Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Testers required for Events Calendar

Options
  • 14-02-2009 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭

I'm getting together a calendar of airsoft events in Ireland, Northern Ireland and Britain. The idea is to make it simpler to find events in one place and plan your trips.

I need a couple of people to help me test it. You can either view the calendar with a browser, or subscribe to it in any calendar application which understands the iCalendar format.

If you're interested in being a beta tester, please PM me for the link.

If this works, I'll eventually expand it to include European and American events.

Note: The IAA website has a calendar too. It seems to be for IAA-affiliated sites so far - that's not a bad thing at all - but it's a bit small. Mine is intended to compliment it, not replace it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

sounds like a great idea! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Wikipedia has a list of applications which support the iCalendar standard.

Every Mac sold since late 2003 comes with a calendar application called iCal.

If you're on any unix or Linux, you'll probably have something which supports iCalendar already.

On Windows XP, you need either Outlook 2007 or the Thunderbird/Lightning combination.

On Vista, M$ Calendar supports it. If you have a Google account you can set up their calendar to subscribe.

(iCalendar is a standard for event information exchange. iCal is an Apple calendar program.)

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

OzCam wrote: »
    Note: The IAA website has a calendar too. It seems to be for IAA-affiliated sites so far - that's not a bad thing at all - but it's a bit small. Mine is intended to compliment it, not replace it.

Hi Oz

Really good idea.

The IAA events calendar contains all events in Ireland and the UK that might be of interest to the community. (All we have been sent) If people send the material to info@irishairsoft.ie to post we will put it up.

Steve

Thanks Fayer. We'll see how it goes and if people like mine we'll work on keeping them synced later on. I think there's room for both a mini-calendar and a full-scale feed. Both good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Turncoat

I'll help, just tell me what you want.

• Advertisement

I hope to integrate these events with the Calendar on Boards too. It's under investigation.

If you'd like to be a beta tester, please send me a PM. There's no need to post.
    I'd like to keep this thread for news and feedback.

We have 5 testers so far, we need a few more - especially those players who travel a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I'm running this through Thunderbird's calendar plugin "Lightning" on Vista.

Version info
    • Thunderbird: 2.0.0.19 (build 20081209)
    • Lightning: 0.9 (build 2008091719)
    • Vista: 64-bit, Ultimate edition, SP1

When I get a chance, I'm also going to try this on my eeePC which travels with me to events, and is linux-based.

Thanks to the testers so far.

Following some great feedback, all events are now listed as "all-day". This is because the times for short events won't display properly - the server is in California and displays local times, not the time of the event.

I'll be putting up the links for everyone to see in a few days. I need to sort out another email alias first.

Links for events in specific countries will also be available at that time, so you can mix and match what you subscribe to. Unfortunately the website will only show either one country at a time or all countries together.

Damn, it's hard work finding US events.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Locked at request of OP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement