Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The SFIV count down thread!

Options
  • 13-02-2009 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

So its one week away! Lets have a thread for all things SFIV in the last few days we have waiting. :D

What system are people getting it for? Has anyone managed to get their hands on the madcatz sticks or pads? What characters are people looking forward to learning 1st? etc etc

Also, there are people around the world already playing the game and so reports are coming in on what the games like. Online seems to run very well from what I've read. But theres no online rooms like there is in HD remix which some are pissed about.

However Capcom have said something about a championship mode and a replay feature coming soon after release in a downloadable update, I dunno more more about those features yet though.

Another thing is those extra costumes you guys may have been seeing? Well you'll have to pay for those. They come in packs of 5, which I think might be released a week at a time. The 1st pack is included in the CE version of the game (the brawler pack) so those who bought the CE will have alts for Zangeif, E. Honda, Rufus, El Furete, and Abel + the other stuff that comes with the CE.

Something else about the game that I find kinda annoying but ultimately doesn't matter: the intro, its got fantastic visuals and could have been one of the best intros I've seen in a long time. But for some reason they added this really gay backstreetboys type song along with it.

But whats worse is, the same ****ing song plays in the background in the menus as well.

Also, that annoying ****ty announcer , who was confirmed to have tweakable settings on the arcade that allowed you to shut him up completely or put him on basic mode where'd he'd just say KO etc...well I've yet to hear if you can do this on the consoles or not.

I really hope you can.

A plus that I'm sure most of you know about however is that while all the characters have english voice actors, the game comes with the japanese voices also, and you can have detailed options on which characters you want to have the japanese voices and which you want in english.

Thank god, cause it'll get old REAL fast hearing ken say "TRY THIS ON FOR SIZE" every god damn time I do a EX spin kick...:mad: lol or fei long crying " I LOOOOOOOOOOOST" when he gets KO'd... hehe

(trust me theres much worse sounding ones than those too)

Anyway, heres a funny vid featuring all the characters in the game to get the ball rolling:

Getting Street Fighter 4? 122 votes

Hell yes, getting it for the 360
    0%
    Hell yes, getting it for the PS3
    62%
    ShiminayMiCr0RasTaGrand_IzerIvanTuskykonekosuper_furrytmanV9RabiesJimmisePlacebowayne040576toxickmcgarniclewesA-TrakGEO147 76 votes
    Yes but I'm holding out for the PC version.
    37%
    TinCoolwhitetrashQ_BallZombrexDont be at yourselfMossy MonkBArraTheFat-oRnein9-Creamy GoodnessHellrazer[Deleted User]CodeMonkeyprojectmayhemSeekerJohnAzzaApeXaviourWellyJHolsten 46 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

still have my PI about what to do. have 2 class hori sticks but want it the minute its out and that means 360 which means buying stick for 360.

if i wait i can play it on pc with 2 superb horis.

DAMN YOU CAPCOM....DAMN YOU!!!!!!!

bastids know i cant wait :(

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I have my Mad Catz stick ordered by probably going be a week after the games release that I get it, so standard PS3 pad for me.

As for the crap music, I'm sure you can turn it off as well as that annoying announcer. If not then I'm sure you will be able to do it on the PC version eventually.

Think we should start gathering a list of players and the format they play it so we can meet up online.

I'll be getting it on the PS3 and my PSN name is Stavanger1

Anyway greatly looking foward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

At the start I think I'll play mostly Ken/Ryu and Cammy. Think I'll try getting to grips with Viper first out of the new characters.
    Azza wrote: »

Think we should start gathering a list of players and the format they play it so we can meet up online.

I'll be getting it on the PS3 and my PSN name is Stavanger1

Anyway greatly looking foward to this.

There's a thread on the xbox forum for peoples gamer tags for SF4.

Jim wrote: »

There's a thread on the xbox forum for peoples gamer tags for SF4.

Stupid console forums ruined the games forum.

