Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone gotten a bigger than usual esb bill?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I cant understand how people cant enter there own meter readings and then the bill will never be estimated. Its not hard!!!
    i cant understand how the esb meter reading section do not read all meters at least 4 times a year as indicated in their customer charter! my meter has been read only 3 times in the last two years and i am in a large town with an outdoor meter box. they have no excuse for not reading meters as they are being paid to provide this service so why should customers read the meter themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

foggy_lad wrote: »
    i cant understand how the esb meter reading section do not read all meters at least 4 times a year as indicated in their customer charter! my meter has been read only 3 times in the last two years and i am in a large town with an outdoor meter box. they have no excuse for not reading meters as they are being paid to provide this service so why should customers read the meter themselves?

Customer Charter
    Can you show me where it states anything relating to meter reading?

From the networks site regarding meter reading:
    Source
    An ESB Networks Meter Reader will call to your premises up to four times a year in order to read your meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

You should complain to ESB Networks at 1850372757. If the meter is outside and readily accessible - not obstructed in any way, no dog that may scare the reader, etc - then you are right: there is no excuse for not reading it 4 times a year. I would ask that the matter be investigated and an explanation be provided.

Regards,

Fnergg

hamsterboy wrote: »
    ....Got my bill today. Seemed pretty high.
    Examined it and noticed that it states that the previous reading was an estimate.....which it wasn't. If I miss the reader guy I ring in the reading that evening.
    So I rang them and was finally put through to a totally uninterested girl called Mary. I told her what had happened and she said "Oh the reading probably got lost in the system....it happens all the time!!!!
    Ok now stop me if it seems irrational but they have a service that allows you to ring in your reading and then they just ignore it and pluck a figure out of the air?????.....Cheers HB

I think Mary got hold of the wrong end of the stick somewhere.

Readings are not lost in the system.

Sometimes customers quote incorrect meter readings that cannot be used. Or, they phone in the readings too late to be used for the next billing. Mistakes can be made in inputting the MPRN - sometimes the fault of the meter reader who has to write the number on the No Access card left on the premises.

A reading may be correct but is so out of line with previous readings that it might not be used for billing purposes. In other words, the system assumes the reading to be incorrect because all such systems are programmed to expect a reading within a particular high/low range. When a reading falls outside that range it is noted for further investigation but is not used for the next bill in case it is incorrect.

The alternative would be to bill to whatever reading the customer submits. That would result in some ridiculous bills and so practically every utility with an automated meter reading system factors in reading parameters. Sometimes, even though the reading is perfectly valid, it will not be immediately used because it falls outside those parameters. Such situations are very rare.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

After four phone calls and taking the bill payment by direct debit out of my account even after reassuring me on two seperate occasions that it would not be debited, I rang again last Friday. I'm being given €25 for the debiting even though I'd been promised otherwise and the readings are finally right. The ESB meter guy got the readings wrong (very very wrong), the day reading was given as the night and the night reading was given as the day. Still waiting to get the new bill though so I'm cautiously optimistic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Fnergg wrote: »
    Sometimes customers quote incorrect meter readings that cannot be used. Or, they phone in the readings too late to be used for the next billing. Mistakes can be made in inputting the MPRN - sometimes the fault of the meter reader who has to write the number on the No Access card left on the premises.

A reading may be correct but is so out of line with previous readings that it might not be used for billing purposes. In other words, the system assumes the reading to be incorrect because all such systems are programmed to expect a reading within a particular high/low range. When a reading falls outside that range it is noted for further investigation but is not used for the next bill in case it is incorrect.

Regards,

Fnergg
    Hey Fnergg
    I hear what you're saying and understand but I rang in the reading no more than 2 hours after the guy was after calling so the reading they got was the one they would have gotten if someone had been home.
    It also for this reason could not have been received too late to be used in the next billing....
    I always use the MPRN as shown on my previous bill, as most of the meter readers seem to be Egyptian hieroglyphic enthusiasts in their spare time :)
    If you're telling me that customer readings " are not lost in the system" then I can only assume that they screwed up.
    Coure getting them to admit that is a futile exercise.
    As regards our Mary.
    She couldn't have been more ignorant. After she told me the reading was "lost in the system" I asked her, forgetting myself for a minute, did she not think that was $hite......she laughed and said "yeah it is!"
    :rolleyes:

HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There seems to be a very small window in which to submit a customer reading after you have been missed by the meter reader. I mean it can be under a couple of hours. It seems you only have the amount of time between being missed and the meter reader uploading his readings by modem.

Also in 7 years living in the same house I have only ever had one slip saying we were missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

A couple of different friends of mine have been recently complaining that they have gotten huge estimated esb bills.

One friend in particular pays on average of 120 euro but was charged 450 even though they hadn't been there all Christmas. They rang esb about five or six times before they would state that the bill was estimated and agreed to cancel it and read the meter.

The strange thing is I have heard several people complaining that they were overcharged by a lot. Is it just a coincidence or is there something going on with esb? I know that charges have gone up recently and Christmas has to be taken into account but it still seems ridiculous and unfair for people that are already finding times a little tough.

