Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stewart Lee's comedy vehicle

• 14-02-2009 1:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭

Stewart Lee's new stand-up show is starting on BBC2 next month. Can't wait, tbh. I've heard it will be a mix of some material from his latest shows and some brand new stuff. :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Good stuff, i'll look forward to it. I think Stewart Lee is the best out there proper intelligent stand up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Saw the first episode on Youtube.
    TBH, wasn't side-splittingly funny but still good.
    He had Michael Redmond (Father Stone) in one of the sketches. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Just watched the 'political correctness' episode. In fairness, he had to pull quite a few of his punches for television compared with his live stuff - a bit disappointing really, because I think the harsher version is more effective and what a few people need to hear. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭actwithoutwords

This series has been a bit variable in quality I think, but along with Outnumbered, the best comedy on British TV in years. The sketches have been consistently weak unfortunately, which takes away from the momentum of the stand up, and Lee is all about rhythm and momentum. Sketches tonight were great though, the Bill Hicks parody was nicely ridiculous, I'LL TELL YOU WHAT MICE ARE... and the final apple shop sketch was beautifully performed. The appearance of the trombonist was inspired and the increased derangement of Putner and Eldon was superb. It would have been a fantastic end to the series, if it wasn't for the swapping around of episodes due to the BBC not wanting to put out the 'religion' episode on Easter Monday.
    First episode was my favourite I think, political correctness and the economic crisis one next. Also highly recommended are the red button extras with Armando Iannucci which are absolutely fantastic. A joy to see two comedy greats together like that. Looking forward to the DVD, and hoping against hope that it will get recommissioned. There's no-one else doing this kind of stuff on TV at all these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

He's not a fan i take it!?

And he is probably right:o:eek::o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

I'ves een the Toilet books one and the Religion one,i found the books one very funny,very witty he is a definite slow burner he will build up for quite a while to a punch line.

The religion one had its moments but it was a little too sketch heavy for my liking,and most of the sketches were very out there in a monty python but not quite monty way.

Sketches tonight were great though, the Bill Hicks parody was nicely ridiculous, I'LL TELL YOU WHAT MICE ARE...

So, apparently he came up with that when he heard an American comic talking about his 'mouse bit' and Lee was left wondering what the mouse bit could have been, within the limited ideas of American comedy. :D He thought it might have been an 'angry comic' bit, hence the fag rat. I think he is a fan of Bill Hicks, though, just not the conveyor belt of hacks that followed him.

But, tbh, Hicks was just the 1st angry comic; it doesn't make him any better than Denis Leary except that he was original. They both weren't funny. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

2Scoops wrote: »
    But, tbh, Hicks was just the 1st angry comic;

Er i bet he wasnt!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

2Scoops wrote: »
    So, apparently he came up with that when he heard an American comic talking about his 'mouse bit' and Lee was left wondering what the mouse bit could have been, within the limited ideas of American comedy. :D He thought it might have been an 'angry comic' bit, hence the fag rat. I think he is a fan of Bill Hicks, though, just not the conveyor belt of hacks that followed him.

But, tbh, Hicks was just the 1st angry comic; it doesn't make him any better than Denis Leary except that he was original. They both weren't funny. :pac:

Ever heard of Lenny Bruce?

• Advertisement

Well, there goes the last good thing I had to say about Bill Hicks! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Scien wrote: »
    Probably gonna be lambasted for this but i think this show is poor.
    Not by me, anyway - I'm not going to judge the whole series as I only saw one episode a couple of weeks ago but from what I DID see, it really was pretty mediocre.

The sketches seemed bland and his stand-up wasn't anywhere near the level of some of the stuff I've seen him do before - it might be that the producers have been meddling a bit too much but he certainly seemed like he'd lost his bite a bit.

Advertisement