Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The SFIV count down thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Yes but I'm holding out for the PC version.
    A good E Honda or Blanka player - hell even a bad one, like me - can destroy the Ken clones.

umm right.
    You have two types of people who play on Ken.

Noobs and people who have mastered him over the years.

I very much doubt that bad Blanka/Honda players could match a guy playing as ken for almost almost 2 decades

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

ntlbell wrote: »
    this is the problem, and it's not exclusive to ken

there's no difference in someone using bision and rolling across the screen back and forward.

this is a genuine lack of creativity on the players part it's nothing to do with ken

picking ken doesn't force the player to keep throwing fireballs all day.

this is a "player" problem not a "character" problem

That's true but most of the problem players pick Ken! You don't get people with Bison constantly doing psycho crushers or with Blanka constantly electrified, you get the same few characters (Ken, Ryu, Sagat, Akuma and Sakura to a lesser extent) and the same tactics of rapid fire fireballs (which are a lot easier to do in succession than the charge attacks). I can beat them but I don't get the same sense of satisfaction playing against that sort of player as I do against more varied opponents (players, not characters).

How many of you have come up against Dhalsim, Blanka, Bison, Balrof, Zangief, Chun Li, E. Honda, Guile, Vega, Abel, Crimson Viper, Rufus or El Fuerte? I think I've played one Guile player, one Rufus player and one Bison player and the rest have all been Ken/Ryu/Sagat/Akuma/Sakura.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I only got to play online twice, one was ryu who I lost to (he did the usual tactic, back into a corner and throw fireballs, then jump kick and sweep) the other was Rose who I beat with Zangief

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Hell yes, getting it for the PS3
    It's a balance thing. Throughout all the Street fighter games over the years, ken has been powerful in them all. The best? perhaps not always but close to "top tier" everytime.

People know this, therefore most new players just flock to him as they are learning the game. Plus, the world and his brother knows the commands for fireballs and shoryuken's. They are basically the same for every iteration. That has alot to do with it.

Thats not to say that ken doesn't have depth. Its just that hes a very noob friendly character.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

umm right.
    I very much doubt that bad Blanka/Honda players could match a guy playing as ken for almost almost 2 decades

Probably not, but there's very few of them playing online right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Probably not, but there's very few of them playing online right now.

I'll be there tonight:p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Kirby wrote: »
    It's a balance thing. Throughout all the Street fighter games over the years, ken has been powerful in them all. The best? perhaps not always but close to "top tier" everytime.

People know this, therefore most new players just flock to him as they are learning the game. Plus, the world and his brother knows the commands for fireballs and shoryuken's. They are basically the same for every iteration. That has alot to do with it.

Thats not to say that ken doesn't have depth. Its just that hes a very noob friendly character.

I wouldn't consider ken/ryu et all in any of the SF games noob friendly to someone new to SF...

trying to teach someone to move from left to right on a stick pad is a hell of a lot easier than trying to teach them srk's etc.

I couldn't sleep for a week when i got my first DP out in the arcade.

but rolling with blanka etc was a pinch of salt.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Ken was only high tired in Street Fighter 3 and was regarded as mid tier in Super Turbo and mid tier in SF4 at least from the Japanese arcade rankings.

Seems Sagat is once again is king of the heap. But tier listing is only really relevant for extremely high level play. I'd doubt any of us here on boards are near the level where thats important anyway.

I checked last night anyway that I had played 300 games online. 200 at least have been against ken and I'd say another 50 against shoto clones. As I said I don't mind 1 person picking 1 character but it seems really odd so many picking ken.

Had a few good games against Cammy, Guile, Fei Long and Chun-li players.

Also I see David Silrin has taken a swipe at SF4 for not being casual friendly.
    http://www.sirlin.net/blog/2009/2/22/a-few-things-about-street-fighter-4.html#comments

I agree with a few of his points mainly about the connection system and being able to see players names before ranked games. Don't agree with his issues on the 2 button throw and not experienced enough to talk about kara-cancelling.

The main thing he seems to complain about is the difficulty of links. That it puts up an artifical barrier where only the truely dexterious succeed over people with better tactics. I personally don't see why there can't be both.

Having said that playing online and trying to do links is pointless because of input lag so learning them would only really benefit offline players.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Yeah, you really shouldn't be able to see who your opponent is choosing in a ranked match.

Azza wrote: »

Also I see David Silrin has taken a swipe at SF4 for not being casual friendly.
    http://www.sirlin.net/blog/2009/2/22/a-few-things-about-street-fighter-4.html#comments

I agree with a few of his points mainly about the connection system and being able to see players names before ranked games. Don't agree with his issues on the 2 button throw and not experienced enough to talk about kara-cancelling.

