Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullets in the Wind 17's and 22's all rimfire! Different reports!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,358 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Actually thats a good idea, a shooting theory thread might be useful,
    i know nothing beats actually trying it, and some just get out and learn,

but i myself prefere to get as much theory in, one tip early, can save months of trying to break a bad habit

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Sparks wrote: »
    Of course, in the end the maths doesn't really matter too much, you can learn to aim off or correct with sights without needing to be able to solve fluid mechanics' stochastic differential equations in your head!

Thank F**k for that, I ran out of steam at second order partial differentiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Tacking this onto the thread, would it be safe to assume, given the bullet weight, that the .17 is pretty useless with a moderator?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

kowloon wrote: »
    Tacking this onto the thread, would it be safe to assume, given the bullet weight, that the .17 is pretty useless with a moderator?

What do you mean? Why would the moderator make a difference?

The .17 is much higher velocity than .22, a subsonic .17 would be rather weak wouldn't it?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

this thread has reinforced my belief that maths nerds (Guilty) are irristably attracted to shooting due to the complex maths involved, thats what I keep telling the wife anyways:rolleyes: good thread, well done lads.

I don't know of any subsonic .17hmr (open to correction),
    But a moderator would still have a benefit when used with a regular round

Wouldn't you still get a mighty old crack with full velocity ammo?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Wouldn't you still get a mighty old crack with full velocity ammo?

The moderator will reduce the muzzle blast but the bullet will still create a sonic boom as it travels from the rifle to the target.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/sound_moderators.htm

it wouldn't be silent (damn hollywood), but the dB level would be reduced to a safer range

• Advertisement

sfakiaman wrote: »
    The moderator will reduce the muzzle blast but the bullet will still create a sonic boom as it travels from the rifle to the target.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/sound_moderators.htm

Exactly, the crack, so what would be the point in a .17 moderator without subsonics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Exactly, the crack, so what would be the point in a .17 moderator without subsonics?
    The same as with the use of moderators with fullbore rifles, they significantly reduce the muzzle blast, which is a worthwhile end in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Speaking from personal experience it cuts down on the crack quite a bit. When I first got mine I did not use any ear protection for a session of zeroing in and target practice result sore dull ache in the ears for a day or so after. With the moderator on it does cut down on sound significantly however if you are shooting in a confined area the sound level seems to increase that little bit more. Would recommend a mod for anyone who has a .17HMR or who is thinking about getting one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

so after all the mathematical mayhem can some one clearly out line which round is best suited for winds of X at ranges of Y.

rrpc; I understand the rise or fall caused by rpm and wind direction but i have yet to see a ballistics program that computes for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I think you'd have to give values of X and Y for even an attempt at that kind of answer ivan...

up till now i have been assuming hmr vs lr but lets even up the scales in the velocity dept. and compare something like 22-250 vs a 17fireball.
    I know that any long range varmint hunter will instantly dismiss the 17fireball as it can not compete with the heavier 22-250 round in the wind.

At this moment in time the max effective range of a 22lr in my hands would be 100 yards so there no point in comparing the hmr at any further ranges even though it is capable of more.

I'll going to run a hmr through my ballistics program for 5,15 & 25 mph wind and observe the deviation at 25,50,75 & 100 yards and compare it to a 22lr through the same program.:D when i get a chance (on holidays with my new wife!!:rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

rrpc; I understand the rise or fall caused by rpm and wind direction but i have yet to see a ballistics program that computes for this!

Well how many have you purchased?

The cheap online ones will probably not do it for you. Anyone use the Nightforce one, that seems popular for extreme range stuff.

Even then there are so many other things on the list before you get to this.

Accuracy of rifle
    Consistency of ammunition
    Shooter technique, cant etc

For your average hunter it would be pointless, in fact for the average rimfire shooter i'd say its pointless as the ammo is mass produced. So ivan I'd say you don't have to worry about it.

Vegeta wrote: »
    Well how many have you purchased?

The cheap online ones will probably not do it for you. Anyone use the Nightforce one, that seems popular for extreme range stuff.

Even then there are so many other things on the list before you get to this.

Accuracy of rifle
    Consistency of ammunition
    Shooter technique, cant etc

For your average hunter it would be pointless, in fact for the average rimfire shooter i'd say its pointless as the ammo is mass produced. So ivan I'd say you don't have to worry about it.

I might not have to worry about it but i like to know about it! and TBH the technical side of rifle shooting is as interesting as the practical.
    Also i have never bought a ballistic program but some of the the online stuff is perfectly good enough for me at the moment.

Advertisement