Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The SFIV count down thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Yes but I'm holding out for the PC version.
    Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    The actually game, is multiplayer. Its a multiplayer game. The whole point is to play against people. Because thats where the 'game' actually is.

Despite playing street fighters on and off over the years since childhood. I never really played street fighter. till I played Street fighter 3 online over a year ago. While I enjoyed the game. I never realised how ****ing amazing it was till then.

You cannot play mind games against a computer. Its about two minds locked into battle trying to out predict, out think, out react and trick the other player. As well as timing moves etc.
    very true, but i prefer sitting in the same room as my opponent, less spastic "ffs you nailed me in that first round, i'm gonna disconnect!" moments :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Are they any good? Might get one for mame. Also will SF2 hd remix be ported to the pc aswell?
    1. They are AWESOME, only issue might be with the triggers feel a bit weird at first.
    2. Highly doubt HDRemix is coming to PC, ever.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Hell yes, getting it for the PS3
    Just continued 50 times and still couldn't beat the last boss on Arcade mode medium difficulty with Ken.

I may not go back to the game, Capcom you've programmed him completely unfairly - he does that unblockable "become a part of me" attack without having his energy bar full and that's not even the only unblockable attack. I pwn him the first round each time and get down to 10% then it just becomes impossible. I was getting no enjoyment out of it whatsover. Eventually my pad ran out of batteries which was lucky because I nearly threw it through my 32" Sony screen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm actually kind of fed up with fighting game bosses going all SNK and being utterly cheap and nasty. I don't think anyone actually likes this. I much prefer the SF2 method where the final 4 bosses aren't cheap and nasty just very unconventional and require different tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I actually found the boss to be not too bad. Once you play him enough you realise his weaknesses and how to exploit them he gets really predictable.

(he was frustrating as hell though when I played the game first, pad through monitor situation)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Oh great. I've just been informed that my TV has been thrown out. Anyone got a bag of lime handy? Enough for two? I don't think I was meant to play this game properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

wold peoplestop whining bout Seth. He is not hard, he is very sucebtable to rush attack (especially from Ken)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Oh great. I've just been informed that my TV has been thrown out. Anyone got a bag of lime handy? Enough for two? I don't think I was meant to play this game properly.

Why would they throw it out and whats a bag of lime?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Jim wrote: »
    I actually found the boss to be not too bad. Once you play him enough you realise his weaknesses and how to exploit them he gets really predictable.

(he was frustrating as hell though when I played the game first, pad through monitor situation)

Yeah I've started to get him sorted myself. Beat him first time with Cammy, Guile, Bison and Sakura now.

I still have to unlock Akuma. I only get time to play this at the weekends and have a few characters to beat it with.

noodler wrote: »
    Why would they throw it out and whats a bag of lime?

Because they have wanted to reclaim that room since forever and the lime is to remove the evidence when I bury their bodies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Lag makes many online matches feel like characters are fighting through pudding.

Squishy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I think theres a standard 20inch beko telly up in my attic if ye want . Can have it for free.
    Its not Flastscreen or anythin
    Dublin btw

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I think theres a standard 20inch beko telly up in my attic if ye want . Can have it for free.
    Its not Flastscreen or anythin
    Dublin btw

Thanks, but i'll probably just crack during the weekend and run into Newry and get a HD screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

The actually game, is multiplayer. Its a multiplayer game. The whole point is to play against people. Because thats where the 'game' actually is.

Despite playing street fighters on and off over the years since childhood. I never really played street fighter. till I played Street fighter 3 online over a year ago. While I enjoyed the game. I never realised how ****ing amazing it was till then.

You cannot play mind games against a computer. Its about two minds locked into battle trying to out predict, out think, out react and trick the other player. As well as timing moves etc.

The game HAS multiplayer, but its not multiplayer only. Its fine if you have friends to play with, and if you can get a decent fight aganst randomers on live, yeah also great. But i dont always have friends in the house or on live, and sometimes i dont want to spend 10 minutes searching for a game, which is why theres a single player. I could care less about playing mind games, i just want to play the game.
    Single player is perfectly enjoyable and gives you a good place to practice honing combos for when you do go online. Just cause you prefer MP doesnt mean you can summarily dismiss the SP out of hand completely

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Almost no fighting game ever has had an enjoyable single player experience, and SF4 is no exception. Playing against the ****ty AI will just teach you bad habits, because you're just learning to exploit AI patterns, not play the game.

The only things you could get out of it is practicing combos and reversals, the latter of which is barely even necessary in this game, and training mode is better suited to learning combos.