The main thing he seems to complain about is the difficulty of links. That it puts up an artifical barrier where only the truely dexterious succeed over people with better tactics. I personally don't see why there can't be both.

Having said that playing online and trying to do links is pointless because of input lag so learning them would only really benefit offline players.

I'll preface this by saying I quite like Sirlin. He's a nice guy and i DO agree with a few things that he said in that article......

But the important thing about opinions from Sirlin is take them with a grain of salt. He's heavily biased. Firstly, he fancies himself a competitive player so alot of his gripes are based around his own wants and needs as a player. For example, his gripe about 2 button throwing is because his own fight stick only has 6 buttons. Therefore he will need to either adjust his playstyle and adapt to two button throwing or get used to a new stick.

There are big, big advantages to 2 button throwing and he just completely ignores them. They help to punish players who miss and this is important. He is just looking out for himself and people like him. In the same way that he tried like hell to buff e.honda in HD remix because he was a honda player.

HD remix is apparently the bee's knees because he had a hand in it. In SF4, he didn't. Its human nature for him to be nitpicking because he didn't have any input on how things where done on this game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Strange issue I have with SFIV:
    My HRAP is too loud while I play.
    It's literally like I'm playing on a metal drum.
    So I can't play after 10pm lest I wake the whole house :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Just to elaborate what I was saying earlier in regards to ken as someone was getting defensive. I'm just saying I normally main ken myself, but just seeing as 80% of the players I'm facing online are playing ken and playing him badly/wrong, I may as well mix things up and play other people.

I also hate mirror matchs. I really like ken is sf4 as he reminds me of 3s ken, just a bit weaker due to the way specials work in this game versus 3s. & yes in 3s ken was top tier and ryu was mid tier, but its the other way around in SFIV, largely due to ryu having more options.

But as azza said this doesnt really matter for us casual players.

& to elaborate what I said about people running away lol. I'm saying literally, round 1, fight: the ken player just starts jumping backwards, for the whole fight. He gets to one corner then starts heading to the other.

It looks ridiculous seeing the two characters rolling in the air , one chasing the other (jumping kinda looks odd in 3d). With ken you do the most damage up close, he's a rush down character.

All these players are giving ken a bad name lol

One last thing thats annoying me about players online is how almost EVERYONE, waits to see who I pick 1st before they pick their guy. Jesus...

In terms of matchmaking, I really wish we could see players flags so we know where they're from. Or at least be able to select a region. The language preference is pretty much pointless. But right now its my best way of guessing if someones from the eu as ping doesnt show half the time :(

& azza , your bison is evil :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Play for fun. Don't break the game characters down piece by piece and complain about how others play. There is always someone better than you and many more worse.
    Games are about fun, sometimes I see people taking things too seriously.

well this is my point, thats why I :rolleyes: when I see people waiting to see who I pick before they pick.

I'm used to playing 3s on my pc where it was all about the fight itself, not about winning or losing. I miss being able to go 30 rounds with a guy back to back and not having such a delay between fights.

My point about the ken players is that if maybe they were not so worried about losing and afraid of other players and thus spend the game running away, and instead tried actually 'attacking'. They might stop losing so badly. & might spot the options their character actually has and thus might have more enjoyable fights where while they might still lose they don't feel the need to run away either.

kenflowc.png

:pac:

and the roster :

kenroster2.jpg

(taken from the same thread on SRK More funny images there.

I loled in RL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    kenflowc.png

:pac:

That pic is amazing. I play Ken (no, not like the chart) and I lol'd in the office. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    Ken Diagram[

Brilliant - Thats my Ken play from years ago and 99% of the players ob SFIV at the minute.

I spilled my tea with a guffaw:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

im not the best player in the world, but i try to use different characters. ive stopped picking ken and started picking ryu now tho, mainly coz theres so many people who use ken

not that its made the slightest bit of difference to my play, but it seems likea bit of variety

sometimes tho, after getting a fair few kickings in a row ill go back to ken just to get a win. it is cheap, but im not a haduken x 25 player

try never to do the same move twice in a row, even if its working against the opponent (tho if youre both on your last bit of health ill admit to firing out 3 or 4 fireballs to wrap it up, but thats only something i do now purely because im not 100% confident of getting in close sometimes)

my main problem with it is that there are too many people who neither seem to be playing for fun nor to improve themselves, which negates the entire purpose of online games imo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd say most people picked those habits up from playing SF2 and the alpha games before alpha 3. In SF3 and Alpha 3 it was mch more about combos than single hits to counter since single hits took a lot less damage. Before that a defensive Ken or Ryu were great tactics. Against poor players it helped make the character set themselves up and leave themselves open but against a good player they could move into a good postion and force the ken/ryu player to make a move and leave themselves open.