Be glad.. instead of giving me a bill they sent me a solicitors letter..
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055562880

Bond-007 wrote: »
    There seems to be a very small window in which to submit a customer reading after you have been missed by the meter reader. I mean it can be under a couple of hours. It seems you only have the amount of time between being missed and the meter reader uploading his readings by modem.

Thats not really the case. Officially you are meant to submit the reading within 24 hours, but if its significantly higher or lower than your actual meter reading they will update it. If they have issued you a bill already, then will send you a corrected bill where the first one will be void.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i changed over to bord gais and after paying off the final amount on the esb bill i received a letter form them demanding i pay the final €3.98. it said i would be pursued through legal grounds if i didnt pay it within 72 hours. i didnt recieve any other letters before this about the €3.98 so should i complain? i have paid the amount

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 artfreak

Does anyone use ESBs EASY PAY CARDS to pay into their ESB accounts, you dont get landed with a big bill at the end of two months. I got a couple of them for family as well to chip in, makes a big difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

artfreak wrote: »
    Does anyone use ESBs EASY PAY CARDS to pay into their ESB accounts, you dont get landed with a big bill at the end of two months. I got a couple of them for family as well to chip in, makes a big difference.

My mother and several friends use them and swear by them. Their bills are usally fully paid before the bill comes out and in Summer they build up a credit towards the larger Winter bills. It's handy.

My last bill was only €143; which for a large house with 2 adults 2 grown up children(adults really :)), electirc cooker, tumble dryer, showers, immersion heater, dishwasher etc is bloody good value in my book. I don't know how some people are claiming to have bills of €400+

• Registered Users Posts: 41 artfreak

I would be lost without it, any spare money goes on the Esb card and TV licence stamps, just wondering if Eircom have the same facility, its a sign of the times isnt it.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

My mother and several friends use them and swear by them. Their bills are usally fully paid before the bill comes out and in Summer they build up a credit towards the larger Winter bills. It's handy.

I do that for Gas and its dead handy.
    srameen wrote:
    My last bill was only €143; which for a large house with 2 adults 2 grown up children(adults really :)), electirc cooker, tumble dryer, showers, immersion heater, dishwasher etc is bloody good value in my book. I don't know how some people are claiming to have bills of €400+

Our last one was €174 for 9 weeks and no stinginess on the cooker, washer, dryer (goddamn rain), gadgets etc.

We keep a close eye on the immersion and I've a feeling thats why folk are running up massive bills - someone flicks on the immersion in the morning and forgets about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Davy wrote: »
    Customer Charter
    Can you show me where it states anything relating to meter reading?

According to the Energy Regulator, they read the meter 4 times a year, and estimate twice. It doesn't say if that's an absolute requirement, or just a target.
    i changed over to bord gais and after paying off the final amount on the esb bill i received a letter form them demanding i pay the final €3.98. it said i would be pursued through legal grounds if i didnt pay it within 72 hours. i didnt recieve any other letters before this about the €3.98 so should i complain? i have paid the amount

I presume you ignored them.

Avoid getting large electricity bills by:

(a) checking the actual meter reading against the estimate. If there is a significant difference - say, 100 units or so - contact your supplier and ask for an amended bill based on your own reading. Every electricity bill is clearly marked if it is an estimate so you have only yourself to blame if you ignore estimates because at some stage an actual reading will be obtained and you will then be billed for an accumulated usage i.e a large bill.

(b) be careful with your usage. If you have an immersion, switch it on about 30 mins before you need hot water and then switch it off. Make sure the tank is properly lagged. Leaving the immersion switched on all the time is just plain stupid. Use CFL bulbs rather than conventional ones. Switch off lights if not needed. Never use a plug-in heater for more than 30 mins or so - just enough to heat up a room. Use only full loads in washing machines, tumbler dryers and dishwashers. Etc. Look, it's not rocket science -it's common sense.

(c) consider making regular payments towards your next bill. For example, ESB now has an option to make Laser payments on their website: https://www.esb.ie/esbcustomersupply/residential/your_account/pay/startPayInit.do. Paying, say, €20 a week is relatively painless and will mean the bill, when it arrives, will be mostly paid off.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭oranjeboom

I cant understand all the fuss about meter readings. Ive signed up for the e-billing thing and its great. You can keep track of you bills and you can input a meter reading on the net. No more phone calls to the meter reading service and tyring to get to grips with the computer thingy. Its grand you can track your units used too.

Avoid getting large electricity bills by:
    making a complaint to ESB Networks if they continually estimate your bills as they are responsible for reading your meter even if you have switched to a different supplier. they should not be allowed water down their responsibility to read the meter at least 4 times a year as this is a service every electricity user is paying a high premium for!

making a complaint to ESB Networks if they continually estimate your bills as they are responsible for reading your meter even if you have switched to a different supplier. they should not be allowed water down their responsibility to read the meter at least 4 times a year as this is a service every electricity user is paying a high premium for!

I don't think they are watering down their responsibility. As far as I know, they have actually increased their success rate in getting frequent actual reads over the last few years.

