Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gatso Van in Waterford

• 14-02-2009 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just a heads up to the innocent folk driving the ring roads of Waterford. The 'ole gatso van was out and about doing it's tricks on the ring road just down by the six cross roads today. This one is a 08-D High roof white transit van, it was parked up in one of the lay-by/bus stop types along the ring road.

Keep an eye out as it will no doubt be roaming the roads of Waterford over the coming weeks.

Safe motoring :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

What is this about just out of curiosity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

After a google, it seems to be a van with a speed camera on it/in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Good to see they are making sure people are not speeding on a dangerous road with a high speed limit again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Meant to post this actually. Spotted it in ferrybank last saturday morning. parked in the middle of the road near jurys hotel, facing towards town.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Flyer1 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Just a heads up to the innocent folk driving the ring roads of Waterford. The 'ole gatso van was out and about doing it's tricks on the ring road just down by the six cross roads today. This one is a 08-D High roof white transit van, it was parked up in one of the lay-by/bus stop types along the ring road.

Keep an eye out as it will no doubt be roaming the roads of Waterford over the coming weeks.

Safe motoring :)

What time were they out there? Because I drive that road to and from work every day and have only seen them once. I work 3 shift cycle so that may be why but I wonder do they only check at busy times etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Same one was out by the old cattle mart on the old Kilmeaden rd this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Raise the speed limit to 80!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

60 as a speed limit on a dual carriageway is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

It was about lunchtime when they were on it...

It's an absolute disgrace of a speed limit for the road anyway. It needs to be 80. Even letting the car freewheel down that stretch is enough to break the speed limit....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

its 60 for a reason lads,ya have to accept it or put the time on your watch or mobile forward a bit :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

its 60 for a reason lads

Which is...?

1learner drivers,2 some of the roads around ya want to be mental to do 60 on them haha,3 ya have a beter survival chance of walking away at 60 than 80 unless your a pedestrian and your hit by a car and you have the reflexes of superman batman to just fluke getting out of the way ect,4 someboaady needs you in thre life,5 ur saving the planet,the list is exhaustive yeno and with this recession period were all going thru yar going to cut corners keepig the car on the road til u can nct it and in most honest straight tinking heads ya get a better heap of junk cause its cheaper in the long run of tings ;)

1learner drivers,2 some of the roads around ya want to be mental to do 60 on them haha,3 ya have a beter survival chance of walking away at 60 than 80 unless your a pedestrian and your hit by a car and you have the reflexes of superman batman to just fluke getting out of the way ect,4 someboaady needs you in thre life,5 ur saving the planet,the list is exhaustive yeno

I actually don't think it's got anything to do with any of the above things. It's to do with where it's located - I think it's classed as being inside the city environs or something like that. It's like when you're going into Lemybrien or one of those places, it goes from 100/80 down to 60 for a while, then 50. Where the link road is one of the 60 zones.

I wonder what the cops let people away with. I don't know anybody who's been done out there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

mike65 wrote: »
    Raise the speed limit to 80!

Speaking of which, I was told that the Young Fine Gael branch in Waterford did a big campaign to increase the speed limit and apparently its being considered. Im told it was in local press which I dont read very much. No news as of last week anyway as to how thats going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I remember a certain councillor on wlr defending why it's 60 speed limit yet I've seen the same woman exceeding the speed limit on the Dunmore Road.

Sully wrote: »
    Speaking of which, I was told that the Young Fine Gael branch in Waterford did a big campaign to increase the speed limit and apparently its being considered. Im told it was in local press which I dont read very much. No news as of last week anyway as to how thats going.

Haven't heard about that but I know it was raised when the road first opened. It was put to the planners or whoever decides these things by the council, or council members, and I think they said it was from national guidelines and that they'd leave themselves open to big problems if they were to change it. I'm completely open to being proved wrong on this though!
    deisemum wrote: »
    I remember a certain councillor on wlr defending why it's 60 speed limit yet I've seen the same woman exceeding the speed limit on the Dunmore Road.

