Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The SFIV count down thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

You'll learn the game an awful lot faster if you stick with one character to start with, imo (I don't think Akuma is a good choice for that, personally). Switch around and see whose playstyle you're most comfortable with - I instantly clicked with Zangief in this game even though in ST I play mostly Guile. All the characters are usable, especially at lower levels of play, so don't worry about who's top tier or anything like that, just play as who you enjoy.

edit: I dunno if you meant light/medium specials as well as normal moves, but in general they come out faster and have less recovery, so it's harder to punish you if you mess up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Yes but I'm holding out for the PC version.
    right well a few more games into it now. Still haven't managed to pull off an ultra in a ranked match, and my constant trying just makes me lose faster :(

2 questions:

1. My controller has turbo, is there any reason I should use it in SFIV?
    2. How do you knock the other person out for a few seconds, where birds fly around their head? I've noticed online the person I'm against tends to do it, and then use that time to pull off an ultra when I'm disabled.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1. I wouldn't. The only time you need it is for something like the 100 handslap but I find just hammering the button does just as well. It's probably just so you can use it in other games like shmups.

2. You have to keep landing blows against your opponent in quick succession. SF3 had a dizzy meter but it's been removed in this one. Characters take different amounts of punishment before being dizzied so Akuma would only take a few smacks while Zangief would take a whole lot.

If you want to pull off an easy ultra I recommend Chun Li. I usually have no problem with her ultra and since it's not similar to any of her moves she won't pull off an EX special if you fail. Only problem is if you are playing agianst a defensive player, you will have to go on the offense and throw it into a combo or after a jump attack. She's a great character as well. Other characters like Blanka and that which have the same movement are a good choice as well. Thats with a ****ty 360 pad so it's probably easier with a madcatz pad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Well i got my madcatz controller and finally won a match online. Big difference to ps3. Everyone i fought online was Ken, bar one guy in ranked who was Seth.

I think i need to pick a good character and stick to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

Hell yes, getting it for the PS3
    L31mr0d wrote: »
    right well a few more games into it now. Still haven't managed to pull off an ultra in a ranked match, and my constant trying just makes me lose faster :(

2 questions:

1. My controller has turbo, is there any reason I should use it in SFIV?
    2. How do you knock the other person out for a few seconds, where birds fly around their head? I've noticed online the person I'm against tends to do it, and then use that time to pull off an ultra when I'm disabled.

You don't need to use ultra's, they're extremely unsafe and some characters have better ultra's than others.

Only time you should even try using an ultra is after a level 3 focus then dash cancel or if your opponent is dizzy.

Turbo isn't really needed at all in SFIV, they have made moves like Blanka's electricity and Chun's lighting legs alot easier to execute without having to mash as hard as before.

Each character has a stun bar so when that reaches it's limit, your character will get dizzied for a few secs. You should work on your defence if you're getting dizzied mid way through a match.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    e it's not similar to any of her moves she won't pull off an EX special if you fail. Only problem is if you are playing agianst a defensive player, you will have to go on the offense and throw it into a combo or after a jump attack. She's a great character as well.

I'm pretty sure she can only really combo it off EX legs in the corner, maybe a deep j.rh too? A great way to land her ultra is wait for them to fire a fireball at you, you'll go through it and hit from almost fullscreen if you get it out fast enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure she can only really combo it off EX legs in the corner, maybe a deep j.rh too? A great way to land her ultra is wait for them to fire a fireball at you, you'll go through it and hit from almost fullscreen if you get it out fast enough.

Well I'm not that good yet :). I keep getting hit by fireballs when I try that, haven't got the timing down yet. Can you do it with a super as well?

I didn't know you couldn't combo into it, I'll have practice my focus attacks instead.

Is there a way to counter Zangiefs piledriver and the super/ultra versions from just when you get up off the ground. Seems like a really good tactic to jump forward and unleash a ultra just as the player gets up off the ground?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Anyone recommend a beginners character for a really bad player?

I seriously suck at doing dragon punches and most supers/ultras

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Embrace the evil that is psycho power!

Muahahahahahahhahahahahahah Yes Yes.....this is delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Bloody seth. I really cant stand him as a boss. Haven't gone online yet because I'm rubbish. That and I find it really hard to do most moves with the standard old xbox controller :)

• Advertisement

Dreddybajs wrote: »

She can combo from EX Spinning Bird in the corner too if they spin.

Well I'm not that good yet :). I keep getting hit by fireballs when I try that, haven't got the timing down yet. Can you do it with a super as well?

