Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Setup on NTL broadband

Options
  • 14-02-2009 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I've read alot of similar posts but no joy.
    closest were :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055452078&highlight=NTL+wireless

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055452196&highlight=NTL+wireless

So not sure if this belongs here or in Wireless category but here goes ....

I am using UPC/NTL 10MB connection . Have regularly tested to speeds of 8.5 ,9 or higher ,so no complaints there :P .

Recently I set up a wireless network , using Belkin Wireless 802.11G Router with integrated 4-port switch and using WPA encryption.

Initially basic surfing was fine on each laptop/pc even concurrently ,still testing at high speeds.

As time went on (within 2 weeks) it seemed to grind to a halt :( .The use was not excessive.
    Downloading files (10/20MB) would freeze and have to be restarted ,irregardless of their source/type.
    Sites would have slow responses and frequently "page not displayed" .I couldn't even run a speed test.
    Streaming anything over 2 minutes on YOUTUBE would also fail.
    Connection setup Modem -> Router ->PC via Wireless and LAN cable (Main PC).
    The wireless singnal strenght was 90-95%.
    Same result (or lack of results) across the board.

I went back to basic configuration modem direct to pc with network cable (all fine).

My conclusion is that the router itself is slowing down all the traffic through it or causing bottleneck, rather than the wireless.

Is there any known compatibility issues here ?
    Or is there any settings I could change / logs I could delete ?
    Or is the only other option getting a new router?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated .
    Thanks in advance .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Are you torrenting? Some routers brick themselves and do that sort of behaviour if torrents are running

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

moving to wireless

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AL_otto_pain

Not Using torrrents , they caused too many problem with my last internet connection . I use rapidshare occassionally . Thanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Auslander

Hi

I'm having a similar problem with the same Belkin wireless G router.

It has broken my heart.

No repeatability of results achievable during testing of alternative settings.

Have tried everything.

I stand to be corrected but would suggest changing wireless router for the sake of your own sanity.

Regards

Aus

Advertisement