you the way that one of them is prone to farting, I wouldn't want her under the duvet !.

Typical Galway Girl. They either don't like dogs or they like them so much that a fella doesn't stand a chance !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

My OH was not in anyway an animal lover at all. I got my cats before we moved in together, so he didn't have a say in that, but he wasn't happy and actually commented that I got 2 just to annoy him :eek: but after a few weeks he came around and while he would still give out about them when he'd call over, I'd catch him giving them cheese or tuna off his sambo and things like that.

When he moved in they just became a fixture, part of the house really.

Then I started fostering dogs, he was fine with the pups but the bigger dogs he didn't like (mainly due to one bad experience I had with one of my first large fosters) and he always said that there is no way he wanted to keep a dog.

Harley came along and it was my OH who suggested keeping him. TBH, Harley is more his than mone now. He's a real mans dog, loves to wrestle, loves long walks, bounces around a bit too much with puppy excitement in a bigger body. And my OH adores him, I was suprised at how much he loves him now.

So what I'm trying to say is, he's not an animal lover, but he loves our animals and thats the main thing.

Sounds like Helena adopted her fella, trained him with encouragement, lots of treats & then adopted a dog !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭lorna100

Have to say alot of people react in a negative way when i say i love animals etc. Ive gone out with people who wouldnt have a great interest in animals and they tend to get annoyed that I love them so much - my cat comes before a guy, sorry!

Im almost 18 and find it near impossible to find someone who likes animals, let alone loves them. Love me, love my animals...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

My mother always told me, always judge a man on how they treat their mother and their dog!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Hahaha, the OP made me smile. Try being a woman with 20 odd dogs, a few horses, a donkey and three Guinea Pigs AND your chances for love diminish considerably ;). I have resigned myself to that fact.

• Advertisement

Ok well my if my mother were alive she would say that I treated her well. As for my doggies, snoozing on their electric bed, they might complain that it is supper time !.

Well EGAR I am glad that I made you smile. My chances of love diminished with two adorable hounds so yours have definitely reduced but not disappeared !. You never know.

Ah no, discodog, I am not looking. I suspect I am going to be the weird doglady or maybe I already am ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

ok im a guy with a cat i have huge issues when

a) i tell people i have a cat and

b) i allow her to sleep on the bed

why is this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

Do I smell romance? :D
    Egar, I've seen you picture (not bad, not bad at all ;) and read your story in the paper, I follow your struggle to rescue animals. Don't despair and don't be shy!
    On the other hand, there is no such love as the love of a dog. It's unconditional! And to share it with someone on the same level is bliss.
    I'm a lucky one in this regard. Though it can get a bit crowded in the bedroom ...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

ok im a guy with a cat i have huge issues when

a) i tell people i have a cat and

b) i allow her to sleep on the bed

why is this?

Uh huh. I have two cats who 'insist' on sleeping on the bed! Plus I am officially single as and from today (of all days)... Can't see another female thinking this is normal so I think I'll join the priesthood...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

Uh huh. I have two cats who 'insist' on sleeping on the bed! Plus I am officially single as and from today (of all days)... Can't see another female thinking this is normal so I think I'll join the priesthood...

thats too bad man she's prob not worth the hassle
    ur right bout women they either love or hate cats an i can't find any that love em

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

thats too bad man she's prob not worth the hassle
    ur right bout women they either love or hate cats an i can't find any that love em

Nowt to do with the cats (she's a cat owner herself) but I know any woman in the future is gonna think I'm a weirdo living with 2 cats.

And I was a weirdo even before I saved these two cats!!! Ho Hum...

Nice to know that I am not the only chap who is afflicted !

palaver wrote: »
    Do I smell romance? :D
    Egar, I've seen you picture (not bad, not bad at all ;) and read your story in the paper, I follow your struggle to rescue animals. Don't despair and don't be shy!

Shy? Moi? :D

Reeling them in is not the problem :rolleyes: - the problems start after a few months or so when a night out is planned and I get a call about an injured dog or something like that OR that I cannot go on holidays and that every penny I got goes towards the upkeep of my animals. Romance doesn't usually survive when the daily "uniform" consists of weelies, jeans and a jumper :D.

Palaver, where will I sent the little brown envelope to :D?

I could cope with jeans & jumper but why did you have to add the wellies as well. Now I will have to have a cold shower to calm down !

Wrong idea - get Palaver to send you the envelope !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

When I first started going out with the oh, I was informed that his cat slept on the bed if the cat chose to. I didn't think he was a weirdo (for that!) at all. My only concern when I moved in with him was if my cat would like sleeping beside his cat.:rolleyes:
    9 cats & 4 dogs later, my only concern now is finding a spot for myself.:)

Rofl lololololol :D.

Ye can take the man out of the mountain but ye can't take the mountain out of the man ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

EGAR wrote: »
    Rofl lololololol :D.

Ye can take the man out of the mountain but ye can't take the mountain out of the man ;).

I think the wellies made a little mountain girl. ;)

lightening wrote: »
    I think the wellies made a little mountain girl. ;)

That would be me, the German Culchie :D:pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Great thread, I didn't read it till now, thought it was going to be all valentines day cute things for animal lovers - how wrong I was!

EGAR, I think there are a fair few of us 'weird dog ladies' around the country:D

ISDW wrote: »
    Great thread, I didn't read it till now, thought it was going to be all valentines day cute things for animal lovers - how wrong I was!
    EGAR, I think there are a fair few of us 'weird dog ladies' around the country:D

Thanks. The only problem is that you girlies use other boards & my reputation as a serious animal poster is shot !.

So there is hope for me & other two legged strays - but no neutering !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

That would be me, the German Culchie :D:pac::D

I know, saw you on TV, heard your accent, see some of your comments on here "load of shlte if you ask me" Classic stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Hahaha, the OP made me smile. Try being a woman with 20 odd dogs, a few horses, a donkey and three Guinea Pigs AND your chances for love diminish considerably ;). I have resigned myself to that fact.
    cool i love you. So does me missus. Do ya wanna adopt two humans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭woofie87

seanybiker wrote: »
    cool i love you. So does me missus. Do ya wanna adopt two humans.

+ 2 more and 2 more dogs :D?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Awesome thread!!

EVERYone who knows me knows that i love the animos (that's Bootz for animals :D ) and they have to accept it!! in fact i think my OH is quite happy about it as it makes birthdays/christmas etc easier: 'what can i get her?...oh yeah something with an animo on it!!'

everytime we go on holidays he sits me down to tell me, 'this is not an animo holiday, yes we will visit a zoo/park but we will not spend ALL our time going from one zoo to another'

a boy doesn't have to be animo mad but it would be the ultimate deal breaker if they had no interest in any animos!

Advertisement