Sf forum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Fighting game forum FTW

(points to sig)

I reckon I'll start the game with Ken for old times sake but looking forward to trying out Gen Viper Abel and Gouken. Also looking forward to getting good at fei long, and other peopel from ST as I'm mainly a 3rd striker although I've recently gotten HD remix. I've a decent blanka in HD atm (compared to how good I am at other characters)

• Advertisement

Damn it why does there have to be more than 1 platform. Instead of one large community we get several smaller ones :(

Damn it why does there have to be more than 1 platform. Instead of one large community we get several smaller ones :(

yup sucks balls, always prefer playing with board.ies but this will make it difficult. Wouldnt be too bad if PC version came out same day.

thankfully i stole a box of chocs for the missus from work, if she lets me buy a stick i go 360 then PC.

All versions will get a stick that supports macros, means gayness will prevail and weaker players will win matches by fireball and dragon punch whoring.

thank god for guile and blanka.

It be fantastic to have a boards fighting section so we can at least all chat about this in the one area and threads wont get lost in the game area, or only viewable to those of particular system.

There is still talk btw though of the pc version having cross platform play with the 360. I'd be surprised though if it happened.
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    still have my PI about what to do. have 2 class hori sticks but want it the minute its out and that means 360 which means buying stick for 360.

if i wait i can play it on pc with 2 superb horis.

DAMN YOU CAPCOM....DAMN YOU!!!!!!!

bastids know i cant wait :(

You think thats bad.. I bought a fecking PS3 cause I just can't wait till summer for this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Have ordered the PC version together with a Xbox 360 fightpad. Thinking of getting the game on 360 to tide me over till the PC release, then selling the Xbox version.

I'd like to hear people's recommendations for sites to order from that are most likely to have the game in my hand closest to the release date. In my experience, Play.com are crap for prompt delivery of brand new titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Yep getting it. Street figher 2 was the first game I ever actually owned so its gunna be a good throw back to the old days!

Just wondering though all these people getting special sticks for it is the 360 pad a no go at all? Like will I be struggling to pull of moves etc?

Was playing HD remix demo for just a few minutes and found it hard enough to pull of some of the moves and couldnt get the Hadooken (uppercut thing) at all working. I cant afford spending mad money on an arcade stick and dont really want one to be honest. But at the same time I dont want to be throwing my controller down in fustration just because I couldnt do a specific move!

• Advertisement

Fnz wrote: »
    Have ordered the PC version together with a Xbox 360 fightpad. Thinking of getting the game on 360 to tide me over till the PC release, then selling the Xbox version.

I'd like to hear people's recommendations for sites to order from that are most likely to have the game in my hand closest to the release date. In my experience, Play.com are crap for prompt delivery of brand new titles.

Looks like theres a chance you could even get it a day early :

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055485166

joe123 wrote: »

Just wondering though all these people getting special sticks for it is the 360 pad a no go at all? Like will I be struggling to pull of moves etc?
    I cant afford spending mad money on an arcade stick and dont really want one to be honest. But at the same time I dont want to be throwing my controller down in fustration just because I couldnt do a specific move!

The fightpads would be your best option http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055460283

but they're looking like they'll be hard to find for release. May be a few weeks before we can get 'em again. Luckily for me that I'm on ps3 so its not such and issue, but people on the 360 are really screwed. The 360 pad is just really really bad for street fighter.

I dunno if theres any other pads for the 360. Theres a good chance almost any other 3rd party pad would be better then the 360, the question is, are there any in shops over here?

I know a few people getting this for the 360 who'd want a good pad, but as the fightpad is unavailable atm, would be interested in other 3rd party pads in the mean time so they at least ****ing PLAY the game.

So if anyone knows the score with 3rd party 360 pads in Ireland please post here

Well I'm goning PS3 then PC. Be fantastic if the PC players could play against the Xbox crowd. That way I have access to the full community.

Having said the PC version would probably have to use Games for Windows Live which I'm pretty meh about.

But for the moment looks like I'll be seeking you out Cunny since your only one I know playing on a PS3.

