Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The SFIV count down thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Far as I know getting a raging demon on someone who's holding up on wakeup is impossible.

Another use for the raging demon you didn't mention is as anti-air, as it has some invincibility on startup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Yes but I'm holding out for the PC version.
    yeah if you do an airfireball (not a jump back one) and the guy is trying to get to you and jumps over it, you can enter the demon command while still in the air and you'll catch him as he lands.

The invincibility is pretty iffy though, I think it has zero against fireballs. I did a wake up demon as a guy was right beside me trying to do a meaty fireball meaning I only caught the end of it but it still hurt me where as in 3s that wouldnt have happened.

The funniest demon **** up I did was against blanka, I knew the guy was gonna super so I had jumped over him, he flew off blanka balling with sparks flying and I landed behind him and raging demoned across the screen into his super ball and I got killed.

I thought it would land cause I did the very same thing to him in another round , I think I just did it too early the 2nd time but it was funny stuff. :pac:

So if you land behind blankas superball don't demon too early! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Far as I know getting a raging demon on someone who's holding up on wakeup is impossible.

Yeah why is that :mad: ok I know, Akumas Ultra takes off 60%, but sometimes it's absolutely ridiculous that it doesn't make contact. My tactic was to jump in, do a low HK (or focus), and as soon as the opponent falls over to pull off the ultra. I would literally be pushing the opponent back with my ultra while they where standing back up and they'd be able to immediately jump over me.

I wish they'd made either Akumas super or ultra a projectile.

Have you any good links for some strats for Akuma?

It was like that in 3rd strike too. It'd be ridicules if you could just sweep a guy then demon him. I too wish that instead of two raging demons, he had one, and his other super being the spin kick one he had in 3s (a projectile one would be too close to ryu)

There are ways to punish particular characters moves on block with a demon, but its different for everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVxZIgxGCzA&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fsoulcalibur.ca%2Fneorussell%2Farchives%2F386&feature=player_embedded

**edit** heres examples of a kara demon in 3s, dunno if it can be done in sfiv however.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlSNmz5y7VE&feature=related

Inescapable raging demons on wakeup would be very silly. ;p I don't know any links for Akuma stuff, I guess focus your game around air fireballs if you want to play as him. Otherwise you could do better as Ryu anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm almost sure you can combo into a raging demon?

Inescapable raging demons on wakeup would be very silly. ;p I don't know any links for Akuma stuff, I guess focus your game around air fireballs if you want to play as him. Otherwise you could do better as Ryu anyway.

yeah I've started to get good with air fireballs and teleports. Akuma really can not take any hits though. He's dizzied within a few punches. So I tend to jump back air fireball, wait until they are close then either demon flip or teleport behind them, and then repeat but to the other side of the screen. It feels cheap, but it wins in most of the matches I've played online (non ranked though, I don't think I'm good enough for that yet)

I've also been timing my raging demons, as per your video link cunny, to just before they hit the ground after a jump. A few so far have landed using this technique.

Quick question. I really don't know the terminology, but from reading online what does the terms "cancel into... ", "...level 3 focus attack" and "attempt to Tech..." mean?

nvm, found this

EDIT: Some other questions:

1. whats the best way to counter a throw?
    2. What's the most effective way to wake up the fastest?
    3. Is it known what needs to be pressed to end a dizzy faster?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

L31mr0d wrote: »
    EDIT: Some other questions:

1. whats the best way to counter a throw?
    2. What's the most effective way to wake up the fastest?
    3. Is it known what needs to be pressed to end a dizzy faster?

1. You have to be able to read when your opponent is going for a throw and press the throw command at the exact time. It's very difficult but it's useful to use this knowledge if you want to play 'tick throw' mind games.
    2. The quick wake up command is your best bet. Down and a punch and kick button (can't be sure which ones). If you really want to bring your game to a new level, learn how to do reversals. You can do stuff like dragon punch just as you are getting up and is a nasty surprise for anyone playing agressively and trying to press home an advantage or tick throw strategy.
    3. waggle the joystick back and forth and hammer all the buttons really.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Prepare to laugh hard at a player throwing away a top 16 spot in a major American Streef Fighter 4 tournamet due to premature celebrations.

