Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hdip in education

Options
  • 14-02-2009 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

Hey
    I've applied for the postgraduate diploma in education in UCC. Does anybody know when they inform you whether you've been accepted or not?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Moved from Graduate forum.

OP, contact the college directly and ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

You will find out in April, as far as I know, its the 1st April, but its definitely in the first week.

On another note, is there anyone out there who has applied to Trinity? Have you gotten interviews? What subjects are you doing??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

yep the first round of offers come out the first week of April.

NB: get your TP school sorted as soon as you get your forms and be persistent with principals!!

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

What are the fees for this course?

When i did mine 2 years ago, it was in and around the €5000 mark....may have increased since then, but information on course fees should be available from the universities' websites.

• Advertisement

this year the fees were around the 6000 mark and will go up no doubt by about 10% for next year. Im preparing for 7000, and bricking it to be honest, because I have no idea where I'm going to find the money!!

I think we can all forget about grants too considering the current economic climate!!

7000? ...thats sooooo much money for one year!!!

do anybody know if they've reduced places for HDip due to the fact that there's going to be a surplus of qualified teachers in sept with the cut backs?

Nead21 wrote: »

do anybody know if they've reduced places for HDip due to the fact that there's going to be a surplus of qualified teachers in sept with the cut backs?

they have indeed cut back on the number of places. By how much Im not sure, but I am certain that they have cut back alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

peanuthead wrote: »
    they have indeed cut back on the number of places. By how much Im not sure, but I am certain that they have cut back alright.

What is your source for this information?

I'd be amazed if they have cut back as it's such a handy and lucrative source of direct funding for universities at a time when they are crying out for funding, and demand for the course is still astronomical even with no jobs available. I can't see what incentive there is for them to cut back on places as the jobs shortage is hardly the universities' problem.

And the government, presumably, would be delighted to have the best part of a thousand people off the jobs market/dole queue for another year while this cohort simultaneously contributes - with fees - through the nose towards funding for the university sector. I can't see any political incentive on the government's part to recommend less places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Nead21 wrote: »

That surplus has been there for some time, long before the cutbacks ever occurred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

I reckon Powerhouse is right. Colleges want as many 'bums on seats' as possible. Can't see the number of places decreasing.

Well they have. An my source for that information was the interviewers who conducted my interview in Trinity college.

Why would the country want to encourage people to be out of work for a year, sucking money out of the economy in grants etc, rather than giving anything into it

And why would the Education sector want to entertain people who suddenly, with the realisation that their own sector is so unstable in terms of guaranteed work, have a burning urge to teach?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ciaranmccon

Quick question. I have been accepted for the Hdip in Education in UCD for next year, but still haven't received a list of schools. Its been a week now and my friend in UCC has already found a school. When do UCD send them out?

Quick question. I have been accepted for the Hdip in Education in UCD for next year, but still haven't received a list of schools. Its been a week now and my friend in UCC has already found a school. When do UCD send them out?

why don't you go onto the schools database on education.ie and make a list of schools yourself in the area and then start calling into the them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ciaranmccon

I did that, and some of the schools told me they were waiting to find out what subjects they needed hdip students for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

They have not cut back in places in Galway, know that because I asked a girl I know who tutors on it. They should and in my opinion freeze it for a while. Moratorium in place and thousands still training, makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

ciaranmccon
    I got a letter today with the list of schools within a 30 Km radius of UCC, guess you should have got it too. If not you can find it here

http://www.ucc.ie/en/education/EducationStudies/hdiped/bodytext,52699,en.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lee2886

Hey everyone! I have a quick question, don't know if I'm posting to the correct thread though. I'm looking to do my Hdip in Sept. 2010 and was just wondering if anybody could advise me on my chances of getting in based on my points.

I got a 2.2 in my Degree (Business DCU) which gives me 39 points and then I did a masters which I think i get 6 points for, giving me a total of 45. I fall short of the 46/47 mark that was required for business students last year.

Is there anyone out there who has, or knows of anyone, with business studies as their background who has gotten on to any of the Hips in Ireland with less than 46/47. Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lizeob

hey
    I am new to this. Just wondering what grade degree you need to do the hdip in education. I got a 2;2 in ba (history and politics) and dont know if its enough. Also is there anything I can do to earn points.

Please help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

lizeob wrote: »
    hey
    I am new to this. Just wondering what grade degree you need to do the hdip in education. I got a 2;2 in ba (history and politics) and dont know if its enough. Also is there anything I can do to earn points.

Please help

If you know your final degree percentage mark you can use this table to find out how many points you have.

http://www.pac.ie/pgdeinfo/PointsCalc.php?inst=pe

I think the points were between 43-45 to teach non business related subjects this year.

To earn more points you can do a postgrad. You get 3 extra points for a higher/graduate diploma, 6 extra ponts for a masters and 10 for a PhD.

• Advertisement
Advertisement