Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gatso Van in Waterford

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

wel this is 4 all who critised me on this thread SWISS CHEESE to ye all ,i hope u like driving through knder beauno filled walls with cream egg filling wen u crash,if i had d fist to hit ye all wit,cop on wwould be written all over it,no respect too those who dont show it.proper fukin order............ rules of the road may need improve improvement but tink of the next persson behind or in front of you
    384e.gifdunno.gifemoclosemouth.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Theres a little piece on the gatso van in this weeks "Munster Express", apparently "People are advised that the vehicle (gatso van) operates predominantly in identified collision prone zones across the south east"....

Somehow, the ORR just doesent come to mind as a collision prone zone:rolleyes: What a load of tut.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Pity someone wouldn't give the GATSO van a tap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

Bards wrote: »
    Care to translate into English??????
    keep on rockin in the free world :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

Well if you're doing 100mph anywhere you deserve to get caught.
    not unless ur a superhero lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stan Nangle

flan59 wrote: »
    Not to do with the GATSO, but I was travelling on the ring road last night and a guy came beside me at the Johns Park roundabout and went straight on, as a lot of drivers do. Squad car was coming out of Johns Park and followed him up the road lights flashing siren sounding, pulled him in below the Golf Course. Pity they are not on the road more often, it sickens me the way drivers ignore arrows on the road

This is another example of Waterford City Council making up their own rules of the road.

Everywhere else in the world both lanes would be straight ahead. (Sallypark onto the Bridge being a special case)

Would be interesting to find out if they have done this with a by-law, or if they just painted the arrows for the hell of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Keith Winters

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    Theres a little piece on the gatso van in this weeks "Munster Express", apparently "People are advised that the vehicle (gatso van) operates predominantly in identified collision prone zones across the south east"....

Somehow, the ORR just doesent come to mind as a collision prone zone:rolleyes: What a load of tut.

I wonder has there been any collisions of significance on the road at all. I'd seriously doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Got caught out that way last year doing a bit over :mad:

Just a reminder about the GATSO van. They don't flash, they have new IR flashes, so you have no way of knowing if you were caught or not and it can take anything up to 3 months to receive notice in the post.

Depending on how they are set (ie will they do you for doing 51 in a 50 (probably not)) you could easily rack up a few points without even noticing. You mightn't even see the van!

It's not just Waterford they're clamping down in. Loads of speed traps lately in Galway.

I was driving Westbound on the N6* across Galway City at night about 6 weeks back and there was a van hidden in the bushes with just its arse sticking out. There were 4 other cars around me and a flash seemed to come out of the back window as we were passing - of course this caused people to jam on their brakes nearly causing an accident.

Is 3 months the absolute maximum time it cane take for a fine to come? I was pulled over by the Gardai for speeding once before and the fine came within a month. I thought I might have been in the clear for the time I passed the Gatso van 6 weeks ago because there hasn't been any sign of a fine in the post yet. After reading your post I'm worried again that I could still get one :(

BTW, are all gatso vans 08-D registrations?

* A wide, gently curving, well lit 4-laned road. It only has a 50kmh limit which is a complete joke. It's perfectly safe to do 100kmh on that road, but I'd gladly settle for them raising the limit to 80kmh.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

KevR wrote: »
    Is 3 months the absolute maximum time it cane take for a fine to come?

Nope they have up to six months.

Nope they have up to six months.

That's not very fair for the motorist. You could be going around for 6 months totally unaware that you have received penalty points. Don't see how they could need that long to issue a bloody fine; it should really only take a few weeks maximum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

KevR wrote: »
    That's not very fair for the motorist. You could be going around for 6 months totally unaware that you have received penalty points. Don't see how they could need that long to issue a bloody fine; it should really only take a few weeks maximum.

I couldn't agree more. I have two still pending. One is nearly up and the other is only gone three months. I deserved to get caught each time (once on the ring road) and I have no problem taking the points but not six months after the offence.

I couldn't agree more. I have two still pending. One is nearly up and the other is only gone three months. I deserved to get caught each time (once on the ring road) and I have no problem taking the points but not six months after the offence.

I know what you mean. If you only receive the fine 6 months after the offence it will be 42 months from the date of the offence to when the points clear from your licence.

I have 2 points for definite (fine came in the post and I paid it) but I'd like to know where I stand with regards the gatso van that I passed.