This video will be be as well remember as Daigo's famous 3rd Strike final.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2009/mar/30/epic-fail-premature-celebration/

Inescapable raging demons on wakeup would be very silly. ;p
    yeah, as far as I remember alpha 3 was like that LOL! Can't remember how much damage a demon did though, not played that in yeaaaars.
    I don't know any links for Akuma stuff, I guess focus your game around air fireballs if you want to play as him. Otherwise you could do better as Ryu anyway.

no no no this is bad, very very bad! Do not play like a flowchart akuma!!
    yeah I've started to get good with air fireballs and teleports. Akuma really can not take any hits though. He's dizzied within a few punches. So I tend to jump back air fireball, wait until they are close then either demon flip or teleport behind them, and then repeat but to the other side of the screen.

Nooooooooooooo! FLOWCHART AKUMA don't fall into the trap of thinking that's how he's played cause a lot of bad players play him that way.

You can instantly spot a bad akuma if he starts doing this stuff.
    Quick question. I really don't know the terminology, but from reading online what does the terms "cancel into... ", "...level 3 focus attack" and "attempt to Tech..." mean?

nvm, found this

I keep meaning to start a tips and tricks thread for basic beginners stuff. eventhubs has a lot of good info there, helped me when I started 3s, theres some 3s vids on that that's relevant. So many people playing Ryu ken akuma that have no idea about basic stuff like low medium kick > fireball for example.

I really miss how super canceling isnt as relative anymore due to ultras. :(

Lol at that vid azza.

Heres another funny one, I think its the 'top player' (in BP only) on PSN caught being an utter ****ing pussy on camera. The idiot even starts badly trying to defend himself on the youtube comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1voxgsg2l9w

The other guys cammy is amazing.

• Advertisement

Originally Posted by Dreddybajs
    I don't know any links for Akuma stuff, I guess focus your game around air fireballs if you want to play as him. Otherwise you could do better as Ryu anyway.
    Originally Posted by L31mr0d
    yeah I've started to get good with air fireballs and teleports. Akuma really can not take any hits though. He's dizzied within a few punches. So I tend to jump back air fireball, wait until they are close then either demon flip or teleport behind them, and then repeat but to the other side of the screen.

YESSS YESSSS....... play like flowchart Akuma ......this is delicious!

Its far too risky to have Akuma come out and do low.foward into hurricane kick into 3 hit juggling shoyuken combo for about the 1 gazallionith time and take off 25% + health. (incidently Bison has the same combo and does the same if not more damage, its called ex.headstomp :))

While Cunny-Funt is right about not relying only on air fireball spam and teleporting on its own. I reckon Cunny does not use them enough. While its admirable to be all offense I reckon its best to have a balance. There is no right way to play Street Fighter. You can have offensive versus defensive versus a balanced style. Whatever is your preference go for it. Its not that the Akuma flowchart system does not work its just they majority of players are rookies/noobs/scrubs that can't implement the system. A pro could base his Akuma game around or at least a considerable part of it.

I have played Cunny quite abit and while he is the only other Irish player I've met at my level on PSN (which is not that high, I'm not bragging) his decision making at times. You have thrown away several games against me because of this. True Akuma does dish out great damage but the guy can run down the clock like no other character (actually Bison is close :)) and its an option you almost never take.

When the games are tight and down to the wire and at the last slivers of health I don't see why you wish to play daredevil against a character that defines poking and badgering! Why risk a raging demon against someone you can kill with 2 hits. Why do you insist on playing pokes and throws/ tick throws against Bison on wake up when he has metre to escape at worst and at at best score a knockdown. One wrong jump at close range and ex.headstomp stuffs that with no time to react.

Of course you still do beat me with your style of play, and you can trash me if I'm playing some characters I'm not great with but the odds are at least 60-65/40-35 in my favour when I'm Bison against your Akuma. But as I already said if anyone picks Guile against me the odds are 90/10 in there favour :(

Azza wrote: »
    YESSS YESSSS....... play like flowchart Akuma ......this is delicious!

Its far too risky to have Akuma come out and do low.foward into hurricane kick into 3 hit juggling shoyuken combo for about the 1 gazallionith time and take off 25% + health. (incidently Bison has the same combo and does the same if not more damage, its called ex.headstomp :))

I can't tell, lol, was that sarcasm? Do you want me to play the "flowchart Akuma" because you have a good counter to it? :p I'd imagine any other teleporters, like Dhalsim, Seth or M.Bison could counter Akumas jump back, air fireball pretty easily. Also I don't just use this technique all the time, I try and throw in some light, hard and EX hurricane kicks also. I find grabs really difficult though, a lot of times I'll just miss the grab, leaving myself open for a level 1 or 2 focus attack.