Helix wrote: »
    im not the best player in the world, but i try to use different characters. ive stopped picking ken and started picking ryu now tho, mainly coz theres so many people who use ken

not that its made the slightest bit of difference to my play, but it seems likea bit of variety

sometimes tho, after getting a fair few kickings in a row ill go back to ken just to get a win. it is cheap, but im not a haduken x 25 player

try never to do the same move twice in a row, even if its working against the opponent (tho if youre both on your last bit of health ill admit to firing out 3 or 4 fireballs to wrap it up, but thats only something i do now purely because im not 100% confident of getting in close sometimes)

my main problem with it is that there are too many people who neither seem to be playing for fun nor to improve themselves, which negates the entire purpose of online games imo

Think you misunderstand where we're coming from man. Kens not cheap, and neither is doing his SRK over and over.

Its nothing to do with cheapness, its to do with not playing him right. Literally, all you have to do when you face a ken player who only knows SRKing as gameplay is run up to him when he's on the ground, then block.

He'll heavy SRK of course. And all flying into the air giving you a **** load of options to punish him. Throw him, combo him (eg with akuma, HP>light spin kick> heavy SRK. ) or ultra/super him.

Then run up to him again, of course he'll srk again, you block , and repeat.

Nobody is saying ken is cheap. Nobody is saying kens a ****ty character. & nobody is saying your a bad player if you pick ken.

We're just saying theres an amazing amount of people who dunno how to play, picking ken online.

Of course it is understandable. SF4 is new, a lot of new people are playing it now, plus people who've not played it in a decade. So a lot of these kens would be facing equally new other players and find that the random SRKing works on them, and thus keep doing it until they finally play someone who knows how to bate and punish. And hopfully, they'll learn, and hopefully, start trying other things with ken and realise that he's actually far more fun a character to play when using all the tools he has and not randomly HP SRKing all day long and jumping backwards lol.

Although I do miss knee bash :(

• Advertisement

gonna give that little anti-srk trick a shot now after the football haha

nice one

Lemme know how it works out.

I posted these in the thread on the playstation section, but I'll post them here too for the "lulz"

:

[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

After complaining about all the Kens earlier I head a mammoth session there with all sorts of characters being selected, great fun!

So.... a couple days on is there still an abundance of Kens floating about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Oh yes. I played last night for a few hours and I reckon 90% of my opponents were either ken or ryu. It was getting really boring. I saw a few painfully trying to decide whether to choose ken or ryu. moving back and forward between the two before making up their mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

How many ppl use the D-Pad, and how many use the Analog stick ?

I don't play much, when i do its normally for 15 mins as I play so many other games too.

But if i were to get into it whats better ?...I use the D-Pad atm, but christ the xbox ones seem built as if they were never intended to be used :P

Ah yeah, many kens who dunno how to play ken still around. Whats worse is the people online who have such little faith in their ability to actually play, the cheeky bastards set the rounds to 1 and time to 30 seconds in the hope their opponent wont realise.

Or the people that 'ragequit' as they're about to take a loss. Its pretty sad what 'rank' and battle points do to people.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    How many ppl use the D-Pad, and how many use the Analog stick ?

I'm on the ps3 so d-pad yeah. But if your on the 360 and wanna use a d-pad you're pretty much gonna have to find a non microsoft pad that works with the 360 , which I'm finding hard to do.

You can only get so far using a ****ty thumbstick to control your character.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

While the game itself is brilliant, the online is very lazy and full of things I'd like to see changed. The fact you can choose your opponent is a really bad idea. You get people constantly looking for the same poor players in order to boost their ranking. Others just look for someone with no icon or picture (presuming they are new to the game).

Also, because you can see which character your poonent is about to choose (and vice versa), it takes ages for some people to pick, and some (most) resuse to pick first so they can choose a character that words well against the opponents character.

Another annoying thing is that you cannot see your online W/L record.

Am hoping that an update will sort some of this out.

IMO the SSF2THD online matchmaking system is basic, but way better than SF4.

your w/l record is in player data from the title screen

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Helix wrote: »
    your w/l record is in player data from the title screen

I though this was both ur online and offline record combined? Maybe not.

Advertisement