Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The SFIV count down thread!

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Yes but I'm holding out for the PC version.
    Makes prefect sense. Most Akuma players just jump away and spam fireballs over and over. If you get in close they teleport away.

The second they get the super or revenge meter to max all you see is lots of random ligh punches in an attempt to get a raging demon out regardess of where you are in relation to them.

Does not bother in the slightest though. Easy win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

its a parody of the ken flowchart. And yea, what azza said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Hell yes, getting it for the PS3
    FutureGuy wrote: »
    Friday night

this is the main problem here :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Flowchart indeed looks broken.

I am getting really sick of the fact that people can see who the other is picking.

I notice that it really is only the "higher" ranked players who do this also.
    The amount of times I see them settle on a character and wait. If I chose Ken/Sagat/Ryu they choose Blanka and if I choose Honda/Blanka/Zangief they choose Ryu/Sagat.

They are only at their ranks because they are tailoring the fight to suit the weakness of the opposing character and not the opposing player

Edit: ment to say Ryu. He is much mor 1 hit knock down than Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Blanka would be a counter to Zangief, it's one of his worst matchups in the game (it's in favour of Blanka).

Also Zangief rips Ken apart and as for Sagat, well, he's great against pretty much everybody.

• Advertisement

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Blanka would be a counter to Zangief, it's one of his worst matchups in the game (it's in favour of Blanka).

Also Zangief rips Ken apart and as for Sagat, well, he's great against pretty much everybody.

I have only met one guy as Zangief who could beat me as Ken but I know what you are getting at. Ken is all about linkning moves and Zangief just does not get phased by hits as much as others. Allows him to rip off piledrivers.

Blanka Vs Ken is favoured to Blanka also (If the person on Blanka is good)

I wish that throws worked properly. Not the two button thing, but the amount of throws that are missed where the character's arm goes through the opponent!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I've never seen that happen, you're most likely out of range, or you're trying to throw them during hitstun/blockstun, which is not possible to do.

To be honest guys don't think it really matters who anyone picks with the skill level most of us are at. The tier list is really only a concern to those at the highest levels of play and even at that they take alot of time to be decided on and can change so current tier lists might not be too accurate.

Azza wrote: »
    To be honest guys don't think it really matters who anyone picks with the skill level most of us are at. The tier list is really only a concern to those at the highest levels of play and even at that they don't alot of time to be decided on and can change.

I am an average to good player, so it does matter to me.
    I hate seeing a guy just wait till i pick so that he can take advantage in the balance of characters.

Beat me, take me on but do not wait to see what character I am picking, so as to take advantage of the weakness

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

To be honest guys don't think it really matters who anyone picks with the skill level most of us are at. The tier list is really only a concern to those at the highest levels of play and even at that they don't alot of time to be decided on and can change.

Honestly, if I could give and advice to any newer players is this. Pick a character you like (find it easy to play as) and practice all his/her combos in the training mode and challenge mode. Play online opponents that are better than you and see how they play. Then, when you find one or two specific characters are giving you problems (ie Zangief vs Ken), become good at them too. Once you do, you will find it easier to beat them.

I would get adept at
    1) Ken/Ryu/Sagat
    2) Zangief
    3) Bison
    4) Fei Long

Theres a good mix of styles in there which will translate to somilar characters.

• Advertisement

Average to good isn't anywhere close to getting to a stage where tier listing matters Norrie.

Just play the characters you prefer and get good at them.

Average to good isn't anywhere close to getting to a stage where tier listing matters Norrie.

Just play the characters you prefer and get good at them.

Ok then, I am bloody good lol
    I will beat more than 95% of the people I play in a normal setting.

I only set my matches for those ranked higher than me though, as ranking mean nothing to me and I like a challenge/lesson. There is no point in hammering a noob, it proves nothing other than that guys is less experienced than you

Tier matching is really doing my head in. I just think that people should not see your selection untill they have made theirs. I will play on the characters that I like but hate seeing people hover over characters untill I pick. People say "wind the clock down and move at the last second" but that is a waste of half a minute before every fight

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I have only met one guy as Zangief who could beat me as Ken but I know what you are getting at. Ken is all about linkning moves and Zangief just does not get phased by hits as much as others. Allows him to rip off piledrivers.

I picked Zangief and the other guy picked akuma and I COULDN'T GET NEAR HIM :( He'd just throw fireball constantly then do that shadow warp move when I got near. Total bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Use PPP or KKK.
    The Lariat should go through the FB and punish him hard.