I'll be on later btw if you want a few games, although I might only play as Akuma as I want to get the practice in.

See this link Leimrod
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FgLdgCuQZ8&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Hell yes, getting it for the PS3
    Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1voxgsg2l9w

The other guys cammy is amazing.

Awesome vid. I was playing me as Cammy vs Sakura today player matches. They guy beat me 10 rounds in a row, then on the 11th I was just about to beat him and he quit. sigh.

Me saying "use air fireballs" isn't the same as "play like a flowchart Akuma", it's one of the things he has that separates him from other shotos, and if you're not using it, I don't see why you wouldn't just play Ryu instead. Akuma is one of my worse matchups (as Zangief) cause of those dang air fireballs and that teleport.

And Retrogamer, as I've replied to you before regarding SPDs, you cannot combo into throws in Street Fighter games. It is literally impossible because you can't throw someone who's in hitstun/blockstun.

There are still ways to create unavoidable raging demon setups sometimes, with air fireballs in HD remix, and perhaps in Alpha 3 as Cunny was saying, though I've not much experience with that game so I got no clue really.

I see the Evolution Fighting series in the US has banned Akuma from its HD Remix tourney due to his unavoidable demon setups. Seems they did not really fix him from Super Turbo.

And Retrogamer, as I've replied to you before regarding SPDs, you cannot combo into throws in Street Fighter games. It is literally impossible because you can't throw someone who's in hitstun/blockstun.

Thanks for that, didn't know raging demon counts as a throw. Do the command moves for the raging demon have to miss their target for it to work? If they do then it's a very easy move to read :/

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Do the command moves for the raging demon have to miss their target for it to work? If they do then it's a very easy move to read :/

No. Do it in practice, stand right next to the opponent and press the combination, he'll pull off the raging demon, he'll grab them when they come out of stun.

I'm pretty sure you can press the combination while akuma is in the air also, just you'll have to time the HP as he hits the ground.

Like the video cunny posted before though, the best way I've found to land Raging demons is to wait until they jump towards you and time it for just before they hit the ground.

Ah right, so if you are holding up then you can get out of it safely anyway.

Yeah I think getting them at the end of a jump is probably the only way to do it. It will probably just take practice.

Yeah, you shouldn't be standing there inputting the jabs anyway most of the time, apart from anti-air maybe. Buffer the input while doing another move, blocking a move, in the air, on the ground, whatever. Works for every special/super/ultra.

• Advertisement

Well that info about jumping straight up came in handy today against the zangief players. The lower ranked ones kept trying to pile driver me after a knockdown but jumping up meant it was useless. You might get hit by a lariat not and then but it's better than a pile driver.

Also Ryus ultra and super are absolutely useless as projectiles, far too easily read. However if you do them after a jump kick as a combo they are deadly. You can even do a jump kick, fireball or dragon punch then into a super/ultra and can even add a few jabs into that.

Why do you insist on playing .....

Thing about me is I'm coming from 3rd strike where its one big massive rush down. I'd be getting constantly attacked all the time, the idea of someone running away is not something I'm used to, I'm not used to having to chase people and I'm certainly not used to running away myself. I'm used to playing people with unstoppable parry abilities and stuff this is why you see my throw a lot after a hit.

This isnt the ST 'tick throwing' thing that I'm doing. I do it cause I'm used to people parring my **** all the time, so to avoid having my second hit parried I'd grab on reaction.

I have a lot of 'bad' habits from 3s that are gonna take me a long time to work out of my play style, but I knew this was gonna happen. I'm happy I'm not trying to ****ing parry fireballs all the time haha.

I'm really not used to fighting characters like bison and vega, who can sit in a corner but then instantly strike you from miles away, then happily retreat to that corner even if they miss.

I've no idea how to block/counter/avoid most of vegas stuff ,they just seem unblockable but obviously theres some easy way of countering I just don't know of.

Lastly I'm an extremely clumsy and stubborn player. Basically if I miss a combo, through lag, dodgy inputs or my own retardedness, I'll keep ****ing trying to land the damn thing for the rest of the round regardless if its the right time to do so. Everytime I landed a punch on you as akuma I was trying to combo that into something and it kept ****in up. 90% of those teleports was me trying to tele demon you (you must have been wondering why the feck I keep teleporting right in front of you lol)
    I don't care as much about win loss ratios as most people seem to, if it takes ten losses for me to finally land what I was trying, so be it. If I cared about loss ratio and such I wouldn't have enjoyed 3s that much at all. As I joined that where most players were of far higher level than what I'm seeing in SFIV. I know who I'm going to pick before I enter the character select screen, yet everyone always seems to wait to see who I pick before they choose. This comes from playing 3s too. Everyone just picked who they wanted and played the game. I suppose everyone was just more confident. & people wanted to have GGs as it was such as small community and people wouldn't wanna turn people off 3s.