I didn't know you couldn't combo into it, I'll have practice my focus attacks instead.

Is there a way to counter Zangiefs piledriver and the super/ultra versions from just when you get up off the ground. Seems like a really good tactic to jump forward and unleash a ultra just as the player gets up off the ground?

If you do Zangief's ultra when they're just recovering from a knockdown they can jump straight up or jump back just as you're doing it so it's not good to do it then unless they press something, then it will connect.

Reversals like a shoryuken will beat out Zangief's SPD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

A charge character... Blanka, perhaps? Especially easy to beat the CPU with him.

- Back for 2 seconds, forward and punch.

- Back for 2 seconds, forward and kick. (I find this one especially useful)

No idea if you can do it with the super, sorry.

And yeah, backdashing on wakeup should work to avoid that.

edit:

Blanka's a good character to pick up the basics with, and he's a charge character so the DP thing shouldn't be a problem.

So then whats the best way of using a spinning piledriver against experienced players? Right from a focus counter or attack since you can't combo it anymore? I think I'll be using him a lot more since he's a great character. Just have to renew my live subscription first. can't seem to do a SPD from standing, i always end up jumping.

Is there a way to counter Zangiefs piledriver and the super/ultra versions from just when you get up off the ground.

wondering this also. Its happened a few times online, I'll be against zangief, get caught in a corner and then he'll do is piledriver and I can't block it, is there any easy way out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Jump straight up.

So then whats the best way of using a spinning piledriver against experienced players? Right from a focus counter or attack since you can't combo it anymore? I think I'll be using him a lot more since he's a great character. Just have to renew my live subscription first. can't seem to do a SPD from standing, i always end up jumping.

You could never combo it, only tick throw it, it's just that it's harder to tick throw in SF4.And I don't know what you mean really, it's still easy enough to get in for SPDs, you just have to know the ranges. Standing SPDs should be no problem in this game either, just go from forward to up-back, and hit the punch button when you get to up-back (ie you only have to do a 270 motion not a full 360 degrees). If you're already doing that then you just have to get faster.
    wondering this also. Its happened a few times online, I'll be against zangief, get caught in a corner and then he'll do is piledriver and I can't block it, is there any easy way out of it?

If you jump on wakeup no throw should hit you. Also I think backdash might still work there as it has invincibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Not easy but Akuma has countered me with the weak shoryuken before, that was on the hardest difficulty though, I was like "WTF just happened?" :D

Doing reversal DPs is actually pretty easy, also I think all DPs gain armor breaking on reversal too which is sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Chunnies super doesnt go through fireballs btw. Her ultra does. lol you can always spot a chunny player going for ultra when they just all of a sudden start walking backwards.

I've seen two ways of comboing into her ultra, the ex lighting legs in the corner, and from her ...feck I forget the term, but her command combo thingy....

where she kicks you into the air. People can ultra you on your way down from being hit by that but it doesnt seem to fully connect, just lands an extra hit or two.

edit, went looking for a vid to show an example of what I was talking about and found this amazing ultra set up, at the end of the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzBiDIZhEjU

****ing sweet, so now i've seen 3 ways.

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzBiDIZhEjU

****ing sweet, so now i've seen 3 ways.

yeah don't even have a clue how they managed to pull that ultra off :eek:

Quick question... why is akumas super and ultra so crap. I finally unlocked him and don't know if I'll be keeping him as my main player now. I like being able to fall back on the supers and ultras if needed, but his are absolutely rubbish and easily avoided. I mean I was playing against a guy yesterday, who was pretty good as Akuma, but I was able to block his ultra by just jumping back and doing a LK when he got near me. He must of tried it in every round of every match I played against him and he didn't land it once.

Really don't know who to practice with now :(

Sounds like he wasn't a great Akuma to be honest is he was trying to throw random deamons at you constantly.

I'm not sure how your suppose to land the Raging Deamon. You can simply jump on wakeup.

I think Akuma needs to bait the enemy into a normal move with long recovery or get an enemy in a crupled state from a focus attack or land one while the enemy is recovering from hit stun. To have a decent chance of landing it.

However don't obess over ultra's or supers when your nearing a win siutation. So people become so fixated on them it costs them games.

Asides from which Akuma is still a dangerous character and can run and hide better than anyone else. Not all characters have great supers or ultra's but don't rule them out on that account.

Incidently I see Akuma has been banned from the U.S's largest fighting tournament in Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix as he is simply too powerful as its too easy to land the demon.