Or block & throw ;)

Or, if you think he's really bad: EX Running Bear grab :pac:

ShaneU wrote: »
    I picked Zangief and the other guy picked akuma and I COULDN'T GET NEAR HIM :( He'd just throw fireball constantly then do that shadow warp move when I got near. Total bull****

If you can get close to Akuma, you will bury him. Zangief has the most health in the game and Akuma has the second or third lowest. I'll hapily take a fireball to get in close. As soon as he gets past you with the teleport, use the Banishing Flat (shoryuken movement) to get close again-the EX version gets closer and will also get past a projectile. Takes practice but Zangief is in my top 3 fighters and it's worth your while to get used to him.

Gief is evil. His health is huge and he is the hardest to dizzy and his Ex Banishing Flat stuff nearly everything and is great for closing gaps down.

His lariat is evil too and goes through fireballs.

Can't let him get anywhere near you or you start loosing large chunks of health to spd's.

I've yet to play a better Bison then Azzas online, and I've over 1000 online matchs at this stage, tiers really don't mean much till your at tourney level.
    Ok then, I am bloody good lol
    I will beat more than 95% of the people I play in a normal setting.

Well then don't let people counter picking annoy you so much, I agree tis a bit gay alright but if your beating 95% of the people you face it doesnt seem to be helping them much anyway.

I do agree though that the online should have taken a look at hd remix, they did a lot of things right there.
    ShaneU wrote: »

Ah you mean a flowchart akuma ;)

akumaflowchart3.jpg

yes flowchart akuma may be broken, thats what makes him all the more annoying :p Stop bullying him. :pac:
    Gief is evil.

Yeah he really is one of those characters that force you to change your gameplay, they control the round and you have to play a totally different way to beat them (if they're good I mean)

I only have met one Bison online in almost 500 games thats better at him than me. He had about 4,000 battle points. Frustrating thing is only got to play him once so its hard to learn from and to develop counter tactics.

Infact I rarely see anyone play him online. In the Japanese arcades he wasn't picked too often (less than 4% of games, picked 10th most out of 17) and currently there is no Bison player sitting in the Japanese top 20.

However if you wanna see decent Bison players in SF 4 look up Inoue, Kuma and Headpress on Youtube (Bison is known as Vega there)

Nevertheless I find his high risk high reward playstyle good fun. I really need to start uusing tick throws more often and figure out a way of landing his ultra consistently.

lol a dictator player called headpress, he already strikes fear into me. :eek:

Yeah I still dunno a consistent way to beat a good bison, I'm too much of an aggressive rush down player and that plays right into bisons hands lol. Typical of an evil character haha.

This place shall become your GRAAAAAVEEEE

Yeah I find it hard to consistently land charge characters ultras when I want to, guile the most.

I did play a bison who combed into his ultra, he'd do that double air punch and then ultra me on my way down. But other then that he was ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    lol a dictator player called headpress, he already strikes fear into me. :eek:

Yeah I still dunno a consistent way to beat a good bison, I'm too much of an aggressive rush down player and that plays right into bisons hands lol. Typical of an evil character haha.

This place shall become your GRAAAAAVEEEE

Yeah I find it hard to consistently land charge characters ultras when I want to, guile the most.

I did play a bison who combed into his ultra, he'd do that double air punch and then ultra me on my way down. But other then that he was ****e.

The thing about bison is that he is and always was a good offensive character but has very poor defense. That's the trade off for his moves. If you can get in on him first and prevent him doing any moves it becomes difficult for the player to defend against you as you don't give them enough charge time.

So with ken for example, jump kicks followed by hurricane kicks, then sweeps. Keep mixing the moves to avoid showing patterns and don't do random dragon punches as they leave you wide open. I had great fun the other day with people kept doing this leaving themselves open to scissor kick combos.

Of course really good bison players know how to use his standard kicks, punches and especially throws to get back in control.

• Advertisement

Bison is a fair bit better in SF IV over his Super Turbo counter part as he actually has reversals and the teleport to escape corner traps so he's defense has been buffed abit. EX phycho crusher will allow to escape from the corner in most situtations.

He does not have alot of mix up options, and he struggles against multipal cross ups still.

Still he has a few godly moves, like medium for pokingand roundhouse kick which is great AA, as well as EX Siccor Kicks to blow threw fireballs and the evil EX Headpress which really hurts the shoto's.

Also got love his teleport against Akuma air fireball spammers!

Check out this game of Kuma's
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy885veyuik

At 2.37 he fakes a devil's reverse/headstomp which baits his opponet into going for a throw and then lands the ultra.
    and just after 3 minutes he does a 10 hit combo with 2 fadc in it.

