Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone gotten a bigger than usual esb bill?

Options
  • 14-02-2009 3:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

A couple of different friends of mine have been recently complaining that they have gotten huge estimated esb bills.

One friend in particular pays on average of 120 euro but was charged 450 even though they hadn't been there all Christmas. They rang esb about five or six times before they would state that the bill was estimated and agreed to cancel it and read the meter.

The strange thing is I have heard several people complaining that they were overcharged by a lot. Is it just a coincidence or is there something going on with esb? I know that charges have gone up recently and Christmas has to be taken into account but it still seems ridiculous and unfair for people that are already finding times a little tough.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

costs have gone up, read this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055473511

Already covered by numerous threads

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Do people not get those little cards saying "we came to read the meter but you were out"?
    I do and it has a number on it so you can call in your meter reading so you don't get an estimated bill. It they underestimate for several months (or years) you can end up being hit with a huge bill once they do get an accurate reading.

Oh, you'll be pleased to know where the extra is going to. Average ESB worker earns €76,000 and the average worker in Poolbeg earns €125,000!
    And they're about to get a 7% bonus payment too!

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/esb-risks-new-storm-over-7pc-pay-bonuses--for-senior-staff-1639914.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Do people not get those little cards saying "we came to read the meter but you were out"?
    I've never seen one of those, didn't even know they did that.

hellboy99 wrote: »

I thought everyone got one if they can't read the meter. Nobody's in my house during the day so they can never get it. I got one yesterday for the gas too and called in the meter reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I have said this before on other threads if you have real power you can command real wages. This recent 3% rise by the ESB wages is proof of this.While the average worker has to survive on 30k they can double that by being the Man Who Can Pull the Plug and using that political power.
    I's love to be in that position.
    What is really needed is a tough regulatory system to encourage competition and give them something to be afraid of, like what happens to other workers.
    Same applies to doctors and consultants who can ask what they will for treatment, the more worried the patient the more they will pay.
    Those in non-essential sectors of employment, who can easily be replaced, haven't a hope of commanding the same wage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

hellboy99 wrote: »
    They usually do it when the meter is inside the premises. If your meter is outside, you won't get a card.

(I got one onetime saying that my parked vehicle prevented the meter box from being accessed).

You can submit your meter reading online also. You just need your account and MPRN number and the meter reading. You can see your bills etc also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

doolox wrote: »
    I have said this before on other threads if you have real power you can command real wages. This recent 3% rise by the ESB wages is proof of this.While the average worker has to survive on 30k they can double that by being the Man Who Can Pull the Plug and using that political power.
    What is really needed is a tough regulatory system to encourage competition and give them something to be afraid of, like what happens to other workers.
    Same applies to doctors and consultants who can ask what they will for treatment, the more worried the patient the more they will pay.
    Those in non-essential sectors of employment, who can easily be replaced, haven't a hope of commanding the same wage.
    Jesus. Wish i could be an "average" worker and pull down 30k a year...Yes for the record i've noticed my ESB and Gas bills shoot up to almost double the amount i was paying this time last year. i've been told even the guys who go door to door to read your meter earn 60k+ a year...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Only a complete cynic would suggest it had something to do with the fact that energy prices are going to fall in the short term - when you buy units of electricity now for 10% more than what they'll cost in two months time due to an overestimated bill, it's money in the bank for the ESB!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

My last bill was estimated and was double the amount of my previous bill. My meter is inside but I don't get a card as the meter reader only calls about 3 times a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

They rang esb about five or six times before they would state that the bill was estimated and agreed to cancel it and read the meter

You can read your meter yourself and submit it online, no need to call the ESB and/or get someone sent out to read it.

TBH, I haven't seen one of those cards in donkey's years. The onus has shifted to the customer to make sure that their bills are correct.

Everytime I get a bill, I get the meter key and I go outside and read the meter for myself. I've been doing this for years. Our bills are actually much the same as last year - and we're not making any huge effort to conserve. I think that it's the fact that I regularly read the meter and submit any differences that means our bills are regular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

the esb say that they read meters at least 4 times a year but this is simply not the case as over the last year my meter was read only twice! and i have noticed in the past that they do not read meters just after an increase then they can estimate the bill wildly exaggerating the reading thus earning themselves an extra few euros from each houshold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

doolox wrote: »

hear hear. The ESB man is on a lot more than double the average wage in this country, though, unfortunately. That is why we have the second most expensive electricity in Europe, and one of the most expensive in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

If the bill is estimated does it always have the 'E' beside the reading?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

foggy_lad wrote: »
    the esb say that they read meters at least 4 times a year but this is simply not the case as over the last year my meter was read only twice! and i have noticed in the past that they do not read meters just after an increase then they can estimate the bill wildly exaggerating the reading thus earning themselves an extra few euros from each houshold.

given that its in your interest why don't you read it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Musha wrote: »

Yes, it does
    'C' is corrected if you submit a reading within 8days
    Nothing but the reading - done by a meter reader

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Musha wrote: »

