Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would it take to bring down the goverment ?

Options
  • 14-02-2009 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Well it seems to be if you believe what you read and hear these days the the goverments days are nearly up

Im wondering what it would take to bring it down

Would it be more huge job losses like SR technics ?

Would it be worried FF back-benchers revolting in the hope of saving there jobs ?

Would it be another NO to lisbon ???

Or maybe something else id like to hear what you guys think

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

At this rate id say bankruptcy. Having said that we could get them out quicker if we all get out on the street and make life as difficult as possible for them. Cant see that happening so I guess bankruptcy it is then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭MonsieurD

Unfortunately, I agree with Reality Check.
    Democracy is failing us in Ireland, while the bunch of bas*ards in government stick together.

They know that if election comes soon - lots of FF will never see the inside of Dail Eireann again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭,8,1

It won't take much anyway, that's for sure.

However I don't think what will replace them - a bunch of leftoids - is going to be any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

MonsieurD wrote: »
    Democracy is failing us in Ireland, while the bunch of bas*ards in government stick together.

They know that if election comes soon - lots of FF will never see the inside of Dail Eireann again.

Eh, the local elections are in June, FF are going to get massacred. Or they will if you people exercise your right and vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,839 ✭✭✭SeanW

The time to talk about getting FF out was in 2001, when McCreevy and his boys were setting the foundation for our present collapse. Talk of getting FF out now like debating what lock to buy for the barn door when the horse has long since bolted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

SeanW wrote: »
    The time to talk about getting FF out was in 2001, when McCreevy and his boys were setting the foundation for our present collapse. Talk of getting FF out now like debating what lock to buy for the barn door when the horse has long since bolted.

At least there is still a barn door in case we find another horse.

Irish politicians have proved time and time again, if you leave them in power, they'll sell the barn off and pocket the cash themselves.

Lets get them out while there is still a barn, FFS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭EastWallGirl

I think there is something cetral to Anglo Irish that is rotten to the core, I do not quite know who they are protecting and why AIB and BOI are so interested in ensuring that it was saved as well. It was not a clearing bank, they should of been made to sort it out themselves.

I think there is something really rotten being covered up in Anglo Irish and I think the dodgy interbank/customer deposits is just the beginning. There is no doubt that the way the transaction was done was illegal by Stock exchange standards, GAAP, corporations law, the least that need is needed is the Fraud squad and CAB going in. But they are not Why? What is being covered up, who is involved and how far up does it go?

The brown paper envelope style of business morphed but as yet we do not know the finer details.

When and if these details come out the queit anger that I see in the comments pages of the papers and talking to people will come to the surface.

I will be the one throwing bricks at the windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Can we storm the GPO or has that already been done ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

nesf wrote: »
    Eh, the local elections are in June, FF are going to get massacred. Or they will if you people exercise your right and vote.

Even if they do get massacred I cant see them leaving. They will come out with the usual "we are making the tough decisions" crap. Electoral mandate means nothing. They will ride it out for as long as possible until 2012 or until sumthing massive happens like bankruptcy.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Hillel

Even if they do get massacred I cant see them leaving. They will come out with the usual "we are making the tough decisions" crap. Electoral mandate means nothing. They will ride it out for as long as possible until 2012 or until sumthing massive happens like bankruptcy.:(

I agree, FF ministers have zero credibility left, and are now part of the problem. However, rather than do the honourable thing - i.e. seek a new mandate from the people, they'll cling on to power for all they're worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 archplanner

Lenny knowing in September

But it will severely damage the party in the medium term which is if you want FF out for more than one election something you'd want to see happen.

Electoral mandate is subject to change, no one can accurately predict the next five years and what issues a Government will face, so I don't really buy that it means nothing only that it means something if the predictions hold true. If you remember every party at the last election as painting a rosy if a little rocky future for the country and trying to convince us that they were the best ones to manage such a scenario. None of them were presenting us with what they'd do if we suddenly went into a serious recession so arguably none of them sitting in the Dáil have much of mandate left bar in the most general terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

If the Irish people want to take to the streets and bring down the government like was done in Iceland, they will. Unless you think that we Irish are particularly deficient in that regard?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I had this same thought recently. The only way they can be brought down is with a motion of no confidence. The Dail currently has 164 TD's. We need 83 TD's to vote for a motion of no confidence, likely to vote for it are 51 FG, 20 Labour, 4 SF and 2 independents (Behan and McGrath). That gives 77 TD's. The government is failing the people of 2 constituencies at the moment. There are thousands of people in Dublin South and Dublin North Central without a TD, the govt is allowing them to be unrepresented so they can cling on to power. It would not surprise me if Zanu FF are still claiming Seamus Brennans wage.

