Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Lily Allen song- not bad.

Options
  • 14-02-2009 3:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

Heard it on the radio there and i must admit it's quite catchy.
    Never liked anything else by her until now.
    What do you think.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Miranda_McCool

Lilly Allen is a disturbingly poor artist. Her new album is an atrocious exhibition of poorly produced melodies and rather done-before lyrics, showcasing Lilly Allen as a pop tart spoiled on riches rather than any actual talent. Her voice also resembles some sort of juvenile droning, and she cant dance. Poor talent! Boo!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Remember Kylie Minogue started off with ' I should be so lucky ' then went on to superstardom devloping her own style /music .The same might be said of Lilly Allen now . i think her new single is as good as anything around today from that genere of newish pop artists

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Lilly Allen is a disturbingly poor artist. Her new album is an atrocious exhibition of poorly produced melodies and rather done-before lyrics, showcasing Lilly Allen as a pop tart spoiled on riches rather than any actual talent. Her voice also resembles some sort of juvenile droning, and she cant dance. Poor talent! Boo!!!!!

This coming from someone who rates Britney Spears as one of the best things since sliced bread :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

DarkJager wrote: »
    This coming from someone who rates Britney Spears as one of the best things since sliced bread :rolleyes:
    Ah, see that's a fair point.

I like the new Lily Allen album. The Japanese version comes with two extra tracks and a slightly different version of "Everyone's at it".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is the BumBum song out yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Miranda_McCool

DarkJager wrote: »

Britneys talent and charisma got her a recording contract. What did Lilly Allen do to get one? She just waved some cash around, thats what. She cant sing, she cant dance, and she also kicked a paparzzi, what a junkie!

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

She wouldnt be my usual taste in music but I quite like her outlook and style. She reminds me of a British Pink and to be honest I would find her much more tolerable than your X factor winners and runner ups etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Britneys talent and charisma got her a recording contract. What did Lilly Allen do to get one? She just waved some cash around, thats what. She cant sing, she cant dance, and she also kicked a paparzzi, what a junkie!
    Britney's ass in a school uniform got her whatever the hell she wanted.

As for Lilly Allen, she can't sing Whitney Houston songs but she can do what she does, and who gives a fúck about dancing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Great song - love the melody, class lyrics. It's clearly about Cheryl Cole. :D
    I think Lily Allen is a great pop performer.
    :eek: - but I thought you thought it wasn't ok to criticise singers. That it was "nasty" and "jealous" etc and should only be done by people who have musical talent themselves. Oh wait... that only applies when a person is criticising Britney. ;)
    Going by your logic in the other thread, you're obviously jealous of Lily - because only jealous people criticise, isn't that right?
    No... Lily's talent - very pretty voice, great lyrics, great tunes - got her a recording contract too. Plus, she doesn't rely on removing her clothing or appealing to the inner paedo. As for your view that Britney's lyrics are better than Lily's clever, witty ones - LOL.
    And while looks don't have anything to do with talent, you brought them up - Lily is absolutely beautiful: really striking with amazing eyes, flawless porcelain skin and smooth-as-silk raven hair. And a bit more interesting looking than the usual blonde, tanned generica.

Oh and Britney's the junkie... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

tech77 wrote: »
    Heard it on the radio there and i must admit it's quite catchy.
    Never liked anything else by her until now.
    What do you think.

I agree, never liked her stuff either till I heard The Fear

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Not to mention she has great legs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Its a good song. Better than that Kardinal Offishal song. That sucks so much ass :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I just cant get past her voice, it irritates me to hell. Having said that, the tune of the song is quite catchy so if you have no problems with her accent, its easy see why people would like that song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I like The Fear, Womanizer version is pretty cool too.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

gambiaman wrote: »
    I like The Fear, Womanizer version is pretty cool too.

Wow she even makes Britney songs sound good. Lily Allen rocks :)

oh haha that was a coinsidence . Just saw all that stuff bout Britney Spears on this and that other thread. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭unregged.

Poor artist really? So what about the fact the album went STRAIGHT TO NO 1 AS WELL AS THE FEAR (SINGLE) IN the UK???

so is is still a poor untalented artist?

To be fair, going to number 1 does not necessarily mean talented or good. Look at all the number 1s Westlife had...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Ah now. Even if you don't like Westlife you still have to respect what they have done. They are the best possible Boyzone result imaginable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I can't bear her. I'm sorry, it's not even a rational thing.

I detest that mockney voice, some of the faux-street lyrics and any of the tunes I've heard. With Mike Skinner, she's also responsible for the Kate Nash school of Pat Butcher Rap, and she's related to Keith Allen, another f8cking spoofer that I have an irrational dislike of.

No use in even debating it here, cos I know I'm probably being unreasonable. And obviously I'd far prefer to see a gobby, drug-taking, independent woman in the charts than some of the other stuff that's around, but I just can't like it personally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

She does have a nice voice when she doesn't overemphasise her accent.

"The Fear" is a pretty good song, though her best song is still "Smile" (one of the best pop songs of the 2000's imo)

Ah now. Even if you don't like Westlife you still have to respect what they have done.
    No. While I agree some of them have very good voices, they recorded awful, awful, awful stuff. It wasn't thanks to Westlife anyway, it was the slick production and marketing machine. Any other four/five lads with the right looks/voices and the result would have been the same.
    They are the best possible Boyzone result imaginable.
    Another example of gazillion sellers but not actually any good...
    stovelid wrote: »
    I detest that mockney voice, some of the faux-street lyrics
    In my opinion her lyrics come across as sincere - she's middle-class sure, but hung out with some tough nuts. Once she doesn't pretend she's from the ghetto too (and she doesn't) I don't have a problem with that. I don't think her accent is that mockney either.
    With Mike Skinner, she's also responsible for the Kate Nash school of Pat Butcher Rap
    Well now those two I find unlistenable. And Mike Skinner is from Birmingham...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Are you still talking shįt?! Jesus woman go away and don't come back until you find a decent taste in music and share the same music knowledge everybody else on the forum does! Only primary school children listen to Britney-fûcking-Spears (15 year olds at best)!

