Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The SFIV count down thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

Hell yes, getting it for the PS3
    Loving this game... despite spending a solid 3 hours trying to unlock Gouken without success. It's hard to judge your health for those Ultras... pretty annoying when you've got most of the requirement completed and some fecker catches you with a light jump in kick when you're just about to put an Ultra down on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Sakura is my choice of character at the moment. She is really fast and I have a few nice things goin together too. still struggling to get used to the stick though. I think its because of the square hole it is in. only sometimes will the charge moves with the likes of Bison or blanka come off. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

my left thumb really, really hurts thanks to that stupid ps3 pad.

and +1 for Sakura. she rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Yes but I'm holding out for the PC version.
    Roar wrote: »
    my left thumb really, really hurts thanks to that stupid ps3 pad.

Mine too. I've switched to the analogue stick and as ****ty as it is, I have at least managed to finish the game with Ryu and Ken with it. However, I'm getting my ass handed to me online.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

evad_lhorg wrote:
    Sakura is my choice of character at the moment. She is really fast and I have a few nice things goin together too. still struggling to get used to the stick though. I think its because of the square hole it is in. only sometimes will the charge moves with the likes of Bison or blanka come off.
    What stick you got?
    Might be possible to put an 8-way or circular gate in it (I've got 1 or 2 8-ways spare, too).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,766 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Tusky wrote: »
    I only played this for a couple of minutes. My first thoughts are - why on earth didnt someone on the development team stand up and say "ehhh, this music is ****" ? ITS AWFUL. I had to lower the volume down immediately. Almost as bad as Pro Evo music.

Please tell me this isnt it?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGEWCAzTFNo&feature=related

Its a cross between fall out boy and pokemon gotta catch em all!

You could like this if it pissed someone off more than it pissed you off, thats how I came to like that soulja boy sh'ite song cas my mate goes spare when he hears it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ow, my freakin' ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Trilla wrote: »

You could like this if it pissed someone off more than it pissed you off, thats how I came to like that soulja boy sh'ite song cas my mate goes spare when he hears it.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but yes. That N-Sync like song is the title theme, and the constant menu music. :eek::eek::(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Yup. Absolutely grade A turd.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

*shudder* yeah thats it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

quad_red wrote: »
    Yup. Absolutely grade A turd.

I can feel it coming over me........................

What a tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

The menu music on hd remix is a million times better

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

In all honesty, was anyone expecting decent music and cut scenes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

The OC remix is better

I hate these ppl using Akuma just cause of that stupid Ultra he has !
    Basically if your winning, and you have near half health..they will have Ultra at that stage..and if you get done by it your dead. It hard to block too...i've only managed it once so far...and that was in the 3rd round of tryin to get 5 rank wins in a row. Fluke

Have come accross some interesting tactics so far though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I hate these ppl using Akuma just cause of that stupid Ultra he has !
    Basically if your winning, and you have near half health..they will have Ultra at that stage..and if you get done by it your dead. It hard to block too...i've only managed it once so far...and that was in the 3rd round of tryin to get 5 rank wins in a row. Fluke

Have come accross some interesting tactics so far though :)

It is unblockable, what you have to do is jump straight up if you see it. There is some nice setups for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    What stick you got?
    Might be possible to put an 8-way or circular gate in it (I've got 1 or 2 8-ways spare, too).

I have the tournament edition mad catz stick. Ill keep with it for the moment anyway and see how I get on. could just be because Im new to sticks in general.

TheWitch06 wrote: »
    It is unblockable, what you have to do is jump straight up if you see it. There is some nice setups for it though.

Maybe theyll take it out with a patch,.....i can see me joinin the crowd for the simple fact he is overpowered

I managed only to counter it by jumping back and kicking him in the mush. But that was fluke :P

Bah, it's Akuma.
    Let him have his toys while we dizzy him all day & night.

@evad_lhorg: yes, practice. A lot.
    This game needs lots of practice :-/

But if you still don't like it, I can mod that JLF for you; only takes an hour or less.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Maybe theyll take it out with a patch,.....i can see me joinin the crowd for the simple fact he is overpowered

I managed only to counter it by jumping back and kicking him in the mush. But that was fluke :P

He may do damage but, he takes alot of damage. He has a really ****ty health bar so that makes up for his power I guess.

