Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dance Dance Revolution and other dance related Rhythm Games

Options
  • 14-02-2009 12:06am
    Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭

Not that I own or play it, but I like to give it a go when I go to the arcade. It's certainly a good laugh, as long as you don't have self esteem issues:D

I'd like to be good at the game, it is very tough though, especially when the price of failure is actual money. I think I may buy it. I have mastered GH and RB after all :P (implied modesty)

Anyone here play any other dancing games?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Cully

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Not that I own or play it, but I like to give it a go when I go to the arcade. It's certainly a good laugh, as long as you don't have self esteem issues:D

I'd like to be good at the game, it is very tough though, especially when the price of failure is actual money. I think I may buy it. I have mastered GH and RB after all :P (implied modesty)

Anyone here play any other dancing games?

Yes... I play DDR, ITG, PIU, 3DDX, EZ2Dancer, and many others at the top level.

and that's only the feet based games :P

Do you play in Dublin at all? maybe we could meet up.

I've recently been playing these games in Beijing with some friends I have there... awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Good to see you're back Cully :)

I started playing DDR over the summer,not great at it but it's quite fun.
    I was thinking of buying a pad myself but I don;t have a clue what to go for,can you get anything decent for between €100-200? I might end up getting one if I don't buy some goodwoods for my rock band drums.

EDIT: Btw,Cully is scary on DDR and ITG. Especially ITG since he showed these things called "courses".

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Like I said, I'm but an amateur, Mr. Cully. What would you recommend as a first purchase? I like all the way on the other side of the country, but maybe during the summer some time we could give it a go? All we have in Ennis is a very old DDR machine. It does the job.

On a slightyly off topic note=
    I might end up getting one if I don't buy some goodwoods for my rock band drums.

Mmmm... goodwoods... Do you have the destroyer pedal?

Like I said, I'm but an amateur, Mr. Cully. What would you recommend as a first purchase? I like all the way on the other side of the country, but maybe during the summer some time we could give it a go? All we have in Ennis is a very old DDR machine. It does the job.

On a slightyly off topic note=

Mmmm... goodwoods... Do you have the destroyer pedal?

Just the stock rb1 kit that is terrible,the yellow and green arent sensitive enough and the blue overhits. I was going to buy one of those pedals off Cully a while ago but it's no use having a pedal if my drums still suck :D

(replied to you in "Drums and GHWT)

• Advertisement

I started playing DDR over the summer,not great at it but it's quite fun.
    I was thinking of buying a pad myself but I don;t have a clue what to go for,can you get anything decent for between €100-200?

Not really no... There's something called a Cobalt Flux that you can buy for a few hundred... it has NO BAR, but works as good as a home mat can. There is something with a bar called a TX6000 (or probably bigger number now) which is the best bar version.

To both of you... I wouldn't recommend a home kit... DDR is not really a game you can buy for home and just get good at. I would recommend maybe downloading stepmania and playing on that... it'll get you nice and fast at reading arrows and hitting stuff... That part you should both get good at nice and fast because of GH and RB.

The only thing I can really recommend for DDR is to actually find a machine and play on it... I know you don't wanna hear that, but I've had a cobalt flux for many years and I've rarely used it... it's nothing like the arcade. Come to Dublin if you're not already, and we can organise a meet up.. Going to the arcade with some friends and playing some games is the best way to learn.. especially if some of those people are experienced in playing.
    EDIT: Btw,Cully is scary on DDR and ITG. Especially ITG since he showed these things called "courses".

lol.. Not really... I showed you a stepmania "finger" version... but I did have the highest score on that wierd course in all of London for a long long time... Also, Adder and Myself are renowned for being able to "mess" while playing.. Which means spinning, knee drops, hand plants, and stupid other stuff :P Not a lot of people can do that to our level... although Adder makes it look easier.

I'm good for a meetup anytime soon. :/

I'm free all week if anyone is planning on going to the arcade.

Damn ye and ye're functioning city! Damn ye to oblivion! I'll look into Stepmania, thank you very much Cully

*Trans-County 5!*

How about Tue Evening or Wed? Which suits you better? I'll ask some others if they can come...
    Damn ye and ye're functioning city! Damn ye to oblivion! I'll look into Stepmania, thank you very much Cully

*Trans-County 5!*

functioning? lol.... Where are you anyway? Galway used to have the most awesome 5th Mix... I wish I had access to that bad boy!

From Co. Clare, going to college in Limerick...

• Advertisement

From Co. Clare, going to college in Limerick...

Oooh.. Bad Luck when it comes to DDR... Well... Get stepmania and get awesome arrow reading skills, and go jogging so you have the fitness for high end play.

Maybe when you come over, you will be able to play high level stuff :D

The only thing that keeps me playing is meetups with friends... I wouldn't play that game by myself... too boring :/

We have a really old machine in Clare, which is fun to play with, but only one of my friends has the self confidence to make a fool of himself with me. :)

Ooo, do ye have a drummania machine in Dublin? That'd be class!