The Greens hold the balance of power, if they voted against the govt we could have a general election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

i vote we take them out and hang the bastards and im serious.
    Scum of the earth swine. They can **** off if they think im paying tax .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

but who replaces them?

what other options do we have other than 'democracy'?

Anarchism - rules but without rulers ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The government is failing the people of 2 constituencies at the moment. There are thousands of people in Dublin South and Dublin North Central without a TD, the govt is allowing them to be unrepresented so they can cling on to power.

I don't think that's quite fair. The by-elections will happen and I can easily see another FF candidate winning in Dublin South while anything can happen in Dublin Central. You're finding a conspiracy where none exists.

Anyway, I don't know why you quoted Dublin North Central, are you expecting one of their TD's to die/retire soon? :confused:

mikemac wrote: »
    I don't think that's quite fair. The by-elections will happen and I can easily see another FF candidate winning in Dublin South while anything can happen in Dublin Central. You're finding a conspiracy where none exists.

Anyway, I don't know why you quoted Dublin North Central, are you expecting one of their TD's to die/retire soon? :confused:

Tony Gregory died recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You are correct sir but representing Dublin Central

You posted Dublin North Central, and that's Richard Bruton, Sean Haughey & Finian McGrath

Hey, not trying to be pedantic but you can't list someone as dead in another constituency :)

• Advertisement

mikemac wrote: »
    You are correct sir but representing Dublin Central

You posted Dublin North Central, and that's Richard Bruton, Sean Haughey & Finian McGrath

Hey, not trying to be pedantic but you can't list someone as dead in another constituency :)

My bad, I always call it North Central for some reason, probably cause I live in South Central and there is none of Central south of the Liffey and as a result I always add a North there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

What is this obsession with wanting to bring down the Government just because they're awful.:D

The last thing we need right now is a general election campaign. In the current environment this would only lead to either promises that can't be kept or vague and meaningless platforms.

Most commentators are at least in agreement on one thing; what we need now is clarity and stability and a general election is likely to be damaging on both counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

The Greens hold the balance of power, if they voted against the govt we could have a general election.

... and then bye bye Greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

FF have made such an almighty mess, not just in the last few years, it took 10 years to engineer this, that if there is a change of government then the poor sods who take over will spend 5 years trying to turn things round and fail.

The electorate have a short memory. Next time round FF will pass the blame on to the outgoing government and come back on a landslide.

I say leave them there to clean up their own mess.

dvpower wrote: »
    Most commentators are at least in agreement on one thing; what we need now is clarity and stability and a general election is likely to be damaging on both counts.

This is actually very true, loosing two or three months to electioneering with politicians forced to spend a lot more time on local issues and campaigning is the last thing we need right now. That said, I wouldn't bet much against FF not making it a full term in Government this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

MonsieurD wrote: »

We de people voted these wasters in very recently for reasons of greed, fear (and maybe tradition) so "democracy" hasn't "failed" us. Maybe we're the ones who failed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

nesf wrote: »
    This is actually very true, loosing two or three months to electioneering with politicians forced to spend a lot more time on local issues and campaigning is the last thing we need right now.

Yes, but in those 2-3 months are this govt. actually going to achieve anything worthwhile when it comes to digging us out of this hole? Given their track record of failure and total collective inability to admit they made any mistakes whatsoever over the past decade-plus of political power I really doubt it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

We de people voted these wasters in very recently for reasons of greed, fear (and maybe tradition) so "democracy" hasn't "failed" us. Maybe we're the ones who failed?

Well said, fly alagric, well said.

All those sad muppets who kept on voting FF into power again and again are now regretting the sheer stupidity of their action.

I dearly want to see FF lose power for a generation or more. They need to be severely punished for ruining the economy and the country.

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Yes, but in those 2-3 months are this govt. actually going to achieve anything worthwhile when it comes to digging us out of this hole? Given their track record of failure and total collective inability to admit they made any mistakes whatsoever over the past decade-plus of political power I really doubt it.

In fairness they have been doing things the past few weeks. You might not agree with them but the bank recapitalisation in particular badly needed to be done and they managed to get something of a sensible package together for the big two banks.

I'd have preferred them to move sooner but they are at least doing something right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I think it would take 5-8 days of massive public protests (no fewer than 150,000 per day) to force the government to resign.

Advertisement