You got any voice coms sorted yet Leimrod?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Quick question... why is akumas super and ultra so crap.

His Raging Demons are so difficult to land because the ultra is both, the most powerful and, the coolest. :D

I really haven't played much of the game but I managed to land has ultra in a ranked match against Zangief. I was sucking so badly my opponent was comfortable enough with breaking out The Red Cyclone's 'lumber across the screen and grab move so I caught him during that.

It made me feel big.

we really need a fighting forum. Trying to talk about everything in just a few threads is a pain. Maybe if we flood the games forum with fighting game threads they'll see the need, lol.
    Azza wrote: »
    You got any voice coms sorted yet Leimrod?

I've got a bluetooth headset for my PS3, but it won't help if you are on vent :( My PC is on the other side of the room, and my mic is standalone and wired so its not attached to my headphones. Do you have a bluetooth headset for the PS3?

I could try working something out but it would require shouting across the room at my mic, lol.

My PC and PS3 are connected to the same monitor so I have no issues with using voice coms that way.

The PS3 voice coms seem terrible most of the time as well so I'm not going get a blue-tooth headset. Asides from that I don't play PS3 games online bar this one.

I could talk back to you via vent if you turn your pc speakers up or move them over to your console and you could talk back to me via your hea........OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD JUST RELEASE THE DAMN PC VERSION ALREADY!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Fnz wrote: »
    His Raging Demons are so difficult to land because the ultra is both, the most powerful and, the coolest. :D
    The raging demons only work against newbies who doesn't know what to do and tries to block an incoming Akuma. Most Akumas I fought against will try to use it once, I jump away and punish him and he won't do it again in the same match.

At least you can do his ultra. I am learning vega at the moment and I find his super/ultra motion impossible to do on the ps3 controller even in training mode so I never use them. Maybe things will change when I get my hands on a madcatz pad.

I'm finding characters with that motion for their ultras and supers very difficult to master. I had an awful time trying to beat the single player with guile, had to reduce it to the easiest setting to beat my rival and seth since I could pull off an ultra maybe 1 in 20 times in training let alone under pressure.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Got a 48hr gold code with RE5 so took SFIV online finally.

After getting completely pwned my first few bouts I changed settings to find others with similar skill (ie:noobs) and kicked ass after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

we really need a fighting forum. Trying to talk about everything in just a few threads is a pain.

yes we seriously need a ****ing fighting game forum but I dunno who it is that decides it but they're ignoring all reason for it. I mean what if we made poll? Would that work? Last thread the guy said nothing will be done till the forum is re-done then after that he just ignored us.

A lot of important stuff about the game as been said in other pages on this thread and yet someone getting into it now isnt going to wanna ****ing trawl through the whole thing to read it all.

Plus theres so much stuff I wanna talk about but can't with out flooding the game section.

Also it would provide a matching making place where we could chat together about matches we had. BAH!

Maybe if the original thread wasnt started by someone with the name 'cunny-funt' or was started by someone with a higher post count it wouldn't be dismissed as much :(

Anyway, akumas demon.

General way to land it is to trick people into trying to hit you, you can do a demon flip over them and cancel it into a raging demon.

You can teleport into the demon but I find this a lot harder to do then in 3s.

Focas attack into demon is possible but you have to be really fast. And lastly punishing ultras is another way but you have to be really fast AND make sure not to hit them with the jabs.

wake up demon is another way but that worked better in 3s. But if a guy is constantly attacking as your getting up you can get them this way.

Then theres more advanced stuff like Kara=demons but thats way over my level. There may be other ways of landing the demon in sfiv that I've not seen yet, there probably is.

Other then that. Twice I've had some guy do a demon while I'm on the ground, so I'd be tapping up and yet he still landed it on me. leading me to think theres a way to time it just perfectly to get them on wake up, but when I tried in training mode I couldn't get it going so maybe it was just delay/lag.

**edit**

But akumas so powerful that your better off landing a combo on a guy most times instead of trying a demon.

Give me a shout on PSN and I'll show you my akuma as a lot of people on SF4 are playing him wrong (flowchart akuma) and so many people are all "monkey see monkey" do and thus most akumas are copying each other and making a total mockery of how the character is meant to be played. Akumas not supposed to run away like a pussy he's for getting in and utterly destroying you lol.

3s akuma was so much more badass than SFIV akuma though.

"WEAKNESS IS A DISEASE, I AM THE CURE"

Advertisement