Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The SFIV count down thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Stanzen

Hell yes, getting it for the PS3
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    *cough*FightingGameSection*cough*

Whoops silly me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Yes but I'm holding out for the PC version.
    No he's saying there should be one, (points at sig)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Sometimes when I'm playing ranked, I place my cursor on the "?" random selection icon just to make the games more interesting. After a few seconds, some players do the same. However, when I then select my randomy chosen character, t move off the "?" and select Ken/Ryu/Akuma/Goken.

These players make me lol.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

The Akumas were out in force today. I think I came up against 4 or 5 in a row. All doing the same thing, throw a few fireballs then spend the rest of the round trying to do a raging demon.

One guy hit me with one and then didn't know what else to do because it didn't knock me out.

I'm still not getting enough practice time in myself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Went online for the first time today, got my assed whooped by people I would destroy in hd remix. Have to get into training!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Wow, Sagat is awesome.

Pwned Seth without dying my first attempt with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

All doing the same thing, throw a few fireballs then spend the rest of the round trying to do a raging demon.

One guy hit me with one and then didn't know what else to do because it didn't knock me out.

I love playing as Akuma, has great combos and the demon flip is really useful, but by god I wish he had either a different ultra or super combo.
    Bloody raging demon is all but useless against anyone who know how to play. Even if you get in a fierce focus counter, sometimes the animation means you push your opponent along without connecting if you time it wrong.

His supers from Alpha & 3S were much more effective (and still had instant hellish death strike as well.)
    So when I'm playing with him I'll just use the super bar ofr Ex moves and rarely touch the revenge bar unless I'm nearly certain to connect or my opponent cant hit me causing me damage!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

as they jump use Raging clue demon and youll catch them as they land.

evad_lhorg wrote: »

I just jumping kick them out of the animation. About 5% of Akuma players I have seen actually know how to use his Super/Ultra effectively. The only time I use it is if I have someone cornered and they block a jumping lp (which then leads into the SC/UC).

If you see an Akuma player light jabbing, you may as well be seeing a massive neon sign telegraphing his move.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I found chun-li to be a great character. Some very different moves to mix it up and some very easy combos as well. Also her super is easy to pull off on the ****ty 360 pad and won't throw out an EX special if you **** it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

evad_lhorg wrote: »

Unless they've messed up and kicked / punched at the very start of the jump, as Futureguy points out, the'll simply kick/punch you out of the animation. And the hitbox on it seems massive as well.

A-Trak wrote: »
    Unless they've messed up and kicked / punched at the very start of the jump, as Futureguy points out, the'll simply kick/punch you out of the animation. And the hitbox on it seems massive as well.

And when playing Ken, that jumping kick normally leads into MP, FP, Fierce Shoryuken or some other combo. Given the fact that Akuma takes more damage than 90% of the characters, that usually wraps up the round there and then.

I think many Akuma players have resorted to zoning with regular/air fireballs which makes for a very boring fight. However, if you are good at Focus-absorbing the fireballs, your revenge gauge is usually maxed out by the time you try to capitalize on an error. When I see Akuma, I just pick Dan or Zangief. The former to annoy them when I beat them (Dan is not as bad as people thing, especially if you are good with Ryu/Ken) and the latter to just hammer them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

My fellow Boardsies,

stop showing me how much I suck at SFIV.

Love & kisses,
    kikimaru024

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    My fellow Boardsies,

stop showing me how much I suck at SFIV.

Love & kisses,
    kikimaru024

You don't suck. Btw you a super turbo player or a 3rd Striker?

The Akumas were out in force today. I think I came up against 4 or 5 in a row. All doing the same thing, throw a few fireballs then spend the rest of the round trying to do a raging demon.

LOL yeah a lot of akuma players giving akuma a bad name by playing him like that. I guess they're still used to playing people who dunno how easy the demon is to dodge. So they just base their game on that.
    A-Trak wrote: »
    I love playing as Akuma, has great combos and the demon flip is really useful, but by god I wish he had either a different ultra or super combo.
    Bloody raging demon is all but useless against anyone who know how to play. Even if you get in a fierce focus counter, sometimes the animation means you push your opponent along without connecting if you time it wrong.

Yeah I miss 3s akuma but SFIV akumas not too far off. But I think it would have been better if they did him 3s style. That is, instead of 2 raging demons and EX moves.

No ex moves at all, and the raging demon and his spinning in the air spin kick super (so as to not make him like ryu in the game)

**edit** oh yeah and in 3s, his 3hit fire-fireball move DIDNT go through peoples fireballs as if it was EX. It did stop ex moves however. I dunno wtf capcom were thinking making this change. Especially since they gave him ex moves now. So not only does he have a normal fire-fireball thats 3hits and goes through both normal fireballs AND ex ones. But he also has an EX version of that too.

WTF?

But yeah, 2 ways to land the demon (idea being getting the opponent to try to hit you) teleport into it, in other words, teleport so you end up right in front/behind the other player, and enter in the comment just as the teleport animation begins to end.

Demon flip > raging demon, demon flip over them and land on the other side, enter in the command 'just' before you land.
    FutureGuy wrote: »

I think many Akuma players have resorted to zoning with regular/air fireballs which makes for a very boring fight.

These akuma players are pathetic imo. Usually means they still dunno how to play him but have at least learnt how ****ing weak he his and not to randomly demon. These people don't even seem to know about demon flip.

I find that Cammy is REALLY good and dealing with these people in an easy way. Cannon drill to get past the air fireballs and in close to him.

