Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Hate these "hired beggers" at the grocery stores.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Propellerhead

Shop at 2am in a 24 hour Tescos! Problem solved.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

CyberGhost wrote: »
    why should I give change, when it's going into some fat cat's pocket

This, and the phrase 'hired beggars' you used in the title, are the parts I have the main problem with. Are you suggesting that these people are being paid to collect money for rich people? From my experience, people packing bags are either raising money for a local organisation eg. Scouts, GAA clubs; or else someone is volunteering with a charity abroad and needs to raise money for it, and has persuaded their friends to help them. They're not being paid, and the money is going to a worthwhile cause. Where did you get 'hired beggars' and 'fat cat's pockets' from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

why should I give change, when it's going into some fat cat's pocket.

Ah god.

yeah, the leaders of all those local clubs and societies are serious fat cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Dante

phasers wrote: »
    They don't pack the shopping properly at all

Eggs under bottles of drink? feckin GAA clubs are the worst

Ha, clearly you've never had your bag packed by a blindman....

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cnocluinge

you know what they say at Tesco's "EVERY LITTLE HELPS" :pac:
    go on give 10c, break the bank, :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭NickCarraway

I pay them NOT to pack my shopping as they are usually clueless and squash the bread.
    I just get them to carry the shopping to the car instead. I mean, they have to earn the money someway, don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Kiera wrote: »
    Its for charity ffs. Is 20/50c gonna kill you?

It's not about the money, it's the fact that for some reason, I'm expected to pay them, it's an option, but it's a "guilt trip you into giving us" type of option.

And they couldn't give less crap about packing your bags properly, they just stuff it in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I remember when supermarket staff used to help pack your bags for you.......
    Not sure when that stopped, it was before the plastic bag tax. Did they stop hiring staff and pocket the savings?

If you fall for a guilt trip then it's your fault! How can you feel guilty? Hey, I'm sure many are worthy causes but I wouldn't give money to a GAA club as I subscribe to a draw for my own club. I don't support "Friends of x hospital" with billions already spent on the HSE. A hospice is a slightly different matter if they aren't getting much funding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭NickCarraway

Checkout staff, especially in smaller shops, used to pack your bag for you. They stopped literally the day the plastic bag levy was introduced. Where's the logic?

On the topic of nonces in colourful bibs collecting for whatever, do the Henly center still sell those raffle tickets? Knew a girl in college who freely admitted that when people didn't have the 2 euro for a card, but had, say, 1.50, they gave that to her and she pocketed it! I mean, they thought they were giving to charity!! And worse, she could see nothing wrong with it. Not sure if I'd call it begging or stealing.
    Why do charities always use smelly, bipolar, hippy students with a poor grasp of personal boundaries to obtain our bank account details in public? I'd rather be mugged thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

MIN2511 wrote: »
    FThey always seem to have young girls looking at you with puppy eyes and when i don't give i feel guilty :(

Same as that except it isn't guilt I'm feeling.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Same as that except it isn't guilt I'm feeling.......
    Hahahahahhahahahha.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

On the topic of nonces in colourful bibs collecting for whatever, do the Henly center still sell those raffle tickets. Knew a girl in college who freely admitted that when people didn't have the 2 euro for a card, but had, say, 1.50, they gave that to her and she pocketed it! I mean, they thought they were giving to charity!!

Those Hanley Center collectors are the most devious of them all!
    Assuming you're a guy, you're strolling down the street and you see some hot girl looking at you, smiling and giving you the eye ;)
    She then approaches you, smiles some more and then whips out a scratchcard and tries to sell it to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Had a guy,'life and soul of the party type' packin' the other day in Dunnes.

I'm checkin' out. "Have you got a bag buddy" says LASOTP.

"I have PAL" says I ,giving him the thousand mile stare,"whats this for? taximens benevolent fund?"

LASOTP wasn't too pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

mikemac wrote: »
    If you fall for a guilt trip then it's your fault! How can you feel guilty?

This. I suggest reading Infleunce: Psychology of Persuasion. Great book. Basically if you find yourself in an artificial setting designed to invoke a certain emotional response you need to realise what's happening and ignore the emotions you feel as you have been tricked into feeling them. Then decide whether you would donate if you weren't feeling guilt and if not, walk away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

In my local supermarket when I see these people begging for money, I go to the till with the cigarettes and small bottles of spirits etc. but only because I am not going to have some little **** who I have just seen pick his/her nose and then put their hands all over my food. They also have no idea about how to put shopping into a bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

I caught one of those people collecting for charity lovely with a kick to the throat the other day.....soon my legend among all charity collectors will spread and no one will ever ask me for change again......

....I'm just waiting for a letter through the post to confirm that so I can show it to the next charity collector so I don't have to hurt another one, god forbid!

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭tommiejoie

I always pay by laser so I never have any change to give them anyway. I never actually let them pack my bags. I'm only shopping for one, I can manage on my own thank you very much.

• I hate these people as well and I'm not a meanie. The reason I don't like them is they're usually NOT for charity. Why should I give someone money to do a hobby? One of my mates did bagpacking to raise money for some Church trip to Peru and tried to rope me into it. I didn't get why she just couldn't work and save up the money herself like most people do? I wouldn't dream of asking strangers for money to fund a feelgood trip to South America. If it's for an actual charity, totally different matter, although I hate when people feel they HAVE to give money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭djsupreme

Agree that they are a pain in the butt. Similar to toilet attendants. I can wash and dry my hands on my own thanks. I can also put eight items into a bag.

