Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what size drill?

Options
  • 14-02-2009 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭

I have 2 screws and plugs to put up a small sensor outdoors. The plugs are white. How do i know what drill size, the packet the screws and plugs are in is marked 04 in the symbol for recycling* I think. And PE-LD is printed underneath the symbol.

*a triangle with an arrow going left on the bottom, upwards on the left and down on the right

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

RLJ wrote: »
    I have 2 screws and plugs to put up a small sensor outdoors. The plugs are white. How do i know what drill size, the packet the screws and plugs are in is marked 04 in the symbol for recycling* I think. And PE-LD is printed underneath the symbol.

*a triangle with an arrow going left on the bottom, upwards on the left and down on the right

All of those are only recommendations for recycling the packaging.

I'm no expert here and I'm only replying here because you have not got any replies yet and hope it's of some help.

IMO - measure your plugs and get a drill bit slightly bigger - ie if plugs are 6mm use a drill bit 7 or 7.5mm.

Anytime I see Hubby doing this he always taps the plugs into place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Compare your bits to the plug, i.e. hold them up together and get one that's closest, maybe a touch bigger. As dh suggests, once you've drilled the hole, tap in the plug then use the screws to fix the sensor.

Yes, I know it sounds rude, but that's what they call them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

dh0661 wrote: »
    All of those are only recommendations for recycling the packaging.

I'm no expert here and I'm only replying here because you have not got any replies yet and hope it's of some help.

IMO - measure your plugs and get a drill bit slightly bigger - ie if plugs are 6mm use a drill bit 7 or 7.5mm.

Anytime I see Hubby doing this he always taps the plugs into place.

What she said! Just get some masonary bits that you have and hold the top of the drill bit to the base of the plug and it'll give you a rough idea, you want a bit a shade smaller than the plug so that, like dh0661 says, you can tap it into place with a hammer and there is a bit of a grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭RLJ

thanks verybody

Advertisement