Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Mapping Software

Options
  • 14-02-2009 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,
    I've been looking for the past day (for hours) for a program that will simply allow me to keep track of routes without the need for an internet connection or anything else.

All I need is a map I can zoom in on and see all my points at the same time and if possible, be able to route each one individually and see all the routes in different colours for example.

Google earth isn't an option as you need to be connected to the net to zoom in and pan etc, I've tried loads of programs with no luck yet.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 260 and apparantly there is a thing called mapsource that lets you do this, but I didn't get any CD's with my Nuvi so I'm not sure how I can go about this and get my garmin maps on my PC to use?

If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it. I just need Europe (Ire and UK mainly).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭garydubh

cormie wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I've been looking for the past day (for hours) for a program that will simply allow me to keep track of routes without the need for an internet connection or anything else.

All I need is a map I can zoom in on and see all my points at the same time and if possible, be able to route each one individually and see all the routes in different colours for example.

Google earth isn't an option as you need to be connected to the net to zoom in and pan etc, I've tried loads of programs with no luck yet.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 260 and apparantly there is a thing called mapsource that lets you do this, but I didn't get any CD's with my Nuvi so I'm not sure how I can go about this and get my garmin maps on my PC to use?

If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it. I just need Europe (Ire and UK mainly).

Yes it is Garmin Mapsource Europe NT 2009 you require - it is not supplied with most SatNav's - but contains all the same map detail - runs on your PC and you can find addresses - work out routes and upload/download to/from your SatNav. Costs with all Europe mapping around 180 euros and without mapping just main roads and outlines but with upload/download functions it is called Trip & Wayoint Manager for aroun Euro40.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the reply. Can you please just confirm that if I do get it, that I'll be able to view all points at the one time, so I can see a map of Ireland for example with 20 different routes (or pins) on it as opposed to having to select and open each individual route to view it.

Is there any discount/other option for those who own a nuvi already since I've already paid for full Europe maps on my sat nav, meaning they ARE on my satnav and I just need to get them to the PC somehow?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

email garmin, if ya got the maps ya should get mapsource free

guil07 wrote: »
    email garmin, if ya got the maps ya should get mapsource free

Not the case I'm afraid and you should avoid giving advice when you do not know facts!! - mapping on your SatNav does not give you any rights to mapping on your PC - unless you buy ceratin devices which include Mapsource as well.

Cormie, You can view all routes on the map and select one for zooming in. As for discount shop around on the web but there is no discount just for having a SatNav - but ask your SatNav supplier!

That's great about the viewing all routes and selecting them, can you add notes about the routes too or even give them names? Even if you could just give them a name that you could add a little note in the name :)

Something like this would be ideal:

87973044ms1.jpg

• Advertisement

Not exactly the same - something like this:

bayrun%20bantry%20may2009.jpg

That still looks good, thanks for the screenshot :) Are the yellow and green routes two different routes with different notes on each one?

As long as I can see all the flags on the map of all the routes at once and add little notes it's all I need I think!

That still looks good, thanks for the screenshot :) Are the yellow and green routes two different routes with different notes on each one?

As long as I can see all the flags on the map of all the routes at once and add little notes it's all I need I think!

You can put any colour on any route - when selected it goes yellow - BayRun is selected on Left - Properties can be viewed - and add your own notes for each route

Sounds just like what I need, thanks a mill for the help :)

Bit pricey though considering I've already technically paid for the maps :(

Now I wonder is there a way to get a sidebar application for it that will show it like this that you can just click and it'll pop up :P

Sounds just like what I need, thanks a mill for the help :)

Bit pricey though considering I've already technically paid for the maps :(

Now I wonder is there a way to get a sidebar application for it that will show it like this that you can just click and it'll pop up :P

Maps Have copyright and a license defines where you can use them - you currently only have a license to run them on a SatNav......

Oh didn't realise you had a shopping list of requirements - Can't help you any further on this...........................

• Advertisement

Ah right, didn't know that about the license, that's unfortunate.

The sidebar thing is just me being finicky :pac:

Thanks again for the help!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You can use alternative free versions of maps within the Mapsource program, such as the OSM ones. It will mean that your looking at slightly different maps when compared with your GPS unit, but may do for your needs.