I don't see anything wrong with his ultra, It's not that good. Vipers ultra is better imo, she can cancel her ultra from her normals, only other char who can do that is Blanka. She can do her ultra after Ex Seismo when done close to your opponent and after a Burning Kick or Seismo into HJC into Burning Kick in the corner.

Oh and guess what? Viper takes the most damage in the game so that's what she gets for being a b*tch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Seriously , all you have to do is press up. All the noobie akumas out there who don't even know how to demon flip just base their whole game around the raging demon. Pressing up will better them every time.

Unless they're actually decent and timed it right. (while your doing a low sweep, just after you wiffed a move, or teleported behind you and did it)

I only unlocked akuma today but been having great fun with him since he's a little like 3s akuma. Had a really close match with a cammy player, she missed me with her ultra, and I did the demon as she hit the ground, and she STILL could jump up and dodge it.

You just gotta get used to tapping up the second you see it coming. A lot of new people are just holding back when they see it.

I wish he had a different super or ultra, instead of just TWO demons. I miss his other stuff from 3s :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I spent nearly 2 hours last night trying to beat Seth on the easiest setting with C. Viper. I had to give up as it was getting too late. Nearly drove me mad. Nearly evey time he dragged me in he hit me with either a dragon punch to counter what ever move I did or a spinning piledriver if I tried to block.

And if I did manage to get a nice volley of hits against him he'd negate it with that cheap ultra move.

I found he is quite beatable with any character that has the shoto style moves (ryu,ken,sakura even sagat) but others were very annoying.

I've NEVER had to put an SF game on to its easiest setting before. NEVER! And I've being playing it since '92.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

TheWitch06 wrote: »
    He may do damage but, he takes alot of damage. He has a really ****ty health bar so that makes up for his power I guess.

I don't see anything wrong with his ultra, It's not that good. Vipers ultra is better imo, she can cancel her ultra from her normals, only other char who can do that is Blanka. She can do her ultra after Ex Seismo when done close to your opponent and after a Burning Kick or Seismo into HJC into Burning Kick in the corner.

Oh and guess what? Viper takes the most damage in the game so that's what she gets for being a b*tch.

As The Witch said, he has a small stun bar and takes damage more than most of the characters so you wouldn't want to be in the habit of making mistakes when playing him.

His Super/Ultras is very easy to avoid with a simple jump and if you time it right, you can set him up with your own ultra.

Seth is just rediculous. I'm wondering how new SF players are going to get past him. Round 1 is very easy, but if you win that he becomes the cheapest character in SF history. That's my main gripe about the game. He personifies everything that is bad about a final boss. Poor character design, copies others fighters moves, can predict your moves, can throw you out of your moves. Very annoying. I would consider myself a better than average player, but I had to continue 13 times with C. Viper on normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

I spent nearly 2 hours last night trying to beat Seth on the easiest setting with C. Viper. I had to give up as it was getting too late. Nearly drove me mad. Nearly evey time he dragged me in he hit me with either a dragon punch to counter what ever move I did or a spinning piledriver if I tried to block.

And if I did manage to get a nice volley of hits against him he'd negate it with that cheap ultra move.

I found he is quite beatable with any character that has the shoto style moves (ryu,ken,sakura even sagat) but others were very annoying.

I've NEVER had to put an SF game on to its easiest setting before. NEVER! And I've being playing it since '92.

Trust me, ive been playing since 92 aswell, and seth is just an utter, utter ******* bastard. I think the difficulties are really screwed up. Easiest difficulty is the only one thats really fun, gives you enough of a challenge yet never really punishes you. Very Easy difficulty is more of a challenge and seth is now much harder to beat, and IMO Easy difficulty is more like Hard.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    As The Witch said, he has a small stun bar and takes damage more than most of the characters so you wouldn't want to be in the habit of making mistakes when playing him.

His Super/Ultras is very easy to avoid with a simple jump and if you time it right, you can set him up with your own ultra.

