Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roast Chicken Help

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

rubadub wrote: »
    Yes, so if you know what you are doing you can use luke warm water, which will be cooled in a few minutes. I would never freeze a whole chicken in the first place.

It is easier to just say do not do it, because most people cannot follow or understand simple instructions, so it is best to make them idiot proof. If you know what you are at it is not "wrong". If you know the basics of heat transfer & microbiology it is easily done, you should mix the water well. I have studied baterical growth and sterilization and have made my own sterile chicken dishes which will last in jars in a press at room temp for several years. But I know how to do it and do not take shortcuts, many do so. Government and general sites like this just presume people will not follow them correctly.

I have altered my pressure cooker so I can sterilize stuff very quickly, but I actually design pressure vessels and would never give instructions on how to do it online as I know people take shortcuts or susbstitute things.

Common sense is needed, but a lot of people lack it.

some of my points exactly:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Good discussion.

However there was no way I was going to take a risk when feeding others.

I also appreciate heartily everyone discussing where I was wrong, in apparently everything I did. As far as I am concerned I did what I thought was right at the time, in both instances. You just can't win on boards. I'll remember never to ask for advice again! ;)

Oh don't say that! Just don't blindly follow the first piece of advise you get, followed by blindly following the second!!!

Everyone advises in good faith but some are wrong.;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

rubadub wrote: »
    Yes, so if you know what you are doing you can use luke warm water, which will be cooled in a few minutes. I would never freeze a whole chicken in the first place.

It is easier to just say do not do it, because most people cannot follow or understand simple instructions, so it is best to make them idiot proof. If you know what you are at it is not "wrong". If you know the basics of heat transfer & microbiology it is easily done, you should mix the water well. I have studied baterical growth and sterilization and have made my own sterile chicken dishes which will last in jars in a press at room temp for several years. But I know how to do it and do not take shortcuts, many do so. Government and general sites like this just presume people will not follow them correctly.

I have altered my pressure cooker so I can sterilize stuff very quickly, but I actually design pressure vessels and would never give instructions on how to do it online as I know people take shortcuts or susbstitute things.

Common sense is needed, but a lot of people lack it.

Maybe i missed it, but you haven't explained how to thaw a chicken safely in warm water? Correct me if i'm wrong but are there not numerous bacteria that would thrive on raw chicken at room temperature that cooking may not kill off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

It's not only the chicken that you have to worry about - it's cross contamination of other items in the kitchen that you may not be cooking to a certain temp, or cooking at all.

Even acute common sense would fall short of guessing at how many surfaces would be contaminated when you cook a chicken in your home. Let alone a chicken defrosted in warm water which would have multiple amounts of bacteria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Well if the container of warm water is one container, the roasting tin is the other.
    take the foul out of the packaging it came in, place it in the warm water container, bin the packaging; after a while put the chicken on the roasting tin. cook it until the juices run clear - all bacteria dead, both on ad in the chicken and on the roasting tray.

• Advertisement
Advertisement