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    Looks like theres a chance you could even get it a day early :

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055485166

Thanks, Gamesnash seem decent, might order from them - though I do like taking advantage of the weak sterling. It's £29/€32.50 from a number of places.

Also, your poll needs a "getting it on console because I can't wait for it to come out on PC but then I'm going to get it on PC, I hope it doesn't use Games For Windows Live" option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Deffo getting this.

Should tide me over till Tekken 6.

Well I'm goning PS3 then PC. Be fantastic if the PC players could play against the Xbox crowd. That way I have access to the full community.

Having said the PC version would probably have to use Games for Windows Live which I'm pretty meh about.

But for the moment looks like I'll be seeking you out Cunny since your only one I know playing on a PS3.

Yes indeed, and I'm the same as you, ps3 1st PC when its out,and meh about windows live.
    Fnz wrote: »
    Also, your poll needs a "getting it on console because I can't wait for it to come out on PC but then I'm going to get it on PC, I hope it doesn't use Games For Windows Live" option.

Hehe yeah well lets just assume thats what all the options mean, as everyone knows it'll be best on pc anyway eh? :D
    Holsten wrote: »
    Deffo getting this.

Should tide me over till Tekken 6.

:eek:

You mean make you realise how meh tekken is and how amazing SF is :p Tekken peaked at Tekken 3 :p

But lets not turn this into a tekken V SF thread. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I'm either gonna wait for the PC release in agony while everyone else plays it. Or buy a console and play it but using a crappy pad. I have a great arcade stick but it's for PS2 and apparently none of those usb adapters work for with consoles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm absolutely dying to play this game but I'm going to Stockholm on the day it is released. Hoping I can get into town early and try and pick up the game. Will need two decent controllers as well and it looks like they will be hard to find. Might have to settle for a pad so I can have money for booze in stockholm. Either way I'm not playing this until I've a decent controller. The PS and 360 pads are both absolutely atrocious for these games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Where is the "No, I have no taste in games" option? Because such people exist. Anyway, 360 for me. Day one, too, naturally.

Im beginning to think im not so sure. Surely the game will be playable with the ordinary controller? Like if some moves are impossible to do with the orginal 360 controller then thats a bit of a joke.

Theres no way in hell im shelling out 40-60 euro for street fighter then havin to buy another stick or controller.

Was looking at the prices 150 dollars for the main stick!!! 70 for the not as good one! that is craaaaazy imo.

How much is that fightpad does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Im beginning to think im not so sure. Surely the game will be playable with the ordinary controller? Like if some moves are impossible to do with the orginal 360 controller then thats a bit of a joke.

Theres no way in hell im shelling out 40-60 euro for street fighter then havin to buy another stick or controller.

Was looking at the prices 150 dollars for the main stick!!! 70 for the not as good one! that is craaaaazy imo.

How much is that fightpad does anyone know?

It's 35 sterling for the fightpad. To be honest you'll need a new controller. The PS3 d-pad is horrendous for street fighter and the 360 d-pad is on another level of horrible. The fightpad will be more than enough for you unless you want to play to tournament standards of SFIV.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's 35 sterling for the fightpad. To be honest you'll need a new controller. The PS3 d-pad is horrendous for street fighter and the 360 d-pad is on another level of horrible. The fightpad will be more than enough for you unless you want to play to tournament standards of SFIV.

I dunno if i can justify shelling out the guts of 100 euro on one game (pad+game) and to still know im at an unfair advantage over people because dont want to spend mad amounts of money for one game alone.

Where can ya get this pad anyways online?

I read in another thread that shops mightent be getting them in anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Feck getting another controller.

The Playstation/Xbox controller is fine, I actually hate.. no.. dispise the arcade style controllers.

Retro's not a fan of the playsation d-pads. Some people find the segmented design hard to use. But the playstation d-pad is generally considered a decent pad for SF. Personally I found it a god send when I 1st played SF alpha on the ps1. I could finally actually do the moves.