Seth is just rediculous. I'm wondering how new SF players are going to get past him. Round 1 is very easy, but if you win that he becomes the cheapest character in SF history. That's my main gripe about the game. He personifies everything that is bad about a final boss. Poor character design, copies others fighters moves, can predict your moves, can throw you out of your moves. Very annoying. I would consider myself a better than average player, but I had to continue 13 times with C. Viper on normal.

Akuma can be annoying to play against, his air fireball makes him a great turtle, that can be annoying but with all shoto's, whiffed Shoryuken's = death for them, so make them do reversals after successful knockdowns.
    Focus attacks eat Shoryu's [not Ex Shoryu] as far as i know, Tatsumaki's have armor break properties but you don't want to eat a Tatsu from Akuma, Tatsu into Shoryu does damage. I'm sure you can Focus then dash cancel back when you see a Tatsu and punish it anyway.

The thing with Seth is he has everything for any situation. He has a command throw which will beat out your normals after he teleports beside you. He has a projectile, QCF+P Sonic Boom?! WTF were they thinking?! A Urien from 3S style Focus Attack which has nice range. That annoying Dhalsim HP move. A Gen style wall jump. A Shoryu that does 3 hits? Oh and his Ultra that goes full screen.

But in saying all that, he is unsafe most of the time. He will throw out that QCB+K move, the one with the invisible lightning legs (?) punish that with cr. mk into shoryu for example. He likes to jump in from full screen when he gets tired of throwing projectiles, AA him with Shoryu. Basically block low alot, he will suck you in and usually try a cr. mk link into his shoryu so punish that or throw out an Ultra if you have one. Oh and don't forget to use Ex's against him ALOT. Chars like Chun, Abel can go through his projectiles with their Ultra which is good too.

With Viper, he eats jab Thunder Knuckle, so link that from cr. mk or mp and repeat the jab version as it has armor break properties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Out of the new characters I like C.Viper (although I can't play her) and El Fuerte is AMAZING fun even if he is a bit on the weak side.

If you're used to Ken/Ryu then try Sakura, she's similar style but is quick and feels fresh.

I actually had the hardest time beating Seth when playing as Sakura, which was pretty damn annoying as she was the last character I had to complete the game as before I would be able to unlock Akuma... Ended up giving up, then coming back the next morning and trouncing him first time:confused:
    She's quite good, but way too weak... Ever her powered up heavy hadoken does sweet FA damage

tman wrote: »
    I actually had the hardest time beating Seth when playing as Sakura, which was pretty damn annoying as she was the last character I had to complete the game as before I would be able to unlock Akuma... Ended up giving up, then coming back the next morning and trouncing him first time:confused:
    She's quite good, but way too weak... Ever her powered up heavy hadoken does sweet FA damage
    Sakura's always been like that -- her power lies in Shou-ouken (Jab SRK -> Strong SRK, IIRC Jab SRK -> Ultra works too) and her Tatsumaki.

Still have to play around with her, I hate her links though (can't seem to combo half the stuff in training mode even :(

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Sakura's always been like that -- her power lies in Shou-ouken (Jab SRK -> Strong SRK, IIRC Jab SRK -> Ultra works too) and her Tatsumaki.

Still have to play around with her, I hate her links though (can't seem to combo half the stuff in training mode even :(

Links are different in this game. The timing seems stricter.

You can do cr. short x2, cr. forward, fierce srk by the way. :) Hard to link it though.

Oh, and you can do ultra after jab srk?! I thought it was just after Ex Tatsu. Must try it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

tman wrote: »

I actually had an easy time with Seth using Sakura. I beat him first time with out much trouble. Maybe it was a fluke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Ok so picked this up yesterday and played a few hours last night. The last beat em up I played was about 10 years ago, so to say that I sucked ass initially is an understatement. After bout 90 mins of getting raped, I got my bearings (playing with Ryu). Started arcade mode on Medium and after just over an hour of play (with some online games in between), I had beaten Seth. Took me about 9 - 10 attempts mind.

I found a strange pattern with EVERY fight against Seth. I always won the first round handy, only to get cracked open by his ultra amongst others in the 2nd or 3rd round. Anyone else get the same pattern?

Looking forward to playing some more later, and branch out to some other characters.

Advertisement