I a bit of a fan of Lily Allen, she was outstanding on Jools Holland, and she's a moddest girl, something rearly said for other popular artists. Jools knows his artists and he believes Lily Allen is one of the best singers of the current period. She has a class to her singing if she wishes to use it, something she admittedly use in her breakthrough and opted for more of a Mockney/Cockney style (which I thought was a mistake because she took a suburb slum look even though she was born with a silver spoon in her mouth being Keith Allens daughter). But she seems to be taking the music alot more seriously now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Dudess wrote: »

Well now those two I find unlistenable. And Mike Skinner is from Birmingham...

From Birmingham.; at London. Innit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,973 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

"The Fear" is a catchy song and quite different from her earlier stuff which I thought was poor.
    I presume this is mostly due to her co writer on the song .
    Written by Lily Allen and Greg Kurstin, and produced by the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

This is my favourite Lily Allen, Driving me wild with Common.

She has her style because that's what she can do, take it or leave it. Overall she makes the best of her ability, inoffensive (to my ears anyhow) pop songs. Although I dont have any of her albums...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭,8,1

Dudess wrote:
    Great song - love the melody, class lyrics. It's clearly about Cheryl Cole.
    I think Lily Allen is a great pop performer.

Of course you do. She's a feminist.

Allen's chart hits could be referenced for proof of the above, but also:
    wrote:
    The Woman Thing: "Being in this industry has turned me into a feminist because it just angers me so much the lack of respect and how patronising especially male journalists can be." The NME got her goat when they photographed Lily, Beth Ditto and The Long Blondes' Kate Jackson for a cover celebrating women in music, but then decided to feature male indie band Muse instead.

Hell hath no fury like a cover star scorned and Lily wrote that the NME "should take their heads out of their arses" and "think about their responsibilities to youth culture and to women in general". When the editor soothingly commented that she, Ditto and Jackson "brought new energy to the music scene" and were "living proof that you can still rock a crowd when you're wearing stilettos", Lily blew a gasket. "I mean how ****ing patronising. Is that all we are, stiletto-wearing people? Is that all he could say, that we brought a 'new energy' to the music scene? Don't make me sick, we've always been there."

No, Lily, you're not just stilletto wearing people. You're talentless feminist gits whose success is the result of a synergy with the mores of our culture, not because of any musical or lyrical worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

I can take or leave Lily Allen but think the lyrics of Not Fair are seriously unsuitable to play on the airwaves. My kids are at an age where they'll listen to the latest chart hits and tbh, I hate them listening to the trash that Ms. Allen is singing about in this song.

oh he treats me with respect he says he loves me all the time
    he calls me fifteen times a day he likes to make sure that I'm fine
    you know I've never met a man whose made me feel quite so secure
    hes not like all them other boys they're all so dumb and immature

there's just one thing that's getting in the way
    when we go up to bed you're just not good it's such a shame
    I look into your eyes I want to get to know you
    and then you make this noise and its apparent it's all over

it's not fair and I think your really mean
    I think your really mean
    yes I think your really mean

oh your supposed to care but you never make me scream
    you never make me scream

oh it's not fair and it's really not ok
    it's really not ok
    it's really not ok

oh your supposed to care but all you do is take
    all you do is take

well I lie here in the wet patch in the middle of the bed
    I'm feeling pretty damn hard done by, I spent ages giving head
    then I remember all the nice things that you've ever said to me
    maybe I'm just overreacting, maybe your the one for me

I think your really mean

you never make me scream

it's really not ok
    it's really not ok

all you do is take

I think your really mean

you never make me scream

it's really not ok
    it's really not ok

all you do is take

Classy chick-not!

Well the bits about the wet patch and giving head are blanked out of the radio version, but yeah, some of the other lyrics are quite raunchy and she IS someone whom nine-year-old girls would look up to, seeing as she's so pretty and doll-like. Perhaps the record company shouldn't have chosen that song as a single (I doubt the final say would be Allen's).
    On the other hand though, I don't see anything wrong with a woman writing a song about being left unsatisfied and frustrated sexually, and it's highly likely those lyrics will go over a young girl's head - I've no doubt I was singing suggestive enough Madonna lyrics at the age of nine and not having an iota what they meant. If I had asked my mum what they meant, I'm sure she'd have been easily able to explain them away. I wonder whether the album has a "warning" label on it.
    ,8,1 wrote: »
    Of course you do. She's a feminist.
    Is she? First I've heard of it.
    Allen's chart hits could be referenced for proof of the above, but also:

No, Lily, you're not just stilletto wearing people. You're talentless feminist gits whose success is the result of a synergy with the mores of our culture, not because of any musical or lyrical worth.
    As I've asked you before (maybe you'll answer this time): why do you hate women and Jews?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Dudess wrote: »
    Well the bits about the wet patch and giving head are blanked out of the radio version, but yeah, some of the other lyrics are quite raunchy

They're not raunchy - they're arrogant, sexist and pathetic!

If a guy wrote or sang those lyrics there would be uproar!

"You never make me scream" :rolleyes: .....Lily, that's because you come across as a complete shallow bitch and I couldn't be arsed!

Advertisement