Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Improving a 30 year old home!!

• 14-02-2009 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

After a cold winter now seems to be the time to do something about improving the heating efficiency of our home.

It's a 30 year old, 2 storey 4-bed house with no cavity wall insulation, oil heating and a back boiler connected to one of the fireplaces and single glazed windows.

Could anyone suggest any approaches we could take? I'm all for pumped insulation but is it possible to just do a portion of the house or would it be pointless? Also a particularly cold area is the kitchen as the stove no longer works and there are no radiators. Ideally we would like to replace the entire pumping system in the house but it's not an option at the moment. Is there anything apart from under floor heating for the likes of a kitchen area that you wouldn't be putting down carpet on.

I know upgrading the windows to double glazing would make a huge difference but we are fond of the current ones, is there any way to modify them without having to change them entirely.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Just on the point of insulating part of the house - it would be a waste of money. Have a think of what you actually need and then look around for prices.

There will be grants available shortly for insulating homes but they are currently compiling a list of approved installers and will release details later. You can check out the details here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Subscribing because I'm in the same boat.

Thanks for the link muffler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Moira, Imax,

as you seem to be embarking on energy improvement programme for your homes, I would suggest that the first thing you do is to get the advice of an experienced independent energy consultant who can survey your houses (air tightness, thermal imaging, heating system efficiency/control etc...) and give you a comprehensive report on where you should spend your money. For a small investment you can be confident that the work you are having done will actually achieve the end result. You will also know what to look out for in choosing a particular contractor and what questions to ask.
    One other advantage of having a energy survey report is that if you show it to, for instance, an insulation contractor and suggest that the survey is booked to be redone on completion of works, the chances are that the job will be done properly and/or the cowboys will not be interested in the work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Any idea on cost Mick ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

For full survey plus report, you'd be talking somewhere in or around 700 and a couple '00 less for full survey without report. When shopping around, enquire about training and experience and type of equipment used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Depending on what you intend to do or more to the point how much you intend to spend while mick the mans suggestion is a good one it may be to much in regards to your budget. There are now grants available for insulation and heating controls (www.sei.ie) and provided you are doing enough work to draw down a grant of 500 you could also apply for a 200 grant towards doing a before and after BER. It is not a accurate as the measures Mick has suggested, pressure tesing and Thermal Imaging but if you know you've got no insulation in your wall do you need to take a Picture of it?

Double glazing is not included in the grant scheme, but you could consider secondary galzing which is a new glass panel in side the existing window, not as effective but you get to keep your old windows.

I would reccomend that you check out the grants available, employ a good BER independant assessor with a construction related professional background, who may or may not provide airtightness and thermal imaging but can organise to have it done if required, decide on what works you need to do, get them costed apply for grants and then do them when approved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mullingar4me

No. 6, thats really good advice!!

We recently bought a 40 year old house near Mullingar. We employed an Engineer & Surveyor (who was also a BER assessor) to survey the property for us. He gave great advice regarding developmemnt potential and methods of improving the Energy Efficiency of the property.

He was able to explain the construction elements in great detail and the bes methods of improving each element. He explained really well how U values worked (method of measuring how heat is transferred).
    We even changed our minds about some things we were defnitely going to do and now we will be getting grants for the insulation steps we are getting done.

Yes employ a BER Assessor with both qualifications and experience in Building Construction. It was the best money we spent!!!

Sean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭cossworxenergy

Moira,

While the other comments are very right in their suggestions I feel that they would not fall within your budget. So my suggestions are:

Heating the kitchen:
    Install an instantaneous convector heater which would be a fixed installation powered from an existing socket. Come with built in timers and give out exellent heat.

Cavity filling with insulation is most effective and you would notice a dramatic effect. Warm air is just pouring out of your walls at the moment and I would make this a priority.

Attic insulation: If your attic is uninsualted id make sure to do so if it is add another layer.

Draught Sealing: Make sure all doors and openings are sealed. If you have timber doors definetely draught seal them and your letter box also. (Draught sealing rubber or brush strips attached to openings)

Lighting: You could install modern low voltage downlighters throughout your house this would be both decorative and give out good heat compared to cfl lamps.

Solar gain: Keep all blinds or curtains open where possible throughout the day to maximise the heat from the sun. Cost ya nothing!!!

Advertisement