I would generally give to people collecting at entrances to shopping centres/supermarkets etc. That is a genuine case of "give if you want to". But I hate seeing grubby little scouts, Irish dancers, or sour faced mums going near my shopping. What if you're buying condoms or something in Tesco?!

Interesting point raised earlier. When did they stop packing your bags in supermarkets? I remember Crazy Prices in Lisduggan were the first to do it - about ten years before the plastic bag tax. People were horrified at the time!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I hate having anyone pack my shopping into the bags, be it kids collecting or shop staff, they always do stupid stuff like cram the raw meat in with the bread so I end up with lovely blood soaked bread :mad:. I'll always tell them I'll do it myself. If it's charities collecting, I'd usually throw a euro in the bucket as I'm leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

djsupreme wrote: »
    Similar to toilet attendants. I can wash and dry my hands on my own thanks. I can also put eight items into a bag.

Wtf? How is it similar in any way to toilet attendants? And I'm also sure that the bag packers aren't questioning your ability to pack bags. They're collecting for charity ffs. While I agree that people out collecting for their hockey trip etc should be told to GTFO, the large majority are charity run bag packs doing something worthwhile and for a good cause.
    While expecting people to give you money every time they go shopping is asking a lot, expecting a bit of commen courtesy isn't. Get a grip

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

I also dislike them and here's why:
    It's not that i'm too cheap to give them a euro, it's the fact that you can't seem to go anywhere thesedays without being hounded to give to charity/sports organisation etc. I'd prefer to do these routine, often relaxing errands with as little interruptions as is possible.

Shop at 2am in a 24 hour Tescos! Problem solved.

You do realise we're not afraid of them. Just annoy us is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Checkout staff, especially in smaller shops, used to pack your bag for you. They stopped literally the day the plastic bag levy was introduced. Where's the logic?
    The logic is that you are paying for the bags now so you probably want to use them more wisely. i.e. in the past they would have had no problem using 5 bags when 2-3 would have done. Also since you now pay it is your bag and they might not want to be touching "your property".

[quote=[Deleted User];59037982]I hate these people as well and I'm not a meanie. The reason I don't like them is they're usually NOT for charity. Why should I give someone money to do a hobby?[/QUOTE]
    That is true, many are not for charities, and even if they are I expect some are paid a % of the takings/beggings, just like the street beggars/chuggers.
    TimAy wrote: »
    Wtf? How is it similar in any way to toilet attendants? And I'm also sure that the bag packers aren't questioning your ability to pack bags. They're collecting for charity ffs.
    Some are not, and some would get a %.

I always pay by CC to avoid having coins, I rarely have coins on me at all these days. I also usually have a backpack so they never even ask if I want it packed as it is too personal an item to be handing over to some stranger.

Worst is when the place is so littered with them that you can't make your way out as easily. This always is happening in my local supermarket.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Sammag

'Tis very irritating here in Oz, the checkout people pack your bags for you as they are scanning, which in itself isn't a bad thing I guess, it's just really annoying how they only place one item into each plastic bag...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Sammag

djsupreme wrote: »
    Similar to toilet attendants. I can wash and dry my hands on my own thanks.

Oh Gawd do they still have those in toilets at home?
    They irritated the hell out of me, esp. the ones who set up an entire Duty Free/chemist shop all over the wash hand basin area. I agree - nothing more annoying than some strange woman shoving a paper towel in your face after you've washed your hands and expect a tip for the effort. Fair enough if you use some of their perfume/hairspray/deodorant/nail polish/nail polish remover/talcum powder/face cream/hand cream/headcream/toner/Impulse Body Spray/Hair Mousse/Hair serum/body cream/hair dye/shaving foam/wart remover/sunscreen/shampoo/toothpaste/footcream or aftershave then it's fair I guess to throw them a euro or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

They sometimes bag your shopping for you so that they think you owe them something. They always do it wrong anyway, crush my bread and smash the bloody eggs! Get your smelly paws off my stuff!:mad:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

[quote=[Deleted User];59037982]I hate these people as well and I'm not a meanie. The reason I don't like them is they're usually NOT for charity. Why should I give someone money to do a hobby? One of my mates did bagpacking to raise money for some Church trip to Peru and tried to rope me into it. I didn't get why she just couldn't work and save up the money herself like most people do? I wouldn't dream of asking strangers for money to fund a feelgood trip to South America. If it's for an actual charity, totally different matter, although I hate when people feel they HAVE to give money.[/quote]

Just to let people know, Scouting Ireland is a registered charity,Charity No. CHY3507 and enquiries on where money goes, can be made to Scouting Ireland headquarters, National Office, Larch Hill, Dublin 16

:)
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

WTF is a "grocery store"??

It's a shop goddamnit.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Everytime I go to tesco or dunnes store, at the end of the counter there is somebody collecting change for some "good cause".

I fecking hate them,

I don't want to give you my change mkay!? so stop asking me to pack my crap in the bag.

They make me feel like crap when I don't give change, and why should I give change, when it's going into some fat cat's pocket.
    Is there nothing one can do about this ****, complain to the manager or something?

bah!

/end rant

How is it going to some fat cat?: Its usually for a charity or a local club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

What about the rugby mummies,pony mummies,yauchty mummies dropping off a crew from the Q7 to collect cash to pay for the underage match in the same area as the next 6 nations game and a week skiing after.No wonder people are sick of them.Pay for you own hobbies and let the deserving causes do the collections.

Advertisement