Lol. One of two so!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Haven't heard about that but I know it was raised when the road first opened. It was put to the planners or whoever decides these things by the council, or council members, and I think they said it was from national guidelines and that they'd leave themselves open to big problems if they were to change it. I'm completely open to being proved wrong on this though!

Sure if I see the person who said it to me, ill ask exactly what they did and what the results were. :)

Sully wrote: »
    Speaking of which, I was told that the Young Fine Gael branch in Waterford did a big campaign to increase the speed limit and apparently its being considered. Im told it was in local press which I dont read very much. No news as of last week anyway as to how thats going ((( if only we all lived in the real world tho init haha ;)

( if only we all lived in the real world tho init haha ;)

What?

do ya tink fg learner permits are going to last haha it makes sense like but enda hasnt got the cattle prod jus yet and even with the powers that be we wnt have culen to inspect d overal result ,,, wot kinda sistuation is dat ???

• Advertisement

and i knoe off topic but if u see the gatso brick it frm a safe dstance ,them cameras have a good zoom on them now lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

nkay1985 wrote: »

I wonder what the cops let people away with. I don't know anybody who's been done out there.

My mother in law got caught exceeding the speed limit on the outer ring road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

deisemum wrote: »
    My mother in law got caught exceeding the speed limit on the outer ring road.
    ah the mother in law. Did ya rat on her lol

do ya tink fg learner permits are going to last haha it makes sense like but enda hasnt got the cattle prod jus yet and even with the powers that be we wnt have culen to inspect d overal result ,,, wotb kinda sistuation is dat ???

If I only knew what the hell you were on about....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

do ya tink fg learner permits are going to last haha it makes sense like but enda hasnt got the cattle prod jus yet and even with the powers that be we wnt have culen to inspect d overal result ,,, wot kinda sistuation is dat ???
    and i knoe off topic but if u see the gatso brick it frm a safe dstance ,them cameras have a good zoom on them now lol

Is this a new language?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

1learner drivers,2 some of the roads around ya want to be mental to do 60 on them haha,3 ya have a beter survival chance of walking away at 60 than 80 unless your a pedestrian and your hit by a car and you have the reflexes of superman batman to just fluke getting out of the way ect,4 someboaady needs you in thre life,5 ur saving the planet,the list is exhaustive yeno and with this recession period were all going thru yar going to cut corners keepig the car on the road til u can nct it and in most honest straight tinking heads ya get a better heap of junk cause its cheaper in the long run of tings ;)
    Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Is this a new language?

yar?? are you a pirate? is this pirate speak matey? avast ye scurvy briggands, there be treasure a harr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Travel the Kilkenny ring road most days myself and I can tell you that even with a 100kph limit on it , the traffic somehow manages to remain accident free:D

Like the Waterford ORR, the Kilkenny version is also full of roundabouts at short intervals and is only single carraigeway. The Waterford situation is a nonsense, no wonder the Govt revenue generating vans are out in force on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Multivan

lads i live near the 6 cross roads and every night nearly theres some amount of racing going on, on those roads ye wouldnt believe it like,

Ye can hear the engines screaming from a way off like thats near every night and im sure the guards have gotten wind of this thats prob why they were out there.

As for the speed limit while its 60 we should keep to 60, i just cant believe the amount of drivers who shoot down that road mid day, ive seen the guards out there too that past month with speed cameras over the railings like.

alpha2zulu makes the point perfectly, the two RRs are pretty much interchangable yet a 40 kp/h difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

Good to see they are making sure people are not speeding on a dangerous road with a high speed limit again

you think 60kph is a high speed limit of a 4 lane road?

thank god you've no control over speed limits:rolleyes:

as mentioned below the ring road in kilkenny is 100kph and I haven't heard of any major accidents on it? Amazing that considering people can travel at a faster speed and people don't get frustrated sitting at 60kph

Advertisement