Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone gotten a bigger than usual esb bill?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

One of the main reasons for the increase in bills for the last 2 monbths has been the exceptionally cold weather.

Normally ground temps are at an average of 6 - 8 degrees but for the second half of december & all January ground temps have been at multi year lows (sorry, but I watch farming weater too often) of near freezing.

This means that the cold water temperature coming into your house needs a lot more electricity to heat it - anything from Kettles, to washing machines, to dishwashers to showers.

In the summer, "cold" water coming into your house is at approx. 12 degrees, so with average water temp of 40 degrees for washing / showers the cold weather effectively uses 30% more electricity to heat your water.

Sorry to burst the ESB conspiracy bubble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Oh, you'll be pleased to know where the extra is going to. Average ESB worker earns €76,000 and the average worker in Poolbeg earns €125,000!
    And they're about to get a 7% bonus payment too!

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/esb-risks-new-storm-over-7pc-pay-bonuses--for-senior-staff-1639914.html

Wow, only took three posts for this misinformed bleating to kick off. 10% of the bill from your energy provider *at a push* may be attributable to staff costs. Now take 3.5% of that 10%...
    hellboy99 wrote: »
    I've never seen one of those, didn't even know they did that.

Yep. May be easier to submit the reading online if you wish. Most out of kilter bills are as a result of estimates, or estimate corrections. If smart metering gets off the ground (and it will), these anomalies will become history, as will the erstwhile meter reader (who I'll agree, we don't see often enough-the fact that most houses these days are empty during working hours doesn't help either).
    doolox wrote: »
    I have said this before on other threads if you have real power you can command real wages. This recent 3% rise by the ESB wages is proof of this.While the average worker has to survive on 30k they can double that by being the Man Who Can Pull the Plug and using that political power.
    I's love to be in that position.
    What is really needed is a tough regulatory system to encourage competition and give them something to be afraid of, like what happens to other workers.
    Same applies to doctors and consultants who can ask what they will for treatment, the more worried the patient the more they will pay.
    Those in non-essential sectors of employment, who can easily be replaced, haven't a hope of commanding the same wage.

More uninformed knee jerking. Bet you didn't know that the reason your bill is so high is because our electricity prices are held artificially high to make it viable for competitors to sell electricity! ESB actually want to reduce the price to a more reasonable level, but its competitors and the regulator are opposed!

The company also threw €300m into the pot last year, to lessen the blow to consumers. They could do this, because the returns to ESB Customer Supply are too high in proportion to the cost to the company to provide that electricity to the customer.

Blame the regulators, they and they alone have screwed the country, from taxis to banks.
    dudara wrote: »
    Everytime I get a bill, I get the meter key and I go outside and read the meter for myself. I've been doing this for years. Our bills are actually much the same as last year - and we're not making any huge effort to conserve. I think that it's the fact that I regularly read the meter and submit any differences that means our bills are regular.

Indeed. I suspect had many of the callers to last weeks LoiveLoine done the same, then their bills would not have been so varied.
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The ESB increased all their estimates by 50% in recent weeks to make up for a big shortfall in cashflow caused by dramatically increased non payment of bills since the summer and also because it was cold

Absolute bullcrap.
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It is a good reason not to use DD with the ESB because they can gouge you when they feel like it :(

A bill is a bill, whatever the payment method.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I've never been underestimated on an ESB bill which means they have been getting free loans from me for years. I'd imagine this is the norm and a handy way of pulling in extra millions when needed. Is there any other service company that has this power.( pardon the pun )

darc wrote: »
    One of the main reasons for the increase in bills for the last 2 monbths has been the exceptionally cold weather.

Normally ground temps are at an average of 6 - 8 degrees but for the second half of december & all January ground temps have been at multi year lows (sorry, but I watch farming weater too often) of near freezing.

This means that the cold water temperature coming into your house needs a lot more electricity to heat it - anything from Kettles, to washing machines, to dishwashers to showers.

In the summer, "cold" water coming into your house is at approx. 12 degrees, so with average water temp of 40 degrees for washing / showers the cold weather effectively uses 30% more electricity to heat your water.

Sorry to burst the ESB conspiracy bubble.

