Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concrete Floor Question,

Options
  • 14-02-2009 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Have to put in a small concrete floor 10 x 8 , because of the location wheel-barrowing or even pumping ready mix is out of the question , also trying to get the materials in place to hand mix is again a non runner (nightmare)
    Have 2 choices
    1 Get ready mix delivered and use buckets to complete move.
    or
    2 which I am hoping , Is there such a thing as Ready to Go Bags of Cement just add water type of produce available . If so anybody got brand name they would recommend.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Feet or metres :P ?
    You could do all the dry mixing somewhere else, bring the mixed dry ingredients to where the floor is needed then do the water addition? Even if you could get "just add water" bags, you'd still need to mix it thoroughly prior to laying it in the floor location.

Also, someone is bound to say, you can get ready mixed bags of cement, it might be bags of concrete ingredients you're looking for....

If access is as tough as you say, buckets might well be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Prenderb wrote: »
    Feet or metres :P ?
    You could do all the dry mixing somewhere else, bring the mixed dry ingredients to where the floor is needed then do the water addition? Even if you could get "just add water" bags, you'd still need to mix it thoroughly prior to laying it in the floor location.

Also, someone is bound to say, you can get ready mixed bags of cement, it might be bags of concrete ingredients you're looking for....

If access is as tough as you say, buckets might well be the way to go.

FEET

dry mixing outside and adding water later would be a hell of alot more time consuming /awkward than just bucketing ready mix , at least with the ready mix I would have less work at floor location.

Yes was looking for concrete mix bags .
    But (thinking outloud)
    Would ready mixed bags of Cement (strength wise) be enough to take foot traffic only . Finish floor will have very little traffic

My simple fix was to use pre-mixed bags ,add water ,mix , spread and float at/in floor location.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Hi All

Have to put in a small concrete floor 10 x 8 , because of the location wheel-barrowing or even pumping ready mix is out of the question , also trying to get the materials in place to hand mix is again a non runner (nightmare)
    Have 2 choices
    1 Get ready mix delivered and use buckets to complete move.
    or
    2 which I am hoping , Is there such a thing as Ready to Go Bags of Cement just add water type of produce available . If so anybody got brand name they would recommend.

Thanks in advance.

I pity you! :P, buckets! That's gonna be a fair bit of hauling! I assume the floor is a few inches thick, so you'd be talking about a metre, maybe less of readymix? Is a wheelbarrow out of the question even?

Dont know how it works where you are, but here you only get about 30mins with the readymix truck, after that they start changing extra!! :rolleyes:

I dont understand this 'ready to go bags of cement, just add water', you'll still have a certain degree of mixing to do and I dont see how this'd be any easier than just getting a ton bag of sand, a few bags of cement and mixing by hand. Personally I've never heard of such 'just add water' :p bags of cement here although I have seen some on youtube where there had a special plastic sack, they put in the cement/sand proportions, added the water, sealed the bag, caught the back by each end and tipped it from one side to the other! :cool:

But yeah, its a nightmare alright, seems as if you are doing a job in one of the most awkward places ever!! :P

Advertisement