Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help Please - Accessing files on external HDD

• 14-02-2009 6:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I've just bought a new Laptop which runs windows vista premium.
    My old laptop fell apart and used XP Home. I'm now using the old HDD as an external HDD but can't access the files stored in the my documents folder. I keep getting a

"you don't currently have permission to access this folder" click continue to get access to this folder.

I click continue and get a

You have been denied permission to access this folder. to gain access, you will need to use the security tab.

I go to security tab, I take ownership of the file. Then I go back to get access and I'm back at square one again, still unable to access the files.

Can anyone recommend what else I can do?
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

In addition to taking ownership, you need to give yourself the rights to read the files. At the top level under Security, add yourself to the list of users with full rights, with "all subdirectories" checked too.

BTW, XP/Vista systems lock files with a unique security ID - a number, not a name, so it doesn't help to create a user on the new machine with the old name.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved from Laptops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

bnt wrote: »
    BTW, XP/Vista systems lock files with a unique security ID - a number, not a name, so it doesn't help to create a user on the new machine with the old name.
    True for NT since the beginning in 1993. Never DELETE accounts. Only disable them as a recreated account of the same name is a different account.
    MS Knowledge Base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

That worked a treat. Thank you.

Advertisement