However, if you have an outside meter and there are no obstacles (gates, dogs, etc) to stop the reader accessing it, and you are getting continuous estimates, you should certainly complain to ESB Networks at 1850372757. In the meantime though, make sure you submit your own reading and update the bill.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I don't get what you are saying here. Continually estimating (more than 3 times a year) when you have an outside meter then fair enough. I had a problem a few years ago, phoned them and they said the meter reader reported a locked gate. I expalined that the only locked gate was on the dog run and access was possible around the other side of the house. End of problem! Complaints about estimates if they can't get access are not their problem. Give them a reading. What are they watering down? And what is the high premium? You pay a small standing charge but that covers an awful lot more than Meter Reading. They are not contractually, or otherwise, bound to read your meter 4 times a year. If you have many repeated estimates a quick call will explain why and sort it out - unless of course it's because you are never there and they need to gain access.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I got a very large bill one month and when I queried it, I was told that the prevous 4 bills had been estimated and this one was bringing it up to date.

Then they told me that the reason it wasn't read more frequently is because the reader cited 'dangerous dog' on her call sheet. I don't have a dog and mentioned this to the customer service rep, who then said that my gates were also locked. I don't have gates:o.

I asked to speak to a supervisor who eventually told me that there hadn't been a meter reader in my area for the last 6 months. I went on a bit of a rant and got them to knock €50 off the back money and spread the difference over the next 3 bills.

I am now with Bord Gais and I got a letter from ESB this morning advising that I am due a €9.63 refund to close my account. I don't mind if someone tries to hack in to my account using the information on the stolen laptop, they can't do any worse then Mrs Oldyouth

oldyouth wrote: »
    ....I asked to speak to a supervisor who eventually told me that there hadn't been a meter reader in my area for the last 6 months. I went on a bit of a rant and got them to knock €50 off the back money and spread the difference over the next 3 bills....

The ESB were very generous! I can't imagine Bord Gais or Airtricity giving you *anything* off the account in similar circumstances.

It sometimes happens that when a contract meter reader (in rural areas ESB Networks readers are not staff - they are employed on contract only) decides that he/she no longer wants to do the job there can be a time gap before a new one is taken on.

That is becasue it can be very difficult to get new readers especially if it's a scattered rural area as the financial return for the reader might not be that great given the travelling involved.

In fairness, such situations are very rare and vacancies for new readers are few and far between. The usual reasons for estimates are non access due to dogs, locked gates and the like.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

The ESB were very generous! I can't imagine Bord Gais or Airtricity giving you *anything* off the account in similar circumstances.
    You have to rant productively. I never shout or scream. I plan my argument in advance and then make the call. I used the fact that they lied about attempting to read my meter and when they start to squirm, you ask for something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 simonbyrneno.4

Hey guys,

just looking into a couple of things as i'm moving outta home and into my own place. i'm just wondering what the average esb bill for a two person household would be? Trying to work out budgets and things like that. thanks for the help

It sometimes happens that when a contract meter reader (in rural areas ESB Networks readers are not staff - they are employed on contract only) decides that he/she no longer wants to do the job there can be a time gap before a new one is taken on.

That is becasue it can be very difficult to get new readers especially if it's a scattered rural area as the financial return for the reader might not be that great given the travelling involved.

In fairness, such situations are very rare and vacancies for new readers are few and far between. The usual reasons for estimates are non access due to dogs, locked gates and the like.

Regards,

Fnergg
    more like the readers are not being taken on by esb networks to cut down on costs, my meter was only read 3times in the last 2 years and has never been blocked by anything or protected by any dog or other animal, maybe the reader was afraid the sky dish above the meter box would fall on their head? but back to the estimates which were based on usage history........which was non-existant as it is a new house, so what part of the sky were the esb pulling my estimated readings from?

there is no excuse for not doing the job properly especially in the current climate and i have already made a written complaint to esb networks which resulted in the meter reader calling to my door to inform me that he had just read the meter as there was a complaint made, which i am not happy about as he had no esb identification at all and could have been anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

oranjeboom wrote: »
    I cant understand all the fuss about meter readings. Ive signed up for the e-billing thing and its great. You can keep track of you bills and you can input a meter reading on the net. No more phone calls to the meter reading service and tyring to get to grips with the computer thingy. Its grand you can track your units used too.

brilliant isnt it?!! everyone should invest in a esb cabinet key and read their own metres - no more estimates then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

dlambirl wrote: »
    brilliant isnt it?!! everyone should invest in a esb cabinet key and read their own metres - no more estimates then!!

where can one obtain such keys ?

voxpop wrote: »

Hardware store, or from esb networks.

One is supplied with every meter cabinet but they seem to all go missing :rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

voxpop wrote: »

Bord Gais will post one out to you if asked (they used to).

• Advertisement

Davy wrote: »
    Hardware store, or from esb networks.

One is supplied with every meter cabinet but they seem to all go missing :rolleyes:

The meter cabinet is not ESB property. It is supplied by the builder of the house who is supposed to provide the owner with a key. That almost never happens.

Regards,

Fnergg

Advertisement