It should have the 'E'. But it's no harm to get into the habit of checking every single bill against the meter. Who knows, maybe the meter man transcribed a number incorrectly?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭cycling is fun

the above is not always the case l had an estimated bill recently and there was no e beside it, it had no letter beside it which would suggest that meter reader had read the meter l knew before l looked at meter that it was estimated as my meter is internal l live alone and had not seen meter reader for months and he generally anounces himself in advance by either beeping the horn on his car even before he gets to my house or by knocking on my front door continously and trying to gain entry himself

the above is not always the case l had an estimated bill recently and there was no e beside it, it had no letter beside it which would suggest that meter reader had read the meter l knew before l looked at meter that it was estimated as my meter is internal l live alone and had not seen meter reader for months and he generally anounces himself in advance by either beeping the horn on his car even before he gets to my house or by knocking on my front door continously and trying to gain entry himself

Well it should have the 'E' beside it. Must happen at certain times where it doesnt i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

There have been a lot of complaints where I live on neighbours.ie about the size of the ESB bills sent out this week. My advice to people is that if they want to run storage heaters on a thermostat at 25C all the time and use the washer/drier and dishwasher in the evenings, then they are going to get these bills. I reduced my thermostat from 22 to 20C and had a lower bill this year than this time last. And if it was very cold like last week (post bill of course), I'd throw a rug over my legs to stay toasty!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The ESB increased all their estimates by 50% in recent weeks to make up for a big shortfall in cashflow caused by dramatically increased non payment of bills since the summer and also because it was cold

It is a good reason not to use DD with the ESB because they can gouge you when they feel like it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

There have been a lot of complaints where I live on neighbours.ie about the size of the ESB bills sent out this week. My advice to people is that if they want to run storage heaters on a thermostat at 25C all the time and use the washer/drier and dishwasher in the evenings, then they are going to get these bills. I reduced my thermostat from 22 to 20C and had a lower bill this year than this time last. And if it was very cold like last week (post bill of course), I'd throw a rug over my legs to stay toasty!

I do know that a lot of people around where my OH's mothers house have gotten bills that are ~€200 over what they were expecting. And that included the extra for the cold. Mine is due is next month, and I swear they'll be in for an earful if they try that crap.

I do know that a lot of people around where my OH's mothers house have gotten bills that are ~€200 over what they were expecting. And that included the extra for the cold. Mine is due is next month, and I swear they'll be in for an earful if they try that crap.

They charge you for the amount you use, no point in giving them an earful if you use more units.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

And that included the extra for the cold. Mine is due is next month, and I swear they'll be in for an earful if they try that crap.
    Damn straight, there's nothing like getting on the phone and verbally assaulting whoever it is that answers the customer calls for ESB to let off a bit of steam. Any time anything is wrong with any of my banking, phone or electricity I ring customer services and let them have it!

Who cares that it's not their fault, and that they are just doing their job, and that they have to listen to cantankerous assholes abusing them all day long? They bloody well DESERVE it.

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Who cares that it's not their fault, and that they are just doing their job, and that they have to listen to cantankerous assholes abusing them all day long? They bloody well DESERVE it.

Glad i dont work in a call centre :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I don't know if this type question has been asked already but here goes anyway.

E.G - My latest bill is estimated and a number of units are charged at 0.1597 Euro and a number at 0.1640 Euro. I don't know when the increase to .1640 came in but it must have been since mid Nov 2008.

My question is, how did they decide how many units to charge at the new higher rate?
    Depending on the answer to this I might have more questions.

Joe Public wrote: »
    I don't know if this type question has been asked already but here goes anyway.

E.G - My latest bill is estimated and a number of units are charged at 0.1597 Euro and a number at 0.1640 Euro. I don't know when the increase to .1640 came in but it must have been since mid Nov 2008.

My question is, how did they decide how many units to charge at the new higher rate?
    Depending on the answer to this I might have more questions.

They would take the amount of units from previous bills and usage and average them per day then multiply it by the amount of days on both rates giving you the bill you got.

davton wrote: »
    They would take the amount of units from previous bills and usage and average them per day then multiply it by the amount of days on both rates giving you the bill you got.

Thanks Davton - when did the last price increase kick in?

Joe Public wrote: »
    Thanks Davton - when did the last price increase kick in?

Think it was jan 1st

• Advertisement

davton wrote: »
    Think it was jan 1st

Then it probably works out for my bill from 14th Nov to Jan 14th, a 60 day period, that the last 14 days are calculated at the higher rate. I'm guessing then ~ 25% of my usage is on the higher rate as 14 is almost 25% of 60. Looking at the bill 737 units are at the lower rate and 216 are at the higher rate which more or less matches the above guesstimate.

The units are estimated above what I used for the period so ESB will actually lose a little when they eventually adjust to the correct reading.
    I'm assuming any future adjustment will be at the latest price per unit.
    If they had read the meter and got the correct reading there would have been less units charged at the lower rate. On the other hand they are getting a free loan by overcharging based on their higher than normal estimates.

Advertisement