I was doing 60kmh in a 50kmh zone but it's widely rumoured that the Gardai will let people away with 60kmh on that road. Also, it only seemed to flash (I don't think I imagined the flash but who knows haha) once and there were 5 cars passing at the same time - I'd like to think the car in the right hand lane who was going slightly faster than 60kmh will be the person to get the fine and not me (a bit selfish because I wouldn't class his speed as 'speeding' or dangerous - I just really don't want anymore fines or points).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

nkay1985 wrote: »
    It's to do with where it's located - I think it's classed as being inside the city environs or something like that.

The above is what I posted in this thread. I asked my dad (Cllr. Joe Kelly) about it last night as it had been bugging me. He confirmed what i said above. It's classed as an inner city motorway and that's why they had to set it to what they did. Hopefully their position will have changed and this new proposal will be approved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

The above is what I posted in this thread. I asked my dad (Cllr. Joe Kelly) about it last night as it had been bugging me. He confirmed what i said above. It's classed as an inner city motorway and that's why they had to set it to what they did. Hopefully their position will have changed and this new proposal will be approved.

What a load of Cr*p and Bullsh*t. I will not be voting for any councillor who does not support the implementation of an appropiate speed limit on the Outer Ring Road come June. They have the Power - Use it or Loose it

An inappropiate speed limit is a speed that is set too high or too low for the road in question, thus causing unsafe driving and can cause deaths.

tell him to ask his other SF councillor friend who lives in kilkenny but sits on Waterford City Council about how their ring road has a speed limit of 100 Km/h!!!!!!!!!

With the greatest respect to your Dad, the City Councillors have been fed numerous lines of bullsh*t by the Council Officials on this topic. I was on radio about this years ago and (If I Remember Correctly) your Dad texted in to say that the Councillors could not raise the limit because (Officials told them) they would be personally liable if there was an accident.

This is complete bunkum!

Here is some of the debate from the time the 2004 Road Traffic Act was getting its second reading in November 2004.
    If I understand the legislation correctly, the definition of a built-up area is confined to a city, borough or town within the context of the Local Government Act of 2001. As a result, the three county councils in the greater Dublin area fall outside the definition of a built-up area despite being as built-up as one will find. I am sure the area beyond the city limits of Waterford is still densely populated given that cities spill over into adjoining counties. A problem will arise if a default speed limit no longer applies at a city boundary because local authorities will have to erect signage at the boundary of every road leaving a city or town.
    The default limit of 80 kph, which will apply outside built-up areas, is inappropriate in most urban areas. Local authorities will be faced with a proliferation of signage as a result of by-laws showing special speed limits. Will these speed limits be consistent at the points at which counties join or on different roads? Would it not be preferable to make provision in the legislation to allow local authorities to determine what are built-up areas and, consequently, the points at which the built-up area default system ends?

The local authorities do not have to make new by-laws. The signs are ordered. The root of the problem is that many regional roads are similar to dual carriageways, a matter many Deputies have raised with me. I found it difficult to differentiate such roads for the purposes of the primary legislation and, for this reason, was forced to leave the matter to local authorities to decide. They have the power to make changes on regional roads on which stretches of dual carriageway have opened if they so wish. I could not make changes centrally.

Waterford City Council Officials have made up their minds to have an unrealistically low speed limit on that road. For some unbeknownst reason they refuse to see sense.

Hopefully the new Council will put manners on them and force them to obey the Law and put sensible limits on the road.

tell him to ask his other SF councillor friend who lives in kilkenny but sits on Waterford City Council about how their ring road has a speed limit of 100 Km/h!!!!!!!!!
    The Kilkenny Ring Road is a National Road, whereas the Waterford ORR is a Regional Road.

Also, unless I am very mistaken, the Kilkenny Ring Road is in the County, whereas most of the ORR is in Waterford City and, under Minister Cullen's legislation, is considered to be a "Built Up Area".

Three miles through open countryside, but legally it is a "Built Up Area".

Go figure! :roll:

The Kilkenny Ring Road is a National Road, whereas the Waterford ORR is a Regional Road.

Also, unless I am very mistaken, the Kilkenny Ring Road is in the County, whereas most of the ORR is in Waterford City and, under Minister Cullen's legislation, is considered to be an "Urban Road".

Three miles through open countryside, but legally it is an "Urban Road".

Go figure! :roll:

Clonmel Bypass is a national road and has a limit of 60 Km/h so is the dungarvan ring road, so how come Kilkenny got special treatment???

in any event the City Council have the power to set approiate speed restricitions in their administrative area.

