Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting cold

Options
  • 14-02-2009 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭

The years haven't been kind and I do no exercise what so ever. I'm even tiring during a round of golf. So hopefully this log will keen me honest.

I've the Dublin marathon in mind for October.

Monday 9th. 2.26 miles in 18 mins. 7.58 a mile
    Saturday 14th 2.26 miles in 18 mins, 17 secs. 8.05 a mile. Bit of toning work afterwards.

Onwards and upwards.

My aim is over the next month to get used to doing exercise, before any focus falls on pace or distance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Start small uberwolf and progress from there. Any running pedigree at all? - not that most of us have, and you have to start from somewhere. A marathon can be a daunting target, but get a schedule together (e.g. a Hal Higdon beginners...) and try to stick to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Welcome mate, best of luck with your running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Hey best of luck.
    You must have a decent enough level of fitness. Your pace for your first 2 runs is decent enough. Try not to push yourself too hard for the first few weeks. Try to run slowly and introduce your body to regular runs, don't race against the clock in training if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Hey best of luck.
    You must have a decent enough level of fitness. Your pace for your first 2 runs is decent enough.

I've a half hour walk to and from work. That is the only exercise I've done in 4 years. Harking back the years, I'd like to think I've a natural enough fitness, but beer does the darndest things ;)
    don't race against the clock in training if possible.

Clock comes out at start and finish only. The pace in my OP is based on not allowing myself walk at any point, rather than a sprint, it feels slow enough, and it's the endurance is the prob.

*aside* This log & discussion really is a motivational tool. Thanks lads&gals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

hi uberwolf you have the right idea, start small and build slowly.
    this will allow your fitness to improve gradually and lessen the risk of injury as you wont be pushing too hard too fast.
    plenty of time for a training plan when your body is used to running
    best of luck with your training and log

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Most of us have been in that exact situation - slow build ups and before you know it you'll be recording big weekly mileage totals.

As recommended above, take a look at halhigdon.com and review some of the beginners plans there. Pick a 10k race in April and aim for this.

Most importantly - enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Monday 23rd - 2.26 miles, 17.05 - 7.33 a mile.

Only did core exercises last week, got some work done on my back and some exercises to strengthen it.

Run felt good, strong for the most part and could definitely have gone further

Advertisement