GG's last night Cunny.

Some good games last night a few down to the wire like the Bison-Ryu games. You where able to tick throw to me death with Guile, need to figure away of countering that. Guile is apparantly Bison's bogey character but you where not using him in the traditional turtle fashion. Cammy's moves seem to have better priority than Bisons, but I was able to play a defensive game and punish on block against her.

I can see why Sagat is so good. His speed is his problem, like the titanic turning to miss the iceberg before it releases it would be best just to tiger uppercut the thing. I was probably abit too liberal with the physic tiger uppercuts but landing one or better still landing an EX Tiger uppercut is like landing an spd, massive damage.

Still need to work on getting ultra's to hit more consistently.

As for why we where able to play at all I'm unsure.
    I turned off all the other PC's in the house and made sure nothing was interfering with the PS3 wireless but I'm unsure if the connection was stable because of this or because of low contention at this time of night on mine or your internet service provider. I'll try setting up a wired connection but its not really a practical permanent solution for me, but would good to know if its my wireless or not.

Yeah ggs man. yes your one hell of a defensive player , the corner seems to be your most comfortable spot, I've a mad hard time with defensive players, I'm used to 3rd strike and I had so many more options to get stuck in there on them. Like say if I was trying to get in there on you and you were using your 'in-de-structible' keep away kicks with bison. I'd simply jump in parry them. I get progressively worse as time goes on as I get less and less patient against a defensive player.

Sagat is sagat, I know the score with sagat, but I just can't find any obvious way to punish Bison. Easy example being his slide kick. The little ST and HDR I played, this left bison hugely open, if you blocked it. So on a block you could sweep him np.

In SFIV not only does it seem safe for bison, meaning he can slide kick you and block your sweep if you blocked his slide kick. But HE can punish YOU.

In other words, Bison slides at ryu, ryu blocks and sweeps, Bison blocks the sweep and punish scissor kicks ryu as a result. & thats just one of many examples.

Speaking of my guile though yes I play an extremely aggressive guile. Although I don't remember landing many throws on you, I can't deal with the jabs well, its guiles target combo that really helps him. He has an overhead now which I really like, which is my main problem with cammy, shes has NO overhead at all!! If you opponent is crouching, you are ****ed if your playing as cammy lol.

& yeah, ultras, I wiffed so many it wasnt even funny any more, I'm sure you spotted a few of them. My problem is I'm stubborn has hell, the perfect moment to ultra will pop up and I'll wiff it ,and be like "WTF!!!:mad:" and then I'll stupidly continue to try and ultra even though the right moment is long gone. Just to get it out. lol.

I think with ultras you have to enter them in a lot slower then what I'm used to from 3s, which is annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

PS3 players, what are your psn usernames? I want some practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Do you guys play on Live or psn? Im on xbox live as Hokempokem if you want to add me for some games.

Stavanger1 one is my PSN username.

You can add me if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Odd night. 90% of people I played choose Blanka. Think I've fought Blanka about 5 times previous to this.

CodeMonkey wrote: »
    PS3 players, what are your psn usernames? I want some practice.
    Kirby wrote: »
    Do you guys play on Live or psn? Im on xbox live as Hokempokem if you want to add me for some games.

PSN: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055515375

360: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055484316

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

good games last night azza :o... lol, I had literally just got home from work and taken the wrapper off the game and put it in for the first time when you sent me that invite. Was trying hard to remember all my moves from the last time I played SF.

Will have to get some more practice in and unlock all the other characters. Even though I've played a lot of SF before, I'm going to assume I'm a complete beginner now.

Some quick questions:
    1. When should I use light and medium strength attacks? I tend to always just use strong attacks and grabs.
    2. Who should I practice with? I mean Akuma has always been my favourite from before but should I stick with him?
    3. Any other quick tips that will help me out?

• Advertisement

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Some quick questions:
    1. When should I use light and medium strength attacks? I tend to always just use strong attacks and grabs.
    2. Who should I practice with? I mean Akuma has always been my favourite from before but should I stick with him?
    3. Any other quick tips that will help me out?

1. Generally for poking or setting up combos. Especially with Ryu/Ken, crouching MK is great because it has good range and you can hit with a Hadoken straight after it.

2. I'd practice with Ryu, Bison, Zangief, Sagat and Fei Long. Also go with Akuma as you know him, but his Raging Demon is nowhere near as effective as in previous games, so you will be using his EX moves alot more, especially the air fireball.

3. Spend alot of time in the Challenge mode and learn everyones basic combos.

Advertisement