Anyway I could go on lol

There are still ways to create unavoidable raging demon setups sometimes,

Yeah kara demon being the prime example (from 3s) there were other ways but it was all highly advanced stuff. Wake up demon worked well in 3s but its not the same in SFIV.

I'm pretty sure you can press the combination while akuma is in the air also, just you'll have to time the HP as he hits the ground.

You can enter in the demon command while doing anything else from what I've seen. Do a sweep (low heavy kick) and enter in the demon command and it'll come out after the sweep (handy if your pretty sure the guy will answer your wiffed sweep with a sweep of his own he'll be stuck in that animation while you demon him lol)
    Also Ryus ultra and super are absolutely useless as projectiles, .

:eek:

1st regards to his super, like most supers in Street Fighter games, the best way to land them is to super cancel into them. I posted a vid of super canceling in 3s (same **** applies generally) a few posts back.

2nd, ryus ultra is one of the easiest to land in the game. If someones jumping in on you, do a lite dragon punch, then do the ulra, they'll land on the ultra.

in a corner, ex-fireball into ultra works, along with ex-spin kick.

SO:

You got the guy in the corner, and you jump in on him and land a hard kick, combo the HK into HP, cancel into Ex spin kick, (they flip into the air) then ultra them, or you could then ex fireball THEN ultra if you like.

I'm not too interested in rank battles online. Apparantly the ranked 12th place Playstation 3 user is known to play only 1 round matches set to 30 secs a rounds and drops before losing.

Of course Street Fighter 4 has a much lower standard than Super Turbo or 3rd Strike as its a newish game and most players you meet online are not hardcore fighting players.

Its not a good idea to obess over missed moves and combo's thought. Granted you need to practise them to master them but when you miss a move or combo the opportunity may not present itself for a while and trying to do the same thing again makes a player predictable.

As for dealing with Vega he has a number of issues. Firstly his wall dive is easily counterable as its quite slow when done from range. Ditto his roling crystal ball. He has decent pokes and a good ultra but his normal moves do low damage. You just need to be on the look out for cross up wall dives and be thankfull your not dealing with the Super Turbo version of Vega :)

:eek:

1st regards to his super, like most supers in Street Fighter games, the best way to land them is to super cancel into them. I posted a vid of super canceling in 3s (same **** applies generally) a few posts back.

2nd, ryus ultra is one of the easiest to land in the game. If someones jumping in on you, do a lite dragon punch, then do the ulra, they'll land on the ultra.

SO:

You got the guy in the corner, and you jump in on him and land a hard kick, combo the HK into HP, cancel into Ex spin kick, (they flip into the air) then ultra them, or you could then ex fireball THEN ultra if you like.

Don't worry thats what I'm trying to do although my combos are awhole lot simpler :) However even with my rubbish combos you could take 50-60% damage off them.

As a long range projectile attack it's fairly useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

As for dealing with Vega he has a number of issues. Firstly his wall dive is easily counterable as its quite slow when done from range.
    Yeah wall dive is not that useful against players who knows how to defend against it.

You can defend with dragon punch like moves if you are fast. Ryu can knock vega out of walldive with a well timed light dragon punch and immediately connect with his ultra. Ken can time his ultra to punish walldives. I am guessing Guoken can too. Blanka's vertical roll and electric thunders makes him immune to walldive, in fact Blanka usually owns vega. Zangiefs lariat makes this move useless too. Just timing a jump back and kick with Akuma and other characters works too. Akuma's teleport is pretty effective too for getting away.

Vega's ex walldive is a pretty good move though but he's got lots of other problems like no good anti air or wake up moves. He takes more effort to play than other characters.

SO:

Pretty sure you have to FADC the dragon punch, right?

And personally I wouldn't recommend jumping in at someone in a corner generally, you should be able to safely keep them under pressure while staying on the ground (I'm sure this does work though).

And Retrogamer, I'm not sure how an ultra fireball COULD be effective as a long-range projectile...that's not the point of ultras.