A large % of homes have central heating using oil or gas which in turn also heats the water which is used to feed washing machines and dishwashers.
    Hot water for baths and sinks would also be dependent on the central heating. Water for kettles and showers would usually be sourced from a cold supply ok.
    In summer when central heating is not used more people tend to use electric immersion heaters to heat the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭highdef

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Damn straight, there's nothing like getting on the phone and verbally assaulting whoever it is that answers the customer calls for ESB to let off a bit of steam. Any time anything is wrong with any of my banking, phone or electricity I ring customer services and let them have it!

Who cares that it's not their fault, and that they are just doing their job, and that they have to listen to cantankerous assholes abusing them all day long? They bloody well DESERVE it.

My friend who is sitting here beside me and worked in a call centre said that when he or his fellow worker came across an asshole like you and he tried to resolve your problem and there was no helping as you you were just out to abuse and make his job more stressful than it already was, he would have just hung up on you. Being a prick gets you nowhere. If you're intelligent enough to be courteous and realise that it is not their fault and they're also the lowest paid in the company. They will probably feel sorry for you and help you but assholes like you deserve to wait another 15 minutes trying to get through the automatic answering system only to be hung up again because the next person couldn't be arsed listening to you abuse them leaving you more frustrated. Management in the call centres encourage you to advise customers if they are being abusive and their call will be terminated but can oversee a click of the mouse (that accidentally) terminates the call, if deserved. Enjoy holding!!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Joe Public wrote: »
    A large % of homes have central heating using oil or gas which in turn also heats the water which is used to feed washing machines and dishwashers.
    Hot water for baths and sinks would also be dependent on the central heating. Water for kettles and showers would usually be sourced from a cold supply ok.
    In summer when central heating is not used more people tend to use electric immersion heaters to heat the water.

Most Diswashers & Washing machines are normally fed from cold water inlet only as are most electric showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Hidef, you should probably check out

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sarcasm

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This is very much incorrect,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Wrong. Most houses use a cold feed to washers. It's more economical to let the machine heat the water than using oil or gas. The water used still has to be re-heated by your cenral heating system.

I've never been underestimated on an ESB bill which means they have been getting free loans from me for years. I'd imagine this is the norm and a handy way of pulling in extra millions when needed. Is there any other service company that has this power.( pardon the pun )
    Firstly I've often had under-estimated bills so your theory is shot. I've also heard many a complaint that people got large bills because previous ones were under-estimated for some time. Why do we always get these crackpot theories?
    Secondly, has it ever occured to you that rather than getting "free loans" from you, you are actually paying ESB in arrears for a product you consumed up to 2 months earlier? In fact two and a half months when we allow for the 14 day payment term.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    This is very much incorrect,
    why?

Wrong. Most houses use a cold feed to washers. It's more economical to let the machine heat the water than using oil or gas. The water used still has to be re-heated by your cenral heating system.

Washing machines less than 10 years old have a cold feed only while older ones have both hot and cold. A large % of washing machines are older than 10 years. In winter time there is a better chance of having spare hot water, heated by gas or oil, in the cylinder thus saving on electricity.

Firstly I've often had under-estimated bills so your theory is shot. I've also heard many a complaint that people got large bills because previous ones were under-estimated for some time. Why do we always get these crackpot theories?
    Secondly, has it ever occured to you that rather than getting "free loans" from you, you are actually paying ESB in arrears for a product you consumed up to 2 months earlier? In fact two and a half months when we allow for the 14 day payment term.

My bills are always over-estimated, at least any I have checked against the meter. It's more normal to pay for a service after you get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭ongarite

I got the Efergy energy meter mentioned in another ESB thread and its an addictive device to use. Some of the findings so far are very interesting, well worth the €42 if you are interested in lowering bill.

Quick boil kettle=2.5kW
    Immersion=3kW
    Storage Heating=2.7kW
    PC=120W
    TV=120-270W depending on picture

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Washing machines less than 10 years old have a cold feed only while older ones have both hot and cold. A large % of washing machines are older than 10 years. In winter time there is a better chance of having spare hot water, heated by gas or oil, in the cylinder thus saving on electricity.