Clonmel Bypass is a national road and has a limit of 60 Km/h so is the dungarvan ring road, so how come Kilkenny got special treatment???

in any event the City Council have the power to set approiate speed restricitions in their administrative area.

Both Clonmel and Dungarvan bypasses are within the respective UDC areas and are considered to be "built up areas" by default (which is correct in both those cases).

The Waterford ORR is legally defined in the 2004 Act as a Built Up Area even though it runs through open countryside.

City Council Officials feed the Councillors a line of BS whenever a Councillor raises the issue. The line that seemed to shut them up once and for all was the nonsense that they (the Councillors) could be held personally liable if they set a higher limit and then there was an accident.

Total utter and complete (insert your expletive of choice)!

What you have said sounds like a perfectly reasonable explanation to me Stan.

I was merely pointing out what the councillors were told when the issue was raised. And if you can't believe the people who are supposedly the authority on these things, then who can you!

Hopefully once the information, such as that which you're presented, is put before them, they won't have any excuses to fall back on. I drive this road at least twice a day so I want it changed as much as the next person!
    I will not be voting for any councillor who does not support the implementation of an appropiate speed limit on the Outer Ring Road come June.

Firstly, my dad (and other councillors if I remember correctly) obviously did support this - why else would he have raised it!!!

With regard to the part in bold, this debate has been had more than once, so I won't enter into it again.

And, with regard to the point about KK ring road, I think Stan has put you firmly in your box there :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Seems the gatso revenue van is making a reappearance,
    An 09 reg white transit was parked outside the Waterford Crystal pool on the Cork Road yesterday evening:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    Seems the gatso revenue van is making a reappearance,
    An 09 reg white transit was parked outside the Waterford Crystal pool on the Cork Road yesterday evening:rolleyes:
    I wouldn't have a problem with them sitting outside there. I've seen a few near misses there over the years with people going to/from the swimming pool and/or the graveyard.

The ORR and the Old Kilmeaden Road/Carrickpherish is a different matter. That is just a bureaucrat in City Hall on a powertrip. A friend of mine saw a tractor pulled over for speeding in carrickpherish (50k zone, tractor had a 60k gearbox)

When the City candidates come to your door, ask them why they support such a blatantly idiotic speed limit. The background to the legalities is on the page I linked to upthread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Multivan

They were out on the outer ring road there last week just before the six cross roads heading in the tesco direction

Before Six Cross Roads? Where were they parked up? Down the bottom of the hill somewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

have come across the gatso twice on the new ross- waterford main road

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

They were parked up in the Top garage in Ferrybank 3 nights in a row last week. I past each night at 10.10 and they were inside the wall of the garage just where the car wash is. They were parked with the back of the van facing back up towards ferrybank.

When the City candidates come to your door, ask them why they support such a blatantly idiotic speed limit.

already did to two of them, answer was the same "Didn't know the City council can set speed limits"

and they want us to vote for them when they don't even know what they can and cannot do in THEIR job????????

Monkeys the lot of them.. should get no more renumeration then a bag of peanuts if you ask me:mad:

already did to two of them, answer was the same "Didn't know the City council can set speed limits"

and they want us to vote for them when they don't even know what they can and cannot do in THEIR job????????

Monkeys the lot of them.. should get no more renumeration then a bag of peanuts if you ask me:mad:

I'd love to know who they were!

Kinda like the County Councillors who are adamant they didn't vote for the Development Plan, and the Councillors who conveniently forgot that they voted a budget of €50k to resurface the Tramore Road when a budget of €300k would have been closer to what was needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gaisce

Interested in what honeybadger is saying, I suppose the 60K limits on the dual carriageway ring roads are as correct as the 80K limit on the Tramore to Waterford back road. I sometimes wonder what criteria do the local authorities use in determining what limit applies to what road. It certainly does not appear to be the quality of the road, hard shoulders, and the number of entrances/exits on same. Wait for the new 20K limits to apply in built up areas around schools etc. Now these would make sense to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

have come across the gatso twice on the new ross- waterford main road

If I'd only read that before the letter arrived! Where the fleck is the special 50km in Slieverue? I cant remember!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭rohe

Trotter wrote: »
    If I'd only read that before the letter arrived! Where the fleck is the special 50km in Slieverue? I cant remember!

i was just thinking the same, i arrived home to find a lovely fine for doing 70km in 50km zone in slieverue,saturday last and i still cant figure out where the 50km zone is exactly,am thinking maybe its just before the roundabout at aldis in ferrybank, can anyone shed any light on this for me???

Advertisement