Of course Street Fighter 4 has a much lower standard than Super Turbo or 3rd Strike as its a newish game and most players you meet online are not hardcore fighting players.

Indeed yeah, as say for example playing 3s online was a niche, basically you had to have an interest already to do to the effort of finding out how to get it going. Sure I'd say theres loads of 3s fans out there who have no idea 2DF ggpo exists even.
    Its not a good idea to obess over missed moves and combo's thought. Granted you need to practise them to master them but when you miss a move or combo the opportunity may not present itself for a while and trying to do the same thing again makes a player predictable.

Well yes of course, this is just me being an idiot and getting frustrated at missing inputs. Nothing pisses me off more in SF than inputing something and my character not doing it lol. So all logic goes out the window and I get stupid and stubborn and more angry resulting in even MORE missed inputs. Tis a horrible cycle lol

Don't worry thats what I'm trying to do although my combos are awhole lot simpler :) However even with my rubbish combos you could take 50-60% damage off them.

As a long range projectile attack it's fairly useless.

No I was just giving an example there, I think thats ryus most damaging combo but you wouldn't see that happen often in a game, but if you know that, then you know all the more basic combos as all that is is a few put together. I only actually ever pulled that off once in a match, you wouldnt really pull it off unless the guys not the best player or he's dizzy or something.

Standard thing with ryu would be HP>ex spin kick = 300 damage. Flowchart ken misses a dragon punch, do this on him rather than a throw or something. Just remember that if he's in a corner you have an option to ultra too.

As for his super being useless when not canceled into, well yeah I suppose it is, but most peoples are also. One way of landing it like that is during a fireball fight I suppose. But yeah it travels pretty slow.
    CodeMonkey wrote: »
    Yeah wall dive is not that useful against players who knows how to defend against it.

You can defend with dragon punch like moves if you are fast. Ryu can knock vega out of walldive with a well timed light dragon punch and immediately connect with his ultra. Ken can time his ultra to punish walldives. I am guessing Guoken can too. Blanka's vertical roll and electric thunders makes him immune to walldive, in fact Blanka usually owns vega. Zangiefs lariat makes this move useless too. Just timing a jump back and kick with Akuma and other characters works too. Akuma's teleport is pretty effective too for getting away.

Vega's ex walldive is a pretty good move though but he's got lots of other problems like no good anti air or wake up moves. He takes more effort to play than other characters.

Yeah hence him being low tier. But I just seem to fail all the time when trying to stuff a decent vega players wall dives. He grabs me when I'm in air spin kicking, if I try to dragon punch him. The automatic cross over is annoying, I just need more time against vegas as they are rare, I'm used to blanka crossup ball now as I've faced so many.
    Pretty sure you have to FADC the dragon punch, right?

You mean the light SRK into ultra? No you don't, as long as its light. FADCing into moves is something I can't do yet. Only pulled that off once in training lol.

And personally I wouldn't recommend jumping in at someone in a corner generally, you should be able to safely keep them under pressure while staying on the ground (I'm sure this does work though).

I was just giving an example ryus most damaging combo, you can do it without the jumping HK of course. Its generally a pretty easy to do combo. I find it easier then all the light jab combo/links that most people do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

Hell yes, getting it for the PS3
    You mean the light SRK into ultra? No you don't, as long as its light. FADCing into moves is something I can't do yet. Only pulled that off once in training lol.

I think what you mean by light srk into ultra is that you use the srk as an anti air then ultra because it's not possible to do light srk point blank and then do an ultra afterwards, they fall too fast.

yeah I know , he was referring to what I said earlier , which was "If someones jumping in on you, do a lite dragon punch, then do the ulra, they'll land on the ultra."

yea'd need to do the fadc stuff if they were in front of yea. Can't see myself getting good at that for awhile though, but I look forward to it, fancy lookin stuff.

I think thats when sagat gets really evil, when players start pulling off that **** when they want.

I havnt faced too many that use it much though I must say. I like how it uses the super bar, good way to balance it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Roman cancel > FADC.

Guilty Gear got this command spot-on: press any 3 attack buttons except Dust to do a cancel. Continue playing.

SFIV made it: press MP+MK (thus necessitating you to move either your thumb, or your ENTIRE hand), hold MP+MK while double-tapping forward OR back. Then continue.

It's horrid, convulted, and I wish it would just die.

I'm just a hair's width away from giving up SFIV for STHD entirely...

Advertisement