I mean, if you're enjoying yourself, go for it, but the game was not designed for single player.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Because they have wanted to reclaim that room since forever and the lime is to remove the evidence when I bury their bodies.

Oh. Murderer.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Almost no fighting game ever has had an enjoyable single player experience, and SF4 is no exception. Playing against the ****ty AI will just teach you bad habits, because you're just learning to exploit AI patterns, not play the game.

The only things you could get out of it is practicing combos and reversals, the latter of which is barely even necessary in this game, and training mode is better suited to learning combos.

I mean, if you're enjoying yourself, go for it, but the game was not designed for single player.
    Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution.

I said "almost", and I haven't played VF4:E. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

very true, but i prefer sitting in the same room as my opponent, less spastic "ffs you nailed me in that first round, i'm gonna disconnect!" moments :D

Yeah as long as its another human. SF was born from playing right beside people in the arcades.

0ubliette wrote: »
    The game HAS multiplayer, but its not multiplayer only. Its fine if you have friends to play with, and if you can get a decent fight aganst randomers on live, yeah also great. But i dont always have friends in the house or on live, and sometimes i dont want to spend 10 minutes searching for a game, which is why theres a single player. I could care less about playing mind games, i just want to play the game.
    Single player is perfectly enjoyable and gives you a good place to practice honing combos for when you do go online. Just cause you prefer MP doesn't mean you can summarily dismiss the SP out of hand completely

The 'game' is in the mutiplayer. Just cause you find SP enjoyable doesn't change the fact that street fighter has always been about fighting real people. Its built around it. Single player is just a bonus feature.

Like being able to play with bots in games such as left 4 dead or battlefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution.

cant agree there. Virtua fighter is possibly one of the most dull fighting games I have played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Stanzen

[quote=Dreddybajs;
    I mean, if you're enjoying yourself, go for it, but the game was not designed for single player.[/quote]

True, this game was designed for 2 people to fight each other. My problem is finding 'normal' people on line to fight against. I prob win 2 out of 10 matches, i'm not a street fighter noob. I can hold my own but on-line matching system needs to be tweeked. Until then, I'm spending alot of time in the training room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Online IS the training room :p. Best way to learn is to play someone better then you. Play playermatch where you can hopefully play the same person over and over. Pity theres such a delay between matchs.

I hope its not like this on the pc version.

In regards to 'normal' people. I dunno man, I came from playing 3rd strike online where I was generally playing against people who'd played the game for years. & was instantly seeing far more advanced gameplay than I thought possible.

I was always fighting up hill battles. But I learned more about how to actually play the game with every loss. & the wins really meant something.

Its a little dull going from that to SFIV where it feels like I have to wade through 20 people who dunno how to play before I find someone that does. Knowing how to do a fireball or a combo doesnt mean you know how to play, you have to play online.

I don't consider myself good at the game at all though, as I can't do any of the **** good players can yet. However I'd probably be far better at the game than I am now if I was playing these people and losing most of the time. When you lose you watch why it is you lost and how your opponent beat you. Try to do what he did to you, to someone else online. Someday you'll find someone who knows how to counter it, which means, now you know too.

However I'd probably be far better at the game than I am now if I was playing these people and losing most of the time. When you lose you watch why it is you lost and how your opponent beat you. Try to do what he did to you, to someone else online. Someday you'll find someone who knows how to counter it, which means, now you know too.

So it's like Monkey Islands insult sword fighting then :)

Online IS the training room :p. Best way to learn is to play someone better then you.

You've got a point. After my ass was handed to me I realised maybe I shouldn't jump kick into Balanka!

Indeed.
    New lesson I learnt: you can Hooligan throw Sakura's Ultra, though I can't remember if I started the Hooligan just before, or after my opponent's startup.

Still super-sweet though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Stanzen wrote: »
    You've got a point. After my ass was handed to me I realised maybe I shouldn't jump kick into Balanka!

Sweeps get under his electric field

John wrote: »
    Sweeps get under his electric field

Nice one, cheers for that. I was just loosening him up with fireballs and edging my way in.

Maybe we should start up a SFIV tips n' tricks thread?

Blanka's a beast, not just literally, and a great starting character for anyone who wants to learn the game.

Stanzen wrote: »
    Nice one, cheers for that. I was just loosening him up with fireballs and edging my way in.

Maybe we should start up a SFIV tips n' tricks thread?
    *cough*FightingGameSection*cough*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Indeed.
    New lesson I learnt: you can Hooligan throw Sakura's Ultra, though I can't remember if I started the Hooligan just before, or after my opponent's startup.

Still super-sweet though :D

It's a shame Hooligan sucks in general though. I'd rather punish with cr. mk, rh Cannon Drill.

Advertisement