The Mapsource application can be downloaded from the Garmin website, you'll have to jump through some hoops inorder to get it to install though as the new versions only seem to install if you already have a previous one installed on your PC.

robinph wrote: »
    You can use alternative free versions of maps within the Mapsource program, such as the OSM ones. It will mean that your looking at slightly different maps when compared with your GPS unit, but may do for your needs.

The Mapsource application can be downloaded from the Garmin website, you'll have to jump through some hoops inorder to get it to install though as the new versions only seem to install if you already have a previous one installed on your PC.

Of course you can update the Mapsource Programme (without Maps) from the web - but only as you say if you have it already installed - so just a question of installing Mapsource with the required Maps from somewhere -usually you purchase goods that you want to use - unless you are suggesting breaching copyright in some way?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

If you bought your GPS towards the end of 2008 you're entitled to a free 2009.1 map update.
    Once you run the update it installs mapsource and updates your GPS device automatically.
    Its a 3GB download mind.

5uspect wrote: »
    If you bought your GPS towards the end of 2008 you're entitled to a free 2009.1 map update.
    Once you run the update it installs mapsource and updates your GPS device automatically.
    Its a 3GB download mind.

If you have Mapsource installed - it will update its Mapping as well as mapping on your Device - and only if your device has 2008 version mapping and is entitled to the update.

It will not install maps on your PC if you do not already have them.

If you want free Mapping use MapPoint, Google Maps, Google Earth, Mapquest, Yahoo Maps or Map24 - all free to use off the Web.

If you want mapping on your PC - you can get Mapsource with Full Europe Mapping in the box if you buy a Zumo or alternatively buy the road dataset directly from Navteq - costs around €20,000 plus annual update fees and you will need GIS software to handle it costing a few more hundred Euros.

If there is doubt as to why Map data is not free particularly here in Ireland - have a read of this post

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The way to get the maps on your PC without paying for the full CD version is to have any version of MapSource already installed on your PC while you're doing an upgrade to the Nuvi, the upgrade process will see that you have MapSource on the PC and will install a copy of the new maps on the PC, I have done this several times and it works a dream. I don't actually have a Nuvi with the 2009 maps because my upgrade to 2008 was free and I'm not prepared to pay for a one step upgrade but a friend of mine was entitled to a free upgrade so I did the upgrade for her and as a result, I now have the 2009 maps on my PC.

As mentioned in an earlier post, the cheapest way to get MapSource used to be the Trips & Waypoints Manager CD which was previously supplied for free with Nuvis but not any more. However it still exists but is hard to find on the Garmin website because they'd prefer you to buy the full maps but you can see it here and it's only 30 dollars......

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=664&pvID=1951

What you get with this product is a fairly basic map of the whole world but you'll have the ability to upload and download waypoints and next time you upgrade the maps on your Nuvi you'll have a copy of the same maps on the PC as well at which stage you can do route planning on the PC.

garydubh wrote: »
    Not the case I'm afraid and you should avoid giving advice when you do not know facts!! - mapping on your SatNav does not give you any rights to mapping on your PC - unless you buy ceratin devices which include Mapsource as well.

Cormie, You can view all routes on the map and select one for zooming in. As for discount shop around on the web but there is no discount just for having a SatNav - but ask your SatNav supplier!
    i have a nuvi 200w and when i updated the maps i got mapsource aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

guil07 wrote: »
    i have a nuvi 200w and when i updated the maps i got mapsource aswell

You must have had a version of MapSource already on the PC, the upgrade by itself does not install either MapSource or the maps themselves on the PC if there is no version of MapSource already there before you start the upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

coylemj wrote: »
    You must have had a version of MapSource already on the PC, the upgrade by itself does not install either MapSource or the maps themselves on the PC if there is no version of MapSource already there before you start the upgrade.

This statement is totally incorrect, when you update a Garmin unit via the online updater it is the full Map Source program that you download and install on the PC and then update the unit from that. Did two units receintly and that is exactly how it worked both times and I now have two copies of Map Source installed on two different machines with the full maps available.

MC

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Same here. I did a 255W (for teh parents) last year and a 250W for myself only this weekend.

I had uninstalled mapsource et al after the first one. Both times the map update from 2008 to 2009 installed mapsource.

coylemj wrote: »
    no never even heard of mapsource until i updated my maps
    since then i have it on my pc

Advertisement