(why is it not called cannon drill anymore..anyone? I only started playing cammy, never played as her in any game before. Shes pretty cool but no over head is a big issue)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Just ran into huge problems facing Akuma with Sagat on time attack mode. Had to retry about 30-40 times, lol. Got him eventually. You CANNOT I repeat CANNOT let him back you into a corner - you're goosed if he does. You must fire tiger fireballs at him and try and pick him out of the air as he avoids them. His ultra combo is particularly nasty, and unblockable, but if you can leap as he attempts it he will be wide open and you can catch him with a nice tiger knee to the back of the head.
    You'll still need a bit of luck but he's definitely beatable. Afterwards you'll face Gouken(or Gouki, not sure) which is a far easier fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    You don't suck. Btw you a super turbo player or a 3rd Striker?
    Thanks for the words of encouragement.
    I'm an (ex?) 3rd Striker, tho I kinda played a bit of SFA3 too.

Really though, I'm coming from VF/Tekken, as those were my first "main" fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

When I got bored of dhalsim, im finding Gouken very effective....mainly due to several reasons.

The fact that you can choose three different angles for fireballs means that your opponent is never quite sure when to jump in or not. Also, his "counter" move is lethal. You can counter low and high very easily.....you can even counter ultra's!! Its also very easy to get in a guys face and soar over fireballs with that flying kick move he does. And if they block it, just throw him. Great stuff :).

Tried Gen out today too. Im not that good with him yet but I am going to get good. The guy has 2 supers and 2 ultra's and demands serious respect.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Had all sorts of bother with playing online recently. A couple of days back my line was upgraded from 2mb to 3mb and well I'm seemed to be getting more ping bars online I was getting frequent disconnects and time outs in SF IV.

So I checked on Cunny's advice to see what the PS3 nat settings where. It was set to type 3 which apparantly causes issue in some games.

So I found a guide on which ports to open for the PS3. But low and behold it would refuse to see the open ports or work with UPnP even though the router supports it. I even upgraded the router firmware to see if it would improve the siutation only to find the router would no longer dynamically assign IP address so I had to give the PS3 and 3 PC's static IP's.

Been checking online and it seems its quite common for this to happen and users been unable to get to the Nat 2 setting.

Eventually I bypassed the whole lot by using PPPoe. By I had to go dig up the account details to enable it.

God damn what a hassle. I hope it improves the situation for me online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Took me 50000 attempts to beat Seth with Gen last night. Now I just hate them both. :mad:
    Azza wrote: »
    So I found a guide on which ports to open for the PS3. But low and behold it would refuse to see the open ports or work with UPnP even though the router supports it. I even upgraded the router firmware to see if it would improve the siutation only to find the router would no longer dynamically assign IP address so I had to give the PS3 and 3 PC's static IP's.
    I'm not the most tech-savvy person and probably won't be telling you anything you don't already know but, afaik:

If you are assigned a dynamic IP by your router, the the ports you have opened will only be of benefit for the times your PS3 is given the IP address you specified. Unless your router is set up to recognize the PS3 despite it having a changing IP address (by it's mac address, or whatever) you must choose a static IP address for which to forward ports on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Yeah was aware of that Fnz, I set a static ip on the PS3 so the ports should of worked but no joy still.

But thanks anyway.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I wanted Sakura to be my main character in this and after getting pretty decent with her I realised I don't like her style.

Cammy was next but as much as I try I just can't get to grips with her even though I played her to death in SF2.

Unfortunatly I just keep gravatating back to Ryu. I don't want to be a clone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Play who you want, though while Ryu may seem good because he's familiar, he's actually not that easy a character to competently play. I'd recommend Blanka as a decent choice to learn the game mechanics comfortably, and he's fun to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Jim wrote: »
    I wanted Sakura to be my main character in this and after getting pretty decent with her I realised I don't like her style.

Cammy was next but as much as I try I just can't get to grips with her even though I played her to death in SF2.

Unfortunatly I just keep gravatating back to Ryu. I don't want to be a clone.

Give Guile a go. He's not considered great at tournament level as far as I know but for the vast majority of people you'll face on this he's pretty good. Try in practice mode, you can build up some decent combos with him.

The game is all about trying different characters. Once you don't care about how every single match affects your stats you can try them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Stanzen

Just wondering if anyone is finding the trial modes particularly hard? I seem to be getting to trial mode 4 for most players but that's it, I just can't manage to pull off the combos.

Anyone else having the same problem? Are they hard, or am I crap?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Give Guile a go. He's not considered great at tournament level as far as I know but for the vast majority of people you'll face on this he's pretty good. Try in practice mode, you can build up some decent combos with him.

The game is all about trying different characters. Once you don't care about how every single match affects your stats you can try them all.

Guile is still terrible at lower levels of play but if you like him, play him! :)

I don't consider myself that good a guile but I destroyed people online with him, almost played him exclusively from 1000 to 2000bp which didnt take long with him. People at that level just don't/didnt seem to know how to deal with an aggressive guile.

Anyway, in regards to Akuma players in honor of the Ken flowchart:

akumaflowchart2.jpg

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    akumaflowchart2.jpg

I have issues with that flowchart... that flowchart has issues.

Friday night from 4-8 pm, looking for some Boardsies to play against. Add me if you havent already.

Will be working with some of my lesser played characters. Want to get good with Rufus and C. Viper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Fnz wrote: »
    I have issues with that flowchart... that flowchart has issues.

I have issues. That thing makes just makes sweet f all sense.

Advertisement