Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten litter tray problem (again!)

Options
  • 14-02-2009 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭

anyone can help me with my kitten, he is a mostly indoor kitten of about 5 months, he has been with me since he was 10 weeks and has a litter tray. he will use this most of the time, but occasionally goes outside of it.

first he was weeing on a spare bed till i locked him out of that room, now he is only pooing in the utility (where his litter tray is) but just not IN it. how can i discourage this before dh goes mental?

i have tried changing his litter more often, as well as changing the brand. and none of this helps, he will actually go right beside the box??!!! i think someone mentioned somthing about lemon juice?

for other unwanted behaviour i use a water spray, but this obviously wont work as i cant catch him in the act. any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

There is some sort of spray you can buy from pet shops, it will discourage the cat from taking a leak in places he shouldn't, we have had our kitten from about 2 weeks old (we found him), he is 6 months old now, and even from early on, he has used his litter tray, at the start, we put the litter tray in different locations, we found that by having it near the door helped and since being next to the door, he uses it all the time.

When you change the litter, do you clean the tray before re filling it?
    anyone can help me with my kitten, he is a mostly indoor kitten of about 5 months, he has been with me since he was 10 weeks and has a litter tray. he will use this most of the time, but occasionally goes outside of it.

first he was weeing on a spare bed till i locked him out of that room, now he is only pooing in the utility (where his litter tray is) but just not IN it. how can i discourage this before dh goes mental?

i have tried changing his litter more often, as well as changing the brand. and none of this helps, he will actually go right beside the box??!!! i think someone mentioned somthing about lemon juice?

for other unwanted behaviour i use a water spray, but this obviously wont work as i cant catch him in the act. any help would be much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

thanks for the reply, most of the time i do, but not always. he is now begining to venture outdoors and starting to do his business outside, but still comes in to do his poo. ill try the pet shop, i know ive seen stuff before called 'get off' but i think it was just for plant pots and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 DaddyOSphynx

Is he going in the same one spot by the tray or in different places in the room?

If a cat/kitten can smell any traces of a poo/wee they have done somewhere before, they will be drawn to reusing that spot so thorough cleaning is a must. I find Urine off spray expensive but excellent. Everyone has their own opinion on what sprays are effective. Biological washing powder and surgical spirit can help too.

A simple trick that has worked for me is putting a second tray (maybe just a tiny kitten tray) right next to the usual tray, over the spot where Kitty is pooing.

Sometimes you can overchange litter! I know that goes against the usual advice but the odd cat might prefer a small bit of his last poo dropped into a clean tray to help remind him where he is supposed to poo. You might also have success using a bit of potting compost or soil from outside in the tray.

A cat who poos inside will cause less friction with the neighbours so it is good your cat comes inside - it is just getting him into the tray now! Could there be bigger tougher cats in the area intimidating him? He might feel too vulnerable to poo outside so comes inside but then is pooing randomly around the utility room to bolster his confidence by spreading his scent marks all around the safe room.

Advertisement