EDIT: oh, and I got stepmania there, just tracking down songs

We have a really old machine in Clare, which is fun to play with, but only one of my friends has the self confidence to make a fool of himself with me. :)

Ooo, do ye have a drummania machine in Dublin? That'd be class!

EDIT: oh, and I got stepmania there, just tracking down songs

Old Machines are not necessarily bad... Do you know what version it is? Maybe I could drive over there some weekend if you weren't working...

We don't have a drummania machine in Ireland as far as I know.... I do have all the versions for PS2 and I'm pretty sure I can connect it to my roland without too much hassle... I'll look into that.

Drummania sucks a bit in the way that it's forced on Right-Handed... Sucks for me as all the rolls and stuff force you to start on your right hand as lead... which will mess me up in every single song :(

I played a ton of Drummania 11 in BeiJing.... with Neil Peart Drumsticks.. aw jeah!

:eek:

I hope you didn't wash your hands since!! I think it's DDR3 European Edition. All the songs are pretty hilariously bad!

:eek:

I hope you didn't wash your hands since!! I think it's DDR3 European Edition. All the songs are pretty hilariously bad!

WHOA? WTF is DDR3? As far as I know, there is NO DDR in europe apart from imported ones.

If it's european, then it'll be called DANCING STAGE or something.

Could it be one of these....?

Dance Stage Euromix 1,
    Dance Stage Euromix 2,
    Dancing Stage Fusion
    Dance Stage Supernova
    Dance Stage Supernova 2

Any idea what colour it was?

APOLOGIES! I go to that place maybe once every two months, usually to bowl. I think it's one of the "Dance Stage Euromix" ones...

Orange perhaps?

Go to DDRUK for song packs,you need to register but its free.

Go to DDRUK for song packs,you need to register but its free.

DDRUK.com

and post in the ireland area.. it's gone a little dead :(

Sucks how places die when I'm gone...

How about Tue Evening or Wed? Which suits you better? I'll ask some others if they can come...

Cully wrote: »
    DDRUK.com

and post in the ireland area.. it's gone a little dead :(

Sucks how places die when I'm gone...

If by tuesday you mean tomorrow then I might be able. I was supposed to be seeing rise against but my friend backed out at the last minute.

My friend is playing support for them!

• Advertisement

If by tuesday you mean tomorrow then I might be able. I was supposed to be seeing rise against but my friend backed out at the last minute.

Cool.. I'll phone you later... I work till 5:30pm and then I'm free.

How did the meet go lads? I've been boning up my skills in stepmania. I'm on the red difficulty for most, and the green for a few. It's good fun and helpful, thanks for that recommendation!

Green? Red? wtf does that mean... People generally rate difficulty in "feet".. You can see how many when you are choosing the song.

Meet went fine.. I really sucked on DDR compared to how I would normally play.. Haven't played in ages and I had some bad news that day so my head wasn't right :P [/excuses]

Once you get to a stage where you can pass messed up stuff on stepmania... then all it takes is a little practise to get the technique down with feet.. then a LOT of practise to get the fitness level up.. hehe

Ha, sorry. Usually about 6 or 7 feet I'd say difficulty wise? Yeah I still look at some sequences and think... :eek: Y'know?

And my fitness levels are below, below par...

hehe... Well once you can figure out all the arrows, then it's just fitness for the rest.. and god damn you need a hell of a lot of fitness and stamina to pass level 12's and 13's on ITG..... :D

Went to the "arcade" (if you can call it that), and played a few rounds of DDR. It went ok. Some people kind of stopped to watch for a second and then pissed off again. In case you were wondering it's "Dance Dance Revolution 5th mix" or something along those lines

Went to the "arcade" (if you can call it that), and played a few rounds of DDR. It went ok. Some people kind of stopped to watch for a second and then pissed off again. In case you were wondering it's "Dance Dance Revolution 5th mix" or something along those lines

ARGH 5th mix is awesome! (and old)... it has a wierd high score way though :/ Can you describe where it is? maybe I can go there sometime... that machine is so awesome. Were all the pads working?

5th mixes are quite rare...

Certianly. Well I think all the pads were working, I was too busy trying not to fail (failed at that). It's in Ennis in Clare. It's in a leisure centre with bowling and stuff. It's on Showgrounds road. If you got as far as Ennis people could point you to it... Is there a way to speed up the course in arcades like you can in stepmania?

Is there a way to speed up the course in arcades like you can in stepmania?

I don't think so on 5th mix... I'll see if I can find it anywhere..

On the ps2 version you can..

• Advertisement

I've been practising using the floor, a chair (for bar) and jukebox mode. It's oh so very tiring, and I got a blister!

Advertisement