Really, you might want to tell the last 6 houses and 6 new washing machines I've seen then, all cold only

So basically your statement is inaccurate, maybe not 100% incorrect but certainly misleading and inaccurate to people reading it.

My bills are always over-estimated, at least any I have checked against the meter. It's more normal to pay for a service after you get it.

Whats stopping you submitting your meter reading to the ESB instead of relying on estimated bills?

ongarite wrote: »
    I got the Efergy energy meter mentioned in another ESB thread and its an addictive device to use. Some of the findings so far are very interesting, well worth the €42 if you are interested in lowering bill.

Quick boil kettle=2.5kW
    Immersion=3kW
    Storage Heating=2.7kW
    PC=120W
    TV=120-270W depending on picture

Its certainly the way to go alright, makes you alot more aware of whats using the most power. Spot lights are a killer imho

It's more normal to pay for a service after you get it.

Just on a point of order. It is a product you are consuming not a service!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Spot lights are a killer imho

Put them on a dimmer.

You quote "a large %" very easily. A large % of washing machines are not over 10 years old and I had cold water only feed back in 1985. The argument that you are using spare hot water doesn't (forgive the pun) hold water. You do not have spare hot water as any used will be replaced by burning fuel. If you have spare hot water then you have wasted enery heating it. Oh dear look at all the hot water going to waste lets do a wash???

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LIS

sorry to but in on your thread,not sure if this is the place to post...sorry in advance.
    just got my bill 342.00 euro.usually our bill is 160.00 to 180.00.i realise there has been a recent increase in prices.my house is next to my dads house.he is retired always at home(minding grandchildren).me and my wife work all day.his bill was 172.00 euro this time.the meter reading is right.i just think there is something wrong.is this possible???????thanks in advance for info:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

LIS wrote: »
    sorry to but in on your thread,not sure if this is the place to post...sorry in advance.
    just got my bill 342.00 euro.usually our bill is 160.00 to 180.00.i realise there has been a recent increase in prices.my house is next to my dads house.he is retired always at home(minding grandchildren).me and my wife work all day.his bill was 172.00 euro this time.the meter reading is right.i just think there is something wrong.is this possible???????thanks in advance for info:)

If the meter is right, its right. Its extremely rare for a meter to be faulty. Was the previous reading an estimate?

The biggest cause is often heating, using the immersion etc for long periods of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

yes! we got a bill for 367.00!! outrage! estimation my hole! thats some feckin estimation alright!

for three people living in a duplex/townhouse who are out most of the day!

i want to read the meter but cant get in to the box! does ANYONE know where i can get a meter key?

I would have no problems at all with submitting our readings online because never in all my life have i ever ever got a bill that high in any of the places i lived or at home wither for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LIS

yes it was but it in itself was 140 ish.dont use the immersion have solid fuel fire that runs the central heating.no unusual usage.even considering it was under estimated last time its still double its norm.my father uses more power then us.i know this for a fact.his bill is always a bit higher then ours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

any good DIy shop should have meter keys

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

foggy_lad wrote: »
    any good DIy shop should have meter keys

Second that. Also a longnose pliers will do the trick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Thanks, il get on to it pronto.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭mirror mirror

They usually do it when the meter is inside the premises. If your meter is outside, you won't get a card.

(I got one onetime saying that my parked vehicle prevented the meter box from being accessed).
    got one of those cards even though from the gateway you can see the meter box on the gable end of the house ....too fcukin lazy to do his job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Mine was about the same as last year - 100 for 2 months. I paid 95 last year for the same period

Really, you might want to tell the last 6 houses and 6 new washing machines I've seen then, all cold only

So basically your statement is inaccurate, maybe not 100% incorrect but certainly misleading and inaccurate to people reading it.

I did say a large % so that could be 20% which is still large.

Whats stopping you submitting your meter reading to the ESB instead of relying on estimated bills?

I was just giving things as I experienced them and am happy enough as long as the meter gets read every now and then.

• Advertisement

davton wrote: »
    Second that. Also a longnose pliers will do the trick

You usually have to turn the key or pliers clockwise to open which is opposite to normal.

Advertisement