I found it much harder on the mega drive.

Imo the ps d-pad is just as good, if not better then a snes d-pad.

But while the playstation d-pad is down to opinion or personal taste, the 360 pad is another story. The D-pad just wasnt made right, it just doesnt work like a d-pad should work. Most ****ty 3rd party control pads, would have a better d-pad.

Theres pc game pads in gamestop for 8 euro, and they have a better d-pad.

But the 360 people are in a grind due to there being a lack of 3rd party options for controllers on the 360 thanks to microsoft. People I know with the 360 generally have to try and play the game with the sticks instead of the d-pad.

Its a shame as apart from the d-pad the 360 pads a decent controller.

I'll be playing the game with my playstation pads anyways for the time being.

joe123

I would not worry about the unfair advantage of having a pad designed for this game becase while its a better controller than most will be using, some will also have them or a better controller and the fact is that no matter how good you are with any system unless your named Diago somone somewhere is going be better than your. Besides from which having a good controller does not mean you will be good at the game either.

Besides that you could say the same about having an advantage by having a more powerful graphics card in a PC or widescreen monitor/TV etc etc. With PC gaming everyone has a different PC but while the person who has the better rig has an extremely marginal advantage the difference between players will be there skill level.

joe123

I would not worry about the unfair advantage of having a pad designed for this game becase while its a better controller than most will be using, some will also have them or a better controller and the fact is that no matter how good you are with any system unless your named Diago somone somewhere is going be better than your. Besides from which having a good controller does not mean you will be good at the game either.

Besides that you could say the same about having an advantage by having a more powerful graphics card in a PC or widescreen monitor/TV etc etc. With PC gaming everyone has a different PC but while the person who has the better rig has an extremely marginal advantage the difference between players will be there skill level.

But what I mean is if i refuse to spend extra on a new controller ill be stuck using the 360 one and constantly trying to pull off moves that never work cuz of flawed design while im playing others with feckin sticks/pad designed for the game.It has fustration written all over it.

Well certain genres are designed for certain control systems and it really comes down to your choice. Would you get the value out of buying a pad/stick soley for certain types of games. Will you use the pad for other games (you might find the pad better for other genres)

I primarily play on a PC but I do have an joypads to play football games and racing games. I play enough of them to ensure I can get the value of the joypads I have.

From my understanding the Xbox 360 pad is a better pad overall than the PS3 pad just not for fighting games.

Its up to yourself, you simply have to decide if you will get the use out of a stick/pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I'll probably get it for PC(I wish more fighting games(Tekken) and more racing games(GT, Forza) were released on PC).

And I can have any controller I want, muahahah...... take that console guys.

But seriously, you guys should try Sega Saturn USB pad, ebay is full of them, they are cheap and I haven't tried them personally but people who have praise them to no end.

Playstation controller's d-pad is alright - used it for Alpha 2 back in the day. I'm getting the Mad Catz fightpad for the 6 face buttons (don't like using shoulder buttons for SF) and am getting the 360 version to have a competent d-pad on that system.
    if i refuse to spend extra on a new controller ill be stuck using the 360 one and constantly trying to pull off moves that never work cuz of flawed design while im playing others with feckin sticks/pad designed for the game.It has fustration written all over it.

That's the reason to upgrade from the 360's d-pad. It's a total design failure. When it becomes noticeable that commands aren't registering - you start asking "why bother". If you are hoping to play a challenging game, then knowing there's a good chance the pad will let you down, again, just ruins the experience.

Do you use and have you noticed the shortcomings of the pad though? Every time the internet discusses a subject like this, somebody claims that they find the offending item perfectly usable.

£60.40 for both the 360 game and fightpad (delivered) if you order from here and here. Unfortunately they have stopped taking pre-orders of the pad.

You can try this mod if you don't want to buy a new controller:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

From my understanding the Xbox 360 pad is a better pad overall than the PS3 pad just not for fighting games.

Or for football games in My opinion. The stick don't cut it!

Advertisement