Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

savage mark 2

Options
  • 14-02-2009 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

hey my brother is looking at getting one of these:

http://www.savagearms.com/markiigl.htm

iv never heard of them, does anyone knwo what they are like or know anyone that has one and can tell me what they are like?

are they accurate? reliable? and snags with them?

my bro thank you in advance for any info provided.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Haven't shot that particular model, but have shot the thumbhole varmint version in .17HMR and I was extremely impressed.

I've heard complaints as to the simple, unaesthetically pleasing look of the action, but honestly, I don't know what they're on about. It's simple, and frighteningly accurate. The stocks aren't reknowned for being pretty or noteworthy, but the thumbhole one I shot was a good looking bit of kit as well, whatever about the rest of their products, and most importantly, was laserbeam accurate at 100 yards.

They've been described as "agricultural", but some of their models are actually quite pleasing to the eye, and for solidity and accuracy you could do a whole lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

hey my brother is looking at getting one of these:

http://www.savagearms.com/markiigl.htm

iv never heard of them, does anyone knwo what they are like or know anyone that has one and can tell me what they are like?

are they accurate? reliable? and snags with them?

my bro thank you in advance for any info provided.

I have that model - it's the left hand model - but the one I have was bought about 4 years ago and didn't have the accu-trigger then.

As regards the rifles performance it is extremely accurate out to about 120 yards (that's my max. shooting range!) straight out of the box. I've never had any bother with it - I find that before you bring it out that if you give the bolt the lightest wipe of an oily cloth then it performs flawlessly without jams or other problems.

It is one of the cheapest rifles available in left hand model .....you still pay about €30 extra for left handed new.....and very accurate into the bargain.

As I mainly use a shotgun for shooting and just wanted a .22 for plinking and some rabbit shooting in the summer this suited my needs and I'm very pleased with it and have no regrets.

It doesn't bother me but but if I had to pull the rifle up on something it would be the safety. Works perfect but in appearance it can look basic..like a piece of metal bent in a hook ...but it does it's job so I'm happy with it.

The savage accu-trigger has got some great reviews .....do a search to read more.

[IMG][/img]home_made_rifle_stand.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

J.R. wrote: »
    I have that model - it's the left hand model - but the one I have was bought about 4 years ago and didn't have the accu-trigger then.

As regards the rifles performance it is extremely accurate out to about 120 yards (that's my max. shooting range!) straight out of the box. I've never had any bother with it - I find that before you bring it out that if you give the bolt the lightest wipe of an oily cloth then it performs flawlessly without jams or other problems.

It is one of the cheapest rifles available in left hand model .....you still pay about €30 extra for left handed new.....and very accurate into the bargain.

As I mainly use a shotgun for shooting and just wanted a .22 for plinking and some rabbit shooting in the summer this suited my needs and I'm very pleased with it and have no regrets.

It doesn't bother me but but if I had to pull the rifle up on something it would be the safety. Works perfect but in appearance it can look basic..like a piece of metal bent in a hook ...but it does it's job so I'm happy with it.

The savage accu-trigger has got some great reviews .....do a search to read more.

[IMG][/img]home_made_rifle_stand.jpg

what sight have you got on your rifle there?

i was looking at the accu trigger in the shop with my brother and i have to say it was nice......next to no pull on it at all! he looking to do just target with it so if its as accurate as you say this could suit him down to the ground.

it comes with a 3-9 x 40 sight and moderater and a set of uncie mikes swivles.

The scope is a Simmons Prohunter 6.5 - 24 X 50 AO

I had a 3-9 X 50 Simmons scope on it but found I needed greater magnification for plinking and long distance rabbits.........I usually leave the scope now at 12 or 14 magnification.

I also have a Mueller scope with IR light ....4 - 25 X 50 AO with sunshade ..........a friend mounting it slightly crushed the barrel. It works perfect if left at one setting e.g. 12X 14X or whatever but if you keep moving it from say 4X up to 25X it can sometimes jam for a few minutes...otherwise very accurate.........I'm using the Simmons as it's not as long on the gun.

You're in Dublin as well...if you're brother purchases and wants to try the Mueller he's welcome to put it on the rifle for a week or two and if happy with it then he can pay me ...if not just return it!

It would give him a chance to get started in the sport without huge outlay.

MUELLER SCOPE

rifle-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The Accutrigger is a beaut right out of the box, and can be improved on, so it's definitely a gem of an investment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I'm thinking of getting a Savage but can't seem to find any dealers that stock any.

So please tell me who does stock a range of Savage rifles??

clivej wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting a Savage but can't seem to find any dealers that stock any.

So please tell me who does stock a range of Savage rifles??

I bought mine from Steve in:
    Tallaght Rod & Gun,
    Unit 2,
    Castletymon Shopping Centre
    Tallaght
    Dublin 22

01 3526522
    087 2445022

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

J.R. wrote: »
    I bought mine from Steve in:
    Tallaght Rod & Gun,
    Unit 2,
    Castletymon Shopping Centre
    Tallaght
    Dublin 22

01 3526522
    087 2445022

how much is rod and gun selling them for? i never checked him.

how much is rod and gun selling them for? i never checked him.

I paid €420 a few years ago new for left hand.........the right hand model was €385 new.......don't know what price they are now.

Stakelums Firearms,
    New Rd.,
    Urlingford,
    Kilkenny
    056 8831018, 087 4131799

is selling a left hand .22LR Anchutz in this months 'Irish Shooters Digest', page 4..........I'd also check this out to see what price he's looking for and what condition it's in.
    He also has some Savage rifles ...17 & 308 ......for sale so may stock all models.

Advertisement