Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy Tenant?

Options
  • 14-02-2009 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,
    I am a landlord and have a small problem. I recently had a new tenant move into an apartment I own and since then she has told me that she has been having problems with the person living in the apartment under her. She is being accused of being noisy but the noise she is complaining of is that she is walking around the apartment late at night (she has a one year old kid so she does be up with him). What I need to know is legally is she able to somehow get her kicked out of my apartment via the management company as she is an owner occupier. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Fionn23

Noise complaints from residential premises are currently dealt with through the dstrict court system. the management company would have to go through that route and would have no power to evict someone on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Moved to Accomodation/Property where the folks might know more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

quickedge wrote: »
    She is being accused of being noisy but the noise she is complaining of is that she is walking around the apartment late at night (she has a one year old kid so she does be up with him).

Do you have wooden floors in the apartment? If so, perhaps you should carpet the property in order to reduce the noise.

Myself and my partner rent a second floor apartment. New tenants moved in above us a few months ago and the noise was suddenly unreal. The only thing we can think of is that the carpet was taken up and wooden floors put down. We can hear every footstep, every tap, every dropped fork, and when you're trying to sleep it can be a nightmare. Parties at the weekend are ridiculous. The tenants there before often had parties and while we'd hear some music we never heard banging on the floor...there are times where you can hear music (if our balcony door is open) and you can then hear someone tapping their foot to the music really, really loudly. From the other tenants point of view, it's not fun.

I can't help with whether or not they can get your tenant removed, but my advice would be to find out if there is anything you can do an the owner of the property to reduce the noise.

Advertisement