Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gatso Van in Waterford

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Sully wrote: »
    I assume so.. you still broke the law dude. :P
    :eek::eek:

I think I heard someplace that you can get off by claiming you would have altered your driving if you got warned in between?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Doubt it. Its still an offence.

But the offence is committed by the person driving the car, not the owner, don't forget.

If you've lent your car to someone else that day then they're liable, not you.

A.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Straight from the boys in blue (with a hint of yellow);

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055549776

Sully wrote: »
    Straight from the boys in blue (with a hint of yellow);

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055549776

Oh dear................I suppose there's always the chance that they wont do every car, only cars that are way in excess of the limit...:o.

If not there may be trouble ahead..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

The van is out on the Ferrybank Dual Carraigeway outbound right now around the Ard Ri.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

They really are blitzing Waterford this last 2 weeks. I've been going at the speed limits since I got the letter last week to try and get into the habit of doin 50! The abuse I got this week for that has been unreal. Its intimidating to try and drive at the speed limits. People drive right up behind ya and try to force you on.

Out of interest, has anyone here been done for going say between 60 and 80 on the outer ring road?

No sign of them this evening on the New Ross side of the town. Maybe they've moved on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Oh dear................I suppose there's always the chance that they wont do every car, only cars that are way in excess of the limit...:o.

If not there may be trouble ahead..........

the machine can be set to record cars going over say 10 -15km over the speed limit. So you might be ok ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

I was done for speeding outside mooncoin a couple of months ago, took them all of 5 days to issue the notice to me. If ya don't get it within 2 weeks, you're safe (mate in the gardai told me that). I was doing 30kms over the limit so i deserved ta get caught....slowed me down!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

renraw wrote: »
    I was done for speeding outside mooncoin a couple of months ago, took them all of 5 days to issue the notice to me. If ya don't get it within 2 weeks, you're safe (mate in the gardai told me that). I was doing 30kms over the limit so i deserved ta get caught....slowed me down!

Your mate is wrong IIRC, they have a good few months before it can be issued.

• Advertisement

Our friendly neighbourhood GATSO is now parked out at the Belview port roundabout. Back pointing towards town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 steveaustin

Just saw a woman at 8:50pm reversing her newish jeep back onto the Tramore roundabout on the ORR. The other passenger with me said she saw the women on a mobile too. She had no hazard lights on just the reverse light. Too lazy to continue to next roundabout and turn back if she made a wrong turn. Craziest driving I've witnessed so far on the ORR. Pity I didnt make note of her car reg. All I can remember was that it was a WD so she was local. I wish the Gatso van would catch her.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stan Nangle

I wish the Gatso van would catch her.
    The Gatso Van can't catch people who are drunk, drugged, sleepy, or driving without due care and attention - the categories responsible for 80% of accidents.

It can only catch the 10% who are driving in excess of the posted speed limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

It was in Carrick (in the 60km just below John knox's as coming from Piltown side) the other day. I never thought it would come up this far from Waterford.

What infuriates me is the places there parked. always on a good road. The gatso is ideal to park in at a farmers gate on a secondary road (where accidents usually occur).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

The Gatso van is parked right now opposite the thatch pub at Grannagh Castle on the N24. The little push up window on the roof of the van is the handiest give away

Actually not a bad call to have it there having had a few near misses myself with cars coming from the Limerick direction not realiseing that the roundabout is there and doing about 80KPH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Trotter wrote: »
    Out of interest, has anyone here been done for going say between 60 and 80 on the outer ring road?

I was definitely caught twice doing around 80kmh back in early April but nothing in the post yet. To echo Trotter's question, please post here if you've been penalised for speeding on the outer ring road as a result of a GATSO!

What's the story on manual speed checks, is it safe to say that if they dont chase you, you've gotten away with it???? Was steeped to see the back of a garda hiding in a deep hollow next to the Carrickpherish Road, this is the best hiding place I've ever seen, even their car is below road level....you wouldnt have a chance........For reference purposes, it was here

wellbutty wrote: »
    I was definitely caught twice doing around 80kmh back in early April but nothing in the post yet. To echo Trotter's question, please post here if you've been penalised for speeding on the outer ring road as a result of a GATSO!

I thought I was caught by The Old Creamery petrol station in Slieverue in April as well but nothing yet either. I was SURE I was caught but perhaps not! Was caught by one a few weeks earlier in Ferns and was notified within a week so here's hoping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

wellbutty wrote: »
    What's the story on manual speed checks, is it safe to say that if they dont chase you, you've gotten away with it????

If it was a patrol car with a Garda manually holding a speed detection gun then they have to come after you to stop you and take your details/issue you with a fine + penalty points. The handheld speed guns cannot take photos of number plates or anything like that.

Presumably you weren't too far over the limit and they didn't think your speed was a danger so they didn't come after you. But do bear in mind that different members of the police force have different ideas of what a dangerous speed is so on another occasion you might get pulled by a different Garda for doing the same speed on the same road..

Advertisement