Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Government ?

Options
  • 14-02-2009 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Did anyone see Brendan Gleeson on The Late Late suggesting a National Government ?

What would it take for this to happen ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

he came across as very lucid and I agree we dont want to be made to look like fools for our decisions to live here, however I dont see that a national gov will make any difference , its the same "gene pool". The last thing we need is more power going to the state

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

To form a national government to see us through this crises would take a lot of balls, guts and leadership on behalf of Brian Cowen.

It is actually what is needed from the political class to help get us out of this mess. What is required is a non-partisan effort akin to the British World War Two government where the nation pulls together in the face of destruction.

I for one would breathe a sigh of relief if Cowen fired Leneihan in Finance and installed Richard Bruton as his successor. And I am nowhere near a FG voter but I feel at this moment it would be the right thing to do and it would send out a message that he can leave party politics aside and make gutsy, ballsy decisions to help us avoid the mess that lies ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

RATM wrote: »
    To form a national government to see us through this crises would take a lot of balls, guts and leadership on behalf of Brian Cowen.

It is actually what is needed from the political class to help get us out of this mess. What is required is a non-partisan effort akin to the British World War Two government where the nation pulls together in the face of destruction.

I for one would breathe a sigh of relief if Cowen fired Leneihan in Finance and installed Richard Bruton as his successor. And I am nowhere near a FG voter but I feel at this moment it would be the right thing to do and it would send out a message that he can leave party politics aside and make gutsy, ballsy decisions to help us avoid the mess that lies ahead.

You're in the realms of fantasy land there i'm afraid. Politicans rarely if ever give up the power that they have won. We will have to wait until after the next general election to see FF and their many incompetent ministers in opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Muggy Dev

Kevin Myers,in a chilling article,called for it in yesterdays indo....here,

http://tinyurl.com/bzmdue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Why have a national government?
    It's bad enough our two largest parties have the same ideology.
    But to have a grand coalition with no opposition, things would only get worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 gpk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

A National Government would probably do us more harm than good. Can you imagine Ireland's international reputation? We would be seen as a basket case who are willing to dilute our democratic principles at the first sign of trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

We don't need a National Government, we need a GENERAL ELECTION!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gpk

But who would you vote for ?

Do we need people with 'common sense' like paul mooney, mick wallace, eamonn dunphy, david mc williams, kevin meyers and brendan gleeson to wade in ?

or the guys behind wearethetaxpayers.com politics for the d-generation (digital).

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

sure what we have as a government here is as close to a national government we will ever have......one thing is for sure there is no real opposition to begin with.

this country need a political re-do, the countrys politics is steeped in political dynastys and cliques. who only plan to serve themselves and the money classes.

wait and see the harsh arm of the state lash out its full fury when people attempt to hold them (government) accountable for there gross mis-management of our countrys finances and the gross negligence they have shown towards there people both democraticly as we seen in Lisbon, and in regards there duty to run the country correctly in regards infrastructure.

i pray for the day the ordinary man/woman in the street stops whining and complaining and starts acting in the intrests of there nation and the future of there children and brings this corrupt state to an accountable judgment, followed by the establishment of a Governance truly representative of the nation of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

RATM wrote: »

He would be far more ballsey if he admitted that whilst minister of finance under the greasy git from Drumcondra he helped create this mess by fanning the property bubble.

Why should FF still be in any government ?
    They helped get us into this mess, they have done shag all to alleviate it or fix it, in fact they have helped make it worse by trying to protect their biggest supporters, the developers and their bankers.

I passed Galway racecourse yesterday and to me it is where the seeds of this entire mess were sown, during the last week in July over a period of 5 odd years.

Here is quesiton for anyone proposing national government.
    Do you condone the failures of FF ministers, the turning a blind eye to corruption from prominent members, the backing prominent members who display unethical behaviour, the setup of tax schemes to help make rich party supporters even richer whilst lumping normal people with huge long term debt, the wastage of public funds on hair brained schemes, the destruction of our health service, the wastage of public money on ministers and junior ministers junkets, and the total lack of responsibility when things go wrong.

And these are only some of what they have imflicted on the Irish people over the last 12 years.

If you condone all of the above, then continue to vote for FF and/or campaign for them to be part of a national government.

Otherwise campaign for a change :mad:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

gpk wrote: »
    Do we need people with 'common sense' like paul mooney, mick wallace, eamonn dunphy, david mc williams, kevin meyers and brendan gleeson to wade in ?
    I'm guessing that's a joke? The term "common sense" does not belong in the same sentence as names like Eamon Dunphy and Kevin Myers.
    jmayo wrote: »
    Why should FF still be in any government ?
    Because they were elected. Three times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

One good thing from the American system is that a Democrat can pick good Republicans in his Cabinet and vice-versa - this way you get the best talents available for a specific policy area.

I'd like to see the same here with Bruton as Finance Minister, Gilmore as Justice (or another high position) etc

It won't happen, of course, coz Fianna Fail are addicted to power after 12 years in Gov.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

K4t wrote: »
    We don't need a National Government, we need a GENERAL ELECTION!

Why exactly? It would further destabialise the country and shift valuable focus away from fixing the problems in the State when they're most needed. Yes, I probably will not vote FF in the next general election but having an election now sends another bad message out imo. Remember 1981 to 1982, what was it 3 or 4 elections, im not sure I wasn't born. Didn't do us any good back then from what i've read. Now something along the lines of the Tallaght Strategy is badly needed, we need to stop bringing politics into essentially a economic problem. Also we need the unions to